Stayed up all night, see it is a cult now.

by gutted 122 Replies latest jw experiences

• Think About It
    Think About It

How is it best to deal with these ones when they ask what is wrong, why not going in service, commenting, etc.?

Suffering depression & burn out from whatever you do is never good enough and always being pushed to do more is a good answer.

Think About It

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

exjw2814 - I pm'd you

• petitebrunette
    petitebrunette

I just want to thank everyone for their posts, they're helping me immensely! One question I have...when you first started to find out about the truth of the organisation, did you still have doubts? Did you feel like you were seeing things clearly then revert to believing it still was the truth? I read Crisis of Conscience and am reading In Search of Christian Freedom. I will order the Stephen Hassan books. I'm confused sometimes and don't know what to believe.

To exjw2418: I really appreciate your thoughts. I've been attending a non-denominational church, and totally enjoy it. I never wanted to attend meeting at the KH, but want to go here. Its so refreshing. I'm still trying to read my Bible and see what it really says and stop judging all other religions. Its going to be quite a journey. I appreciate all your comments.

I'm also a born-in, ex-pioneer, family in Bethel all their adult life, etc...Also all my family is in, I'm the only one out of the org.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome Gutted. Great name.

Sweetpeas comment was very wise.

Take your time and try to relax, it's going to take some time to process this experience and come out the other side intact. Give yourself at least 6 months before you decide to do anything drastic.

You have spent many years in. Take a while to listen to the meetings with you new perspective and really make sure you are certain about the choices you are about to make. Also try to build up friends and a support group outside the organization so that when you cut all ties it is not so drastic.

• gubberningbody
  • Balsam
    Balsam

Awakening is tough, I went through a bunch of sleepless nights when I began learning about how the JW's are really a cult. It is so distrubing and blasts our belief's right out of the water. I feel for you, we all have surely been there done that. Sitting in a meeting after freshly learning that will just be mind blowing. Good wishes come your way Gutted from me.

Ruth

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome to the forum.

I too know the feelings you have experienced.I just shook when I made my first post here. I was "in" for over thirty years. At fifty-eight years old I feel like I am really living again for the first time in years.

You must not rush into anything. It sounds like you are a person who does not run headlong into anything without thinking it through. This is wise.

The fact that you care about your family and do not want to hurt anyone means that you are an upstanding member of the human race and willing to take responsibility as a man. It does not mean that you are lacking in any way.

Everyone needs emotional support. I think we can see the effect on some that evidently don't have enough of it: something like a tantrum when it seems their views are not seen as the all-important ones.

• penny2
    penny2

Welcome gutted, hope you find much support here. I faded over many years and I'm happy to still have a relationship with my JW family. For me, it was worth it. But everyone is different - don't rush your decisions and you will find your way.

penny

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I want to re-iterate my welcome to you, Gutted...there are so many good people here, please stick around.

And bluegrass, I'm shocked and appalled at your behavior. That senseless rant directed at someone who needs some real love from the so called 'big bad world' is completely uncalled for. Way to say just the right thing to turn someone back to the Borg...well done...sheesh

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Dear Gutted,

Please note that Blue Grass has also harrassed and insulted beloved long time posters of this board, and it seems he's taken a fondness to doing the same to newbies. First of all, welcome to JWN. Second, understand that learning the truth about the "truth" is difficult and often painful. Third, realize that part of being a grown up is not knowing all of the answers. You really don't have to commit to a belief system, one way or the other, until you've had time to check things out and decide for yourself. Whether than decision be atheism or belief in God/s, you will be welcome here.

I didn't have the opportunity to fade, because I was running for my life when I left the organization, but I've done lots of reading about fading. It seems to me that the easiest way to go about it is to move away from your home congregation. Career and/or scholastic pursuits would be the best reason/s for doing so. Keep us informed as much as you can on your progress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit