What can be done about those who go berserk with a gun?

by badboy 206 Replies latest jw friends

• villabolo
    villabolo

Some basic training in how to seize and or jam the weapon would be practical. You would have to be face to face with the armed individual, which I don't recommend you do, but if you have no other choice you could grab the weapon and jam it by playing with the action. If you're knowledgeable with how a semiautomatic works and have some good luck in jamming the gun you should, if the gun is still in his hands try to wrestle it away and or engage in a fisticuff.

Another thing, which Hollywood movies shows, are two guys wrestling with the firearm and trying to get it to point at your opponent. In reality, if it's a rifle and you can get it within a foot of his head it does not need to go much further because pulling the trigger may knock him out or disorient him with the shock of the muzzle blast. The bullet itself doesn't have to hit him at all to give him a concussion.

Yes I know this all sounds crazy and desperate, with as much danger to yourself as to the shooter, but it's better than nothing.

villabolo

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Some measure of personal preparedness would be a good thing, Vill. Still, I doubt that most of these situations could be prevented. Often these crimes are long planned in the mind of the person who commits them.

I know of no system/plan/education that can eliminate mental illness and it's attendant problems. Clearly - no matter the legal definition - those who do these acts are mentally ill.

Look at Columbine, Lennon, etc. Acts of desperation planned long in advance, by people that were able to hold it together until the act without detection.

As often said - Guns don't kill people. People kill people. They did it long before guns were invented - though they do it more effectively with them.

Jeff

• besty
    besty

I love that post above from Bendrr - more guns = less death. Welcome to America.

Now thats what I call compelling argumentation.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I agree with Bendrr 100%

• 504deist
    504deist

I love that post above from Bendrr - more guns = less death. Welcome to America.

Now thats what I call compelling argumentation.

i also agree with bendrr. Si vis pacem, para bellum. that's my motto. fact is, if more responsible people would arm themselves, the bad guys may think twice before going on one of their little rampages. even if suicide is their motive, you can save lives if lead is returned quicker.

• oompa
    oompa

there are well over a billion guns in the world besty......i wish there were none......yet more have probably died from swords than guns.......

what i do know is that if gun production was totally halted.....and banned from legal ownership.......i am pretty sure those guns would be available for decades or more to criminals.......they are like pandoras box.......

personally......i live in a very secluded place......i so wish my jw wife would learn to use or even want to use one of my guns if ever the need be....no one would ever hear her scream....yet she is not willing to pick up a gun and pull a trigger......i dont get it...........oompa

• leavingwt
  • The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Human psychology is the real dangerous weapon that at times can randomly kill, guns are just a tool that it uses to accomplish that feat.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I agree with Bendrr. So does Jeanne Assam, the security gaurd who shot the shooter at New Life Church in Colorado Springs.

http://northshorejournal.org/jeanne-assam-hero-for-our-time

• besty
    besty
    I agree with Bendrr.

and 7 million JW's agree that 9 old men in Brooklyn are the voice of God on earth.

It doesn't make sense to suggest that more guns for more people will somehow make for a happy ending, and the facts bear this out:

The USA is already at the top of the class for per capita firearm related death in developed countries.

Adding yet more guns doesn't seem to be a well-thought out strategy. The logical approach for herd survival is to have less guns, not more.

Perhaps a better idea is to focus on moving the USA up the table for healthcare performance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit