Ouija Board Hysteria

by Megachusen 135 Replies latest jw friends

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

The stories of satan/demons freaking out over the name "Jehovah" don't even make sense. According to the bible myth, Satan isn't a coward - he supposively stood before God in heaven and challenged God face-on in multiple circumstances. That's right, he stood before the supposed supreme being of all the universe and spouted off against God. But when suddenly faced with some gullible group of little kids (often on drugs) in a bedroom and one says 'Jehovah' he suddenly freaks out? Yeah. Sure. Right.

If you believe these myths, you really need to reappraise your skeptisim/gullability. And if you still believe it after that... I have a buisness opportunity for you. (Funny how as soon as you add money to the picture, people wise the f*** up. Nobody will put money on something paranormal happening... they just like to tell campfire stories about it.)

- Lime

• megs
    megs

Reminds me of a recent story... phone ring, oven turns on... poltergeists? Nope, they are operating on the same frequency, scary, but not supernatural...

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/147548

• TD
    TD

For what it's worth, here where I live both the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses have "Demon Stories" associated with bringing each other's literature into their homes. These aren't as common as they used to be, but I still hear them from time to time having as I do friends in both faiths.

Books flying, night terrors, strange noises, the whole gamut. Mormons have allegedly tried to burn Watchtowers and failed. JW's have had similar experiences with the Book of Mormon.

--The human mind is a complex thing

• Satanus
    Satanus

A cool trick would be to put wt and mormon stuff in the fire, together. See which takes the longest to burn. Heheh. Heck, throw in a few different translations of the bible, too.

S

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    I don't even want to believe in spirits - why would I work to prove they exist?

One more thing, Jeff. I did not disbelieve you or your familys' claims about the events that happened. I simply say that I do not subscribe to the conclusions that you or they have made based on the events. You don't seem happy about those conclusions. So why am I the bad guy for offering the suggestion that alternate explanations may be possible? Is it wrong or insensitive to suggest that a more palatable alternative may exist? This does not call into question the veracity of anyone's experiences.

On another note, I don't understand the sentiment that some have expressed in that they do not wish to confirm whether demons exist. My next door neighbor might be a pedophile. If he is, I want to know. Knowledge is power. If there are evil spirits whose activities impact humanity, I likewise want to know. Then I have a sold basis of knowledge from which to make decisions. Not knowing something does not change the fact of its existence or nonexistence.

• homeschool
    homeschool

I've messed around with it quite a few times in my earlier 20's. MOST of the time, something crazy happened. The first time, I was with my best friend & his eyes got really big and he mentioned a spirit's name that was looking out over me ....and then he mentioned one who was out to get me. Everytime I messed around with it with him, crazy things were brought up...stuff from our childhoods. Then I was playing it with a girlfriend years later and she mentioned the same name of the guy who was out to get me. Yikes. A lot of crazy stuff came up. With the exeption of the two friends who came up with the same guy's name....I'd say its mostly your subconscious talkin'.

• darthfader
    darthfader

TD.. I have heard the same things (living in Glendale Az) we are replete with Mormons and JW's :) -- I agree the mind is a complex thing.

Darth Fader

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

It's hard for me to believe all 6 of us in the car imagining the same happenings, imagining the same smell, imagining the same book not burning.

You MIGHT be able to convince me that the car's circuitry went wonky 4 days in a row and never again, but all of it put together.....

• donny
    donny

Just a humorous addendum,

Back when I was 16 and working at Skaggs Albertons as a sacker and during the holidays, the manager would often get on the intercom and announce various things on sale. One day just before Chirstmas in 1975, Al Monday, an old codger of a manager, got on the intercom and was reading a list of games on sale.

It went "Hello Skaggs shoppers. We have a variety of fine games for the kids to enjoy this Christmas on sale in our game aisle. We have Monopoly, Life, Operation and an Orgy board."

A nearby checker girl said "Al it's Ouija!"

He replied "Same thing"

You should have seen the rush to aisle 14!

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Concerning the the pronunciation of "Ouija."

In effect, etymologically speaking, "Ouija" is composed of the French word for "Yes" [Oui], and the German word for "Yes" [Ja].

So, "by rights," Ouija should be pronounced "wee - yah." Except, when it comes to language, there are no "by rights." It is purely custom alone that determines usage."

"Wee gee" is currently the way people pronounce the word "Ouija."

One thing for certain is that words change in both pronunciation as time passes.

For example, is the first letter pronounced or not pronounced in the words "knight" and "knife"? Today - and during the last few hundred years at least - the initial "k" in both "knight" and "knife" is not pronounced; the initial "k" remains silent. But originally, a long time ago, the "k" in both words was pronounced.

Same for the "w" in the word, "sword." Orginally, the "w" was pronounced.

The rule is, in language, custom determines everything - what's "proper" and "improper," "correct" and "incorrect."

So if a person pronounces "Ouija" as "wee - yah," he/she is remaining true to the word's original pronunciation. The problem is that, in so doing, he/she is going against the "current" of popular usage.

Did you ever hear someone say "irregardless"? If you have, that person was wrong. "By all rights," you have to choose between "regardless" or "irrespective." It's incorrect to conflate the two words, and come up with "irregardless." And yet people do it all the time. Custom determines everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit