Ouija Board Hysteria

by Megachusen 135 Replies latest jw friends

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

I always wondered why JW's were always so afraid of Ouija(Pronounced as "Wee-Yaw" not "Wee-Gee") boards. Does anyone have any speculation about who started these JW myths?

Anyone who has actually tried the board and would like to give their opinions are welcome. Me and a friend tried it out for ourselves and experienced a whole lot of nothing (except boredom).

In B4 ideomotor effect.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well, around here, we always called in 'Wee-Gee'.

My mother and my aunt were Jw's. They bought one. I watched them use it when I was maybe 12 or 13. The damned pointer went all over the place so fast you had to have a third party there to read what it pointed to. [Hence my presence in the room.] My mom took it out back and tried to burn it - it would not catch fire. Really! My aunt took it to their house - and though I was never a believer in such things deeply - they had all sorts of things go on - cuppboard doors banging in the night, water turning on without help, toilet flushing with no one in the bath, knocking on the door in the middle of the night. My uncle - who was never Jw - made auntie take it out of the house based on what he saw. He was visibly shaken.

My wife's sister [not a Jw] worked in a dept store that sold them. She was putting them away one day and the game she had in her hand gave her such an intense electrical shock that she refused to touch them any longer.

All these stories came from what I consider honest and reliable people. They had no basis to make them up - in fact, every reason to make up the opposite, in order to discredit the 'silly religious superstitions' of Jw's and other Christians.

Jeff

• dudeson
    dudeson

My mother(JW) also tried burning one my older brother had. It also would not catch fire.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I tried it with some friends a few years ago. One of them had apparently had some previous success. It was hilarious, just like Blithe Spirit with our own Madame Arcati! Nothing happened. I think our friend was normally aided by drugs, and on this occasion our fun was merely fuelled by Cheeky Vimtos. It was fun transgressing another JW taboo.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I thought that the myth was that they burned, but with a "cold" heat. lol

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My mom threw one of my Mad Magazines in the fire place..

Mad Magazines are demonized..LOL!!

It took a while for it to catch on fire..

More proof to my mom,Mad Magazines are Demonized..

.............................OUTLAW

• undercover
    undercover

They are afraid because they believe it is inviting demons to interact with you through the board.

They believe in Satan and demons so asking spirits to answer questions is spiritism and condemned in the Bible.

• TD
    TD

There was a thread two months ago on this subject that ended up locked. It's not just active JW's who are hysterical it seems.

• Girlie
    Girlie

Well let's see. I tried the Quija board and the spirit threatened to kill me. My 1st and last time messing with a Quija board.

Edited: Of course, calling it names while poking it in the eye could have been the probable cause of why it threatened me. lol

• Twitch
    Twitch

Like any other Parker Brothers product, it's a game.

"Am I as gullible as I seem?"

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit