Ouija Board Hysteria

by Megachusen 135 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

OK Yahoo answers has a rational explanation

"The planchette (moveable piece that you put your hand on) moves around and selects letters (or the words "yes" and "no") as a result of people's unconcious hand movements. It works because of subconcious muscle movement known as the ideometer effect. If the board really was dangerous, Parker Brothers wouldn't have been allowed to sell it for so many years. Notice that no one has successfully sued them."

Discuss..............

• Twitch
    Twitch

"Don't use it outside"

Umm, you mean to say that if I'm indoors, I'm safe from the spirit realm? What if I leave the door open? What if I only close the screen door?

Sorry but I ain't buying it. If it works for you, great but my experience with witches, spirits and psychics was a letdown, as I expected, even wanted to see proof of something more but only got played by those with a talent for observation and manipulation. Even wanting it to be true is more than enough to make it believable. The mind is a powerful thing but I still can't bend spoons with it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My mother asked it what sort of pet she had - it said she had a skunk. Both participants knew my mother had a poodle.

I just had a long conversation with a friend who claims his grandmother, who was into black magic, used one all the time.

I would like to see the Penn and Teller vids if anyone knows where - as this is precisely what my sister and I discussed doing to determine if there is any truth these devices.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My cousin - the one who saw the water turn on and the toilet flush when he was 6 years old after the board was moved to his house, did not dream up his experience. His father was so terrified that he cast the board out of the house.

Some of this stuff is hard to make up. I know I did not make it up.

Jeff

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I gotta go with cantleave's take on this- the board is not dangerous- science can account for the subconcious hand movements- as for the board flying off the table or not being flamable- who threw the board and Parkers Bros need a thumbs up for making it safe by fire proofing it!

• megs
    megs

I agree with Lillith and Cantleave. There are no such thing as spirits... As soon as James Randi gives out a million dollars, I will believe, until then, there is a reasonable and rational explanation that does not involve things that go bump in the night.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

AK-Jeff. Your counsin needs to gat his toilet fixed! the toilet did that here for the first week before we had the plummer out to fix it- if it windy or the doors are not closed and latched properly they can appear to open on there own. Our new place is nearly 100 years old and the house has 'moved' due to aging- our hallway door swings open all the time (Not because of SPIRITS, NOT because once upon a time when i was 13 I played the Ouija Board GAME- simply because WE HAVENT FIXED IT YET!!!).

It is a never ending source of amusment to me- people with 'real' ghost stories and 'real' encounters with the spirits! my advice- get off the pipe and be realistic about it- 99% of the time there is a rational explination behind the spooky stuff!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No one threw the board. It flew though. Believe it or doubt it. I could care less. I know my mom did not lie.

Care to explain the lights turning on, the toilet flushing itself and the cabinet doors rattling the night the board was moved to my aunts house?

Subconcience mind no doubt by the 6 year old boy who got up to pee!

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Never happened before, and they had lived there for years. How about the water coming on?

It never happened again after the board was removed. They lived there 20 years.

Jeff

• megs
    megs

Jeff, why would a "spirit" flush a toilet or rattle a cabinet or turn on a light? Wouldn't they want to have the opportunity to express themselves through ouija?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit