Ouija Board Hysteria

by Megachusen 135 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

What I find interesting is the evil spirits always talk about demons, Satan, Jehovah, etc , all from the Christian frame of reference in a majority Christian country. When JW's play with one it spells out stories that would freak out someone from the JW frame of reference.

When a Muslim plays with a Ouija board what does it spell out to freak people out? Christian? Infidel?

If a Buddhist played with one, what would freak them out? Reincarnation as an ant?

What about Hindus or Sikhs? Do they have scary demons in their religions with other names that would be spelled out.

It reminds me of when the WTBTS printed that mag about near death experiences. They said that people always "saw" the other side as something that was already in their frame of reference or validated their already preconceived ideas of what "heaven" was like.

The human mind is indeed a powerful force as is the power of suggestion. I had demon experiences all the time as a child. So did my brother. I also had them when I was disfellowshipped at 18 because I "knew" I no longer had Jehovah's protection. Do I think it's possible I imagined all those experiences because I had my mind drilled full off such horror stories for my entire life until I had the shit scared out of me? Absolutely!

Now, I'm a full blown apostate and nary a demon experience in sight. It's amazing how when you stop believing in other people's stories, they cease to have any power over you.

As for other's perceptions being "real", I tend to think of what the mind is capable of in distorted perceptions by thinking on the movie "A Beautiful Mind". Now there was a brilliant man with a brilliant mind, who imagined all sorts of crazy things and he absolutely believed them to be real. Such is the nature of mind. It is capable of great insight and great deception. To be able to tell the difference is wisdom.

Cog

"A neurotic builds castles in the air. A psychotic moves in."

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I still believe in God, Jesus, good and evil spirits so I would never mess with it.

I've heard too many stories from reputable people about them to say it's all bunk. Not like the stupid smurf story we used to hear.

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

I played with a Oujia board the other day with a friends' kid who has had lots of ghost experiences and believes herself to be a psychic. We used a glow in the board in a darkened room at roughly midnight as this was supposed to be the best circumstances... I had a couple of drinks prior to the experience... She prayed. We began. I felt the little triangle thingy moving a little bit. The girl asked questions. The triangle thingy moved around sometimes seeming to stop on a letter, but it certainly wasn't SPELLING anything. I started asking questions along the lines of "Are the Cowboys going to beat the Giants?" and "Is it a good time to buy stock in Pfizer?" Eventually she got pissed and said that the spirits wouldn't communicate with us because I don't believe and they wouldn't subject themselves to scorn.

Really? DEAD PEOPLE care what I think?

• Violia
    Violia

Really? DEAD PEOPLE care what I think?

lol

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

There is a reason these play boards are usually sold in children toy stores.

• Mary
    Mary

My mom tried it when she was a young (before she became a Witness). She said it worked for her.........

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

http://www.youtube.com/user/jerrywells1 check out that guys videos, I am trying to see how they are fake, especially the birthday one, I was thinking the friends and family members are doing stuff behind walls, but hard to 100% dismiss this....

• Londo111
    Londo111

I am reading this thread for the first time. A couple, not all, of these experiences by sleep paralysis.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

You guys might also want to read this experience. Coincidence? Maybe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bedlam_in_Goliath

• Londo111
    Londo111

Wow. I should not make posts so late at night.

What I meant to say was: A couple, not all, of these experiences sound like sleep paralysis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit