What can be done about those who go berserk with a gun?

by badboy 206 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Yeah, what's wrong with you guys? A shooting rampage back in the year 2000? Try to keep up, for god's sakes.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Keep the quotes coming. . .

John F. Kennedy: "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

George Orwell:"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

And, now, at the (very real) risk of invoking Godwin's Law, another quote...

Adolf Hitler: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms."

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    gun control + effective sentencing works in other countries

The statistics do not make your case.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I should also take this opportunity to show a little solidarity with the President. . .

I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures. The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view, and while it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe. Today’s ruling, the first clear statement on this issue in 127 years, will provide much-needed guidance to local jurisdictions across the country.

As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen. I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

This guy voiced Darth Vader. That counts for something.

James Earl Jones: "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

And this fellow, his picture is on some darn good beer. . .

Samual Adams: "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." (Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., 86-87, date still being sought)

• VIII
    VIII

Here is one story from the local ABC station in Chicago about a man who had an illegal handgun and who shot an intruder in his own home. The same dumbass criminal came back two nights in a row to rob (possibly assualt) his family.

The suburb, Wilmette, is one of the most expensive suburbs in the Chicago area. It is in the same county as Chicago.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6229712

He shot, the criminal survived and got two years and the homeowner was fined $750 for violating the handgun ban.

Man's home gets broken into, cops don't do crap, he protects his family, he gets fined.

That's f^cked up.

Here are the Illinois gun laws, simple:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=resources&id=6059933

• Robdar
    Robdar
    A shooting rampage back in the year 2000? Try to keep up, for god's sakes.

2000 was mentioned for a reason. Did you even look at the stats on that link? I'm thinking you did and do not have an answer (as usual) but are still trying to appear witty.

As difficult as it is, do try to keep up.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Jefpainthorse aka Hillbilly

Hillbilly! Welcome back, my friend. Why did you change your handle?

• besty
    besty

Robdar has kindly posted a media link concerning a smaller UK city - Nottingham - where robbin' Robin Hood famously robbed the rich to give to the poor, so a town not unfamiliar with larceny. Nottingham has become linked with a high incidence of gun crime in the UK - twice the national average in fact, and up to 5 times higher than the safest similar sized towns in the UK.

Robdar previously contributed a media link about a armed guard who shot the shooter - the guard admitted to God voices in her head - the shooter we can safely assume also had issues.

Cherry-picked situations like these make the media because they are newsworthy - unusual if you will. So not really the most compelling way to make a comprehensive argument for a national policy - but nonetheless they do have an immediacy that makes them interesting for what they are worth.

The facts are as follows:

In an international league table of murders with firearms per capita the UK is ranked 32nd with a score of 0.00102579 per 1,000 people. Right down there with New Zealand etc.

The US is ranked 8th highest with a score of 0.0279271 per 1,000 people. Outgunned only by the bastions of freedom, peace and the rule of law in Zimbabwe, Mexico, Colombia and South Africa, Costa Rica, Belarus and Thailand.

(Higher ranking is worse)

source: Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems

Lax gun control makes death by gun more likely. Well blow me away and call me unlucky Dirty Besty - I could never have worked that out on my own. The only question left is when is the US delegation to Mexico asking for gun control advice is setting off?

As a leading civilized nation the US should be equally concerned about its high placement in the gun death league table and its low placement in the healthcare performance table.

Hope that helps. 0.02. IMHO etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit