Biggest Harm Caused by Watchtower in AllTimeJeff Eyes.

by Scott77 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

I was just thinking, one of the ideas that causes much harm s the idea that there is "one true religion", and the "scriptural method" the WT proves it with, as in the Bible Teach book.

It reminds of the idea of a teacher standing in front of a class and saying "Do you know what the correct definition of beautiful is?" Then she looks slyly down at herself, and says "A beautiful person needs 6 things - a red dress, painted fingernails, curly hair, a beauty spot above her lip, big blue eyes, and she needs to have the name Amanda Saunders. Only if you have all these things, are you truly beautiful. Anyone else is a charlatan! " Then the class looks at her, and says "But miss, only you have all these 6 things! So you are the one true beauty in the world!" And the woman says "yes - that is absolutely true, how wonderful!"

JW's are the same. They tell unsuspecting people - "There is only one true religion." Then they say to themselves, we are the only true religion, so let us pick 5 things we have, and put that as the "criteria" for the true religion." So they do, and after people tick off the criteria, they look at JW's and say "but only you have these things! So only you are true!" And the WT says "Whoo-hoo, how wonderful! You have made us feel more convinced, and convinced yourself! Welcome!"

It's ridiculous. Such circular reasoning - and perpetuating this idea of the "one true religion", they do irreparable harm to many, since many cannot leave because of a self-imposed fallacious "list" of "identifying marks" of the "one true religion", that the Bible never discusses. And many who do leave struggle for years, because they think there is such an idea in the Bible, and there are a list of identifying marks, and only JW's fulfill them.And so they struggle in guilt and fear.

PP

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

You're welcome Paulapollos, and thanks for the further explanation as well. I would assume Debator is not intentionally lying, as much as he is uninformed of the true situation. Very unwise to speak on things we do not know.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

"Being a Witness is like going to the movies and keeping your eyes closed, and then expecting the Manager of the theater to give you your money back , when it's over"

• debator
    debator

Hi Paulapollas

I worded it badly but please don't put words in my mouth. What witnesses have done is the exact opposite to what you think I meant. We treat deaf people as equals and if you had bothered to look at my links You would have seen assemblies for the deaf community totally catered for them to enjoyed. We go into countries and become the people we are reaching too. I went to a recent Assembly it is honest to say every nation and colour, age, disability where there and it didn't matter, we were a family equal together.

I would respected you more if you had checked my links and No we are not rich people giving handouts to the poorer ones. We are the poor people made united and rich in our faith in Jehovah whatever our circumstances.

James 2:5
    Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poorin the eyes of the worldto be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

So compared to rich huge religious charities that make much of what they hand-out to the poor. We do what we do because we consider all people our equals and deserving to know God's life-saving message wherever they live and whatever their disability.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Debator, you have no comeback. It's apparent you didn't know what you were talking about.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Debator,

You statement is true and false...the members (for the most part) are not as well off financially. This is the effect of the org denouncing higher education for decades, discouraging saving for retirement...as well as various end-time predictions.

The WT is quite wealthy and can easily afford to hand out to the poor. They have cashed out quite well on what they have sold in Brooklyn Heights.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Debator/Reniaa..

I have no idea why you would bother to come back,under another name..

Your personal Stamp on Bullshit is easy to spot..

I went to a recent Assembly it is honest to say every nation and colour, age, disability where there and it didn't matter, we were a family equal together.

Yes..

JW`s are just so Lovey and Smootchy as long as your a Jehovah`s Witness or support the WBT$..

Other than that..

Jehovah`s Witness`s are just like any other Religious Bigots..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

Debator,

let me apologise if you feel I have put words in your mouth. But it was you who wrote that:

<!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

"we also have a worldwide sign language program for the deaf" and "Thankfully countries and people that see them helping in disasters, teaching people to read and write and do sign language,", and as I have written above at length, implied that this applies to deaf people.

Why not simply say "we preach to deaf people"? Perhaps because even that would show that you consider deaf people, and others, as possibly "special"? "Need our help"? Debator, for one second, look at what you are actually saying - if you really viewed deaf people, or others as truly "equal", you would not have drawn attention to them as an example of the "charitable work" the organisation does. I fear you are not up to date with the Society.

Secondly, you accuse me of not reading your links. Debator, let me assist you here. On my reply to your links I said this:

"also, read the news pieces carefully" And then I proceeded to discuss them.

If I had not read them.......how would I have been able to use them in my reply? Take a second to think about it.

Debator, I think the facts are simple. I know a lot more than you do about the Society's view of the deaf and other language groups worldwide, their translation and teaching requirements, and the progams for them, because I was heavily involved in it. I am fully aware that JW's are taught to view deaf people as "equals" - because I was involved in that. I know about the SL Assemblies - because I was heavily involved in program provision, formulation, development, and delivery.

It's not hard to understand, Debator - I know much more about the Society's translation and writing work in many languages than you do, including the views, methods, procedures, issues, problems and so forth - because I was there.

Debator, let me just make a point here. This isn't really an issue. You see, you made a mistake. And that's ok. Just admit it, and move on. For goodness sake, you got something wrong in a field you are not qualified to talk about, and I am a comparative "expert". Accept it, acknowledge it, get over it, and move on. Is it me, or is that "wrong"? Fellow posters, help me out here - is there something I am not being told? Is this indicative of a wider problem - is Debator unable to openly acknowledge he gets things wrong? Dear me, I didn't know he was Jesus!

And for the record, yes I do respect the work that many JW's do in terms of charitable giving. It is frankly ridiculous for you to insinuate that I do not appreciate the fact that many poor JW's have given in "blood and treasure" for the cause, and to help others. I am probably more aware than you are of what the Watchtower Organisation has done in various countries, both at a Branch level, and an individual level, particularly the UK. The Society still operates the principle of "do not let your left hand know what your right is doing"when it comes to informing general publishers. And that is fine.

You know Debator, you could learn a lesson from this in general. As the old proverb goes: "Those who know much speak little; those who speak much know little." Why not try to read things people post to you properly, and think about them, before you fire off an instant self-defense? It would help you make your points (of which you occasionally put forth truly excellent ones), and would help you to grow as a person. Perhaps these words from Proverbs 29:20 will give you something to mull over - "Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

With the greatest respect, my friend, you were wrong, and that's that. Why not take your cue from Proverbs 17:28 - "Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." and consider the matter closed.

PP

• debator
    debator

Hi paulopollos

I admit I haven't your experience in this field and have already acknowledge my wording was badly put. But your post does confirm how much witnesses do from an insiders point of view which I not so inside see the results of too. It's the fact we all as witnesses are poor and give in "blood and treasure" from the anointed to the publishers. It isn't an easy life but it gave and gives me Biblical answers I found nowhere else and for me is a truer form of love and not just about giving out hand-outs.

I could wish there were more Jehovah's witnesses on this site but it seems that they are definitely in the minority here. And despite my lack of great knowledge on certain subjects. I will try and defend witnesses against clearly biased and wildly exagerated statements of untruths about them especially like on this one where many tried and say they do not do charitable works.

It is hard to see so many people on here holding witnesses to an extroadinarily unrealistic degree of perfection they do not require from any other religion or organisation or even themselves and their family.

Despite a lot of ridiculing your post made some points I enjoyed reading thank you.

• dinah
    dinah
    I will try and defend witnesses against clearly biased and wildly exagerated statements of untruths about them especially like on this one where many tried and say they do not do charitable works.

Even I can call you on that..........even though I usually stay out of these "debates" where you show your ignorance of the "real world".

Oh yeah, we're all dead. Nevermind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit