Ouija Board Hysteria

by Megachusen 135 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

What kind of evidence would suffice?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

To put it simply, you can believe whatever you want. If you want us to believe it, too, you'll have to provide empirical evidence.

Really? I thought this was a thread about what some have experienced - why do we have to provide evidence for what we experienced? I don't even want to believe in spirits - why would I work to prove they exist? Others have reported experiences. You can't go back and recreate experiences so that the pseudoscientists here will find satisfaction that you are just an idiot.

Jeff

• Twitch
    Twitch

Anyone who has actually tried the board and would like to give their opinions are welcome.

I tried it with no effect. My opinion is that I don't believe in it or spirits. I debated my position to a degree. You should too. Believe what you want, it's your right. Don't expect or demand I should believe as you do. I agree to disagree; maybe you can too. Whatever. Don't take my opinion too personally; it's just my opinion.

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

"If you have an explanation, I would love to hear it."

I would need some sort of evidence to form an explanation. Since I have none all I can do is speculate.

Cars have been known to act strangely before(This, this, and this. Though these are more ussual than your experience). I'm sure you know that all forms of complex technology are capable of having weird glitches. Have you ever had your windsheild wipers turn on randomly when driving? I have. I've also seen a TV turn off while I was playing Mario 64 with a friend. We didn't automatically suspect that it was a ghost.

As far as the smell, if you know how our sense of smell works than you know that it's dependant upon the particles that we breath in through our nose. If you could smell anything related to this "spirit" than it was actually creating particles that you could breath in, meaning that it was a physical object. This means that, not only could we study it, but that the experience wouldn't even clasify as being supernatural anymore. I think that is the most interesting part of your story.

I suspect that had all of these things happened without finding the pentagram you and your family wouldn't have thought it was paranormal.

Though you could test it by puting another pentagram in your car and documenting what happens.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    Really? I thought this was a thread about what some have experienced - why do we have to provide evidence for what we experienced? I don't even want to believe in spirits - why would I work to prove they exist? Others have reported experiences. You can't go back and recreate experiences so that the pseudoscientists here will find satisfaction that you are just an idiot.

Jeff, I have been nothing but respectful. I would appreciate it if you would abide by posting guideline #1. No where did I say you have to provide evidence for what you experienced. I only said that without providing evidence, no one else is bound to interpret your experience in the same manner that you did. I have great respect for you as a poster and I am hurt that you have responded so vehemently to a statement on my part that did not warrant it.

What kind of evidence would suffice?

Did you watch the video I posted? It provides a partial answer to that question. The rest of the answer can be found by doing some research on empirical evidence and scientific method. I'll give you a summation here:

Scientific or empirical approach is inductive, and bases its explanations upon that which can be directly observed in a replicable or repeatable manner.

Empirical evidence cannot be used to prove the existence of God, a human soul or most other religious concepts. This does not cause me to disparrage those who choose to believe in such things. It does however constitute the basis for why I choose not to believe in such things.

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

"I'm sorry. Thought I was talking to a much mature audience. At any rate, enjoy the topic."

I'm sorry. I meant to say "fark you".

Better now?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

No, blue, I can't watch the video right now. Later, I will.

Mega, I have also had the TV turn off suddenly and such, but this was quite different.

I did do some research and I found out that sometimes a bad smell is associated with these kinds of experiences. i don't know why or how. I only know I physically smelled it.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I once tried an Ouija board and it spelled out:

"I'm not going to tell you shit. If I did, you might think this thing actually works."

Farkel

• Twitch
    Twitch

Mega, I have also had the TV turn off suddenly and such, but this was quite different.

I work with all kinds of electronic equipment and we attribute such things to "gremlins" :) Actually, as AV techs, if it works the right way all the time without fail or glitches, something is seriously wrong,...lol. You have no idea of the crazy, "unexplainable" things that happen but never have I attributed anything to the supernatural. There is always a reason and some of them are quite freaky, but always cause and effect.

Your TV shutting off by itself could be any number of things but is usually an intermittant short somewhere in the circuitry, either caused by a "cold" solder joint at the factory or as a result of a bump or shock to the board.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

I bought a shirt with a Ouija board on it the other day, just because of this very subject. Smurf stole it before I could wear it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit