...Were Trump`s comments about Obama Racist?...

by OUTLAW 178 Replies latest social current

• glenster
    glenster

Obama might be readng my posts:

Washington
    Revenge, they say, is a dish best served cold. But President Obama didn’t have
    to wait long to set out a big helping for Donald Trump at Saturday night’s
    White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
    The real estate mogul and possible presidential contender, who attended as a
    guest of The Washington Post, was treated to some zingers by the commander in
    chief.

Like this: “I know that he’s taken some flak lately, but no one is happier, no
    one is prouder to put this birth certificate matter to rest than The Donald.
    And that’s because he can finally get back to focusing on the issues that matter
    – like, did we fake the moon landing? What really happened in Roswell? And where
    are Biggie and Tupac?
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/The-Vote/2011/0501/White-House-Correspondents-Dinner-entree-Trump-roast-VIDEO

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    1) - The issue has been widely discussed about former California governor Arnold Swarzeneger - and it never was considered racism.

Two different issues: Arnold never claimed to be born in the US, (and he is Caucasian). The only discussion (not even a controversy) was, could he get around the requirement as a presidential candidate. Race was never in it.

I still do not see an answer to the double standard of proof being applied only to Obama.

• snowbird
    snowbird

3) - I personally (for whatever that is worth) have condemned the "birther" argument as nonsense many times here on JWN.

You certainly have, JWoods.

Sylvia, I believe, will confirm that I have several times in the past made a repeated effort to denounce racist posts here on JWN.

I certainly do confirm that, JWoods.

Yet, I will also continue to assert that Trump's comments about Obama's grades are racist, or at the least, racially motivated.

Syl

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

James_woods:

1) - The issue has been widely discussed about former California governor Arnold Swarzeneger - and it never was considered racism.

Could it be because he's white and European? Gee whiz, how obtuse can one be ?

2) - The issue was in fact NOT created by the Tea Party, Trump, or the Republican party. It was started by Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primaries.

Hilary Clinton; the seed. Tea Partiers; the sprout, the sapling; the young tree; the towering tree. It's very disingenous to mention Hilary in an attempt to hide the fact that the Tea Partiers inflated this issue 1000 fold.

3) - I personally (for whatever that is worth) have condemned the "birther" argument as nonsense many times here on JWN.

Still, you have made it obvious that you are a "fellow traveler" with these people regardless of a few specific issues that you may disagree with.

4) - We have a radicalized poster here who has said in the course of this thread:

You are speaking in the singular. Yet these statements seem to come from different posters; one of them is me.

a) - He hates all Republicans, Tea Party members, even people who watch Fox news.

Doesn't sound familiar

b) - at least half of all Republicans are racist.

I recognized this as a partial and distorted version of what I said in Post #171. I'll post the quote below:

Actually, criticism of Obama is both racist and/orpolitical. The proportion of political versus racist depends on each person. With a substantial number of Republicans being racists (46% of Mississippian Republicans want to ban interracial marriage*), it is obvious that both are motivations for any and all criticism. So why do you, James, claim that the race card is too easily being played? If you have such a substantial number of obvious racists, then it's obvious that they will criticize Obama on any issue.

* See page 1, paragraph 4, of the PDF.

And in Post #172, I stated:

c) - even if Trump is not himself racist, anybody who follows him is a racist, so Trump himself is a racist pimp.

Even though I said no such thing (using the word pimp) the thought of that statement parallels something I said, in Post #173:

JeffT:"I do not know if he is racist."

Jeff; whether or not Donald Trump is being racist is irrelevant. He is definitely a demagogue who panders to the prejudices of his audience, which is substantially racist. . . .

You have dodged that point several times. Why don't you come out directly and say:

Donald Trump IS NOT A DEMAGOGUE who panders to people who have a large racist element in their group.

Are you avoiding the question because it's obvious that Trump is a demagogue, period? That is the true issue. Not his racism but his moral torpidity in demagogically pandering to a group of hate-mongering idiots suffering from mass psychosis. And please don't focus on peripheral statements like the last half of the previous statement. Get some balls and respond to the issue of:

DONALD TRUMP'S DEMAGOGUERY REGARDLESS OF A LACK OF RACISM.

That is not a response to the poll that I linked to. I stated the logic of the situation very clearly. If there are so many Republicans in Mississippi that have such outlandish beliefs then it stands to reason that there definitely is a similar situation throughout the "Red States".

Please note that my statement about Republicans in general (not a specific state) says "substantial". The figure indicating that half of Republicans are in favor of making interracial marriage illegal is a reference to Mississippi Republicans. Mississippi is representative of the Red States that could swing an election regardless of their population.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

James, try as I might, I've lost track of what your point is. You seem to be personally defensive about the birther issue and other racist manifestations - but I do not see where anyone has accused you personally of being either a birther or a racist.

As for Trump, the majority of the posters on this thread (including myself) have either said they don't think he is a racist or they don't know if he's a racist:

Yes, I do think Trump's remarks, taken in context, are racist. Is Trump himself racist? I don't know.

You said of one of my posts:

d) - in an attempt (a pathetic attempt) to declare Trump a racist, at least one person has inexplicably brought up ancient racists like George Wallace and Strom Thurmond to somehow illogically associate them with Trump (no sense there, but it got posted).

The association was not drawn with Trump himself, but with the Southern Strategy* which I believe is what Trump (and the birthers) are employing for political advantage with certain demographics.

*From wiki:

In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to the late-20th century Republican Party strategy of winning elections in Southern states by exploiting anti-African American racism among Southern white voters and appealing to states' rights.

Syl: could you please bring me a cold cloth for my forehead and speak to me in soothing tones until I calm down?

• snowbird
    snowbird

*bringing an ice cold cloth and a glass of grape semi-sweet koolaid for Bizzy*

I believe JWoods is being deliberately obtuse; he's too smart for the coneheaded foolishness that he's currently displaying.

Syl

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yet, I will also continue to assert that Trump's comments about Obama's grades are racist, or at the least, racially motivated.

Syl

Maybe so, Sylvia, maybe so - I personally cannot stand Trump either. Issues of phony self-importance. I just don't have proof of the racist thing.

*bringing an ice cold cloth and a glass of grape semi-sweet koolaid for Bizzy*
    I believe JWoods is being deliberately obtuse; he's too smart for the coneheaded foolishness that he's currently displaying.
    Syl

My point here Sylvia - was not to say Trump was NOT racist - but merely to say that the proof has not been forthcoming. I think he is just an idiot self-promoter.

BTW - how did you know that I could be obtuse enough to be smart?

Am I also smart as a mule? Stubborn as a mule?

Thank you for being your usual intelligent and reasonable self.

Time for the others (one in particular) to let up on the hate.

James

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

BizzyBee:

James, try as I might, I've lost track of what your point is. You seem to be personally defensive about the birther issue and other racist manifestations - but I do not see where anyone has accused you personally of being either a birther or a racist.

The issue with James is not that he's defending the birther or racist POV or even the assumption that someone has accused him of either. His issue is something quite different. It could be labeled as, "No enemies to the right". That phrase ironically, is derived from the old Right Wing phrase: "No enemies to the left.

It basically means that a person with a certain ideology is hesitant to condemn or criticize, except in token measure, those who are more radical than him. I have actually seen, on this forum, posters who specifically said that they did not support So-and-So (Who's in their general political camp) and did not support a particular belief in general. Yet when a poster on the opposite side of the fence brings up that So-and-So has a particular belief (which they do not support), they come out with their guns blazing in defense of the So-and-So they never supported!

Needless to say, they don't even respond when they are repeatedly reminded that they neither supported So-and-So or his particular idea.

No enemies to the Right.

• james_woods
    james_woods

No enemies to the Right.

I actually never liked Richard M. Nixon. Pehaps you would entertain us with your enemy of choice on the left...?

BTW, both of us are AGAIN off topic - but the thread is so hopelessly off topic that the topic police think it no longer matters.

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

James_woods:

"My point here Sylvia - was not to say Trump was NOT racist - but merely to say that the proof has not been forthcoming. I think he is just an idiot self-promoter."

The irony here James, is that you were criticizing me after I repeatedly stated the Trump DID NOT HAVE TO BE RACIST in order to be condemned as a demagogue. You yourself have stated that he is a "self promoter". Being a demagogue is a bit more than that but is close enough.

Yet you insisted that I was engaging in "fractured" thinking and contradicting myself. The bottom line to me is this. You may admit up to a point that Trump is egocentric but you don't want to acknowledge either the racism of a substantial portion of conservatives nor the depth of the man's psychopathology. As I believe I've stated before, Donald Trump may not be a racist, but he is worse than a racist when he panders to other people's prejudices.

The particular case in point, that supports my contention, was his statement about Obama's education. That was both a gross falsehood and an act of pandering to those who oppose Obama, not merely for his politics, but because they want to see Obama degraded in any way shape or form. Such hatred is not likely to be founded on mere political differences. There is something more fundamental at work here.,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit