What can be done about those who go berserk with a gun?

by badboy 206 Replies latest jw friends

• LightCloud
    LightCloud

I am thinking the same thing Hyb. I don't own any personal firearms. I was never the type of guy that need to have a big collection of guns around to make me feel safe at home. The family dog, a baseball bat and a decient amount of self defence training made me feel safe enough. I have never been the big hunter type either. I have only used a pistol or rifle on the job. Are there guys that own guns that really scare me, heck yeah. And there are tons of weapons out there. I forget where I read it but the factoid went something like there are more privately owned firearms in the US then the combined armies of China and Russia combined.

I think the genie is out of the bottle though as far as guns are concerned and there is really no way to put it back in. Background checks are good. Mandatory safety training is good. But beyond better enforcement of existing laws, ie felons cannot own a gun, etc. There is not much else to be done. There is something to be said about violence in our society though. I was watching a documentary about gangs and they were interviewing some kid and he was talking about how he just got a kick out of smashing people in the face, just random people who had never done anything to him, he got a thrill out of it and all his boys seemed to agree that was the thing to do. Now don't get me wrong there is a time and place for some violence its just a part of human existence but to totally disconnect it from any kind of morality is heading us down a dark path.

• 504deist
    504deist

if my house gets broken into I will kindly offer to help the baddies load my stuff

then I'll get some new stuff - seems much more civilized for all concerned

i sincerly hope your joking. are you actually saying we should be cival to criminals? holy crap. wtf dude. if they want to rape your wife will you hold her legs up? we wouldn't want to be un-cival would we? sorry to say something so cold, but, man, pull your head out of your ass. and after you save up, and work hard, and buy new things, here they come again. do you let them take advantage of you again? you cannot be serious.

• besty
    besty

the city I live in has had 1 criminal homicide in the last 4 years and averages about 30 domestic robberies per annum

no need to get too stressed about that sort of thing

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I can understand the point trying to be made of gun violence and healthcare.

Americans demand the right to use a gun on someone, but they refuse the victim the right to public healthcare to plug the bullet hole in their brain. If owning and using a gun is a basic right of a person in the USA then getting that bullet out after getting shot should be just as much a fundamental right. This goes back to healthcare being a right vs a privilege. In this country, having a gun is a right - healthcare is a privilege - you are entitled to the first but not the second.

The USA has something like 200 milliion + guns in the country with a population of about 350 million. I don't think the laws are going to do away with guns here, but it would be nice to see mandatory training in all States for gun ownership. Perhaps a police check first, followed by a training course that includes cleaning and safety etc and a cooling off period of a few months instead of a day or so. Maybe some greater accountability for people who don't follow safe gun ownership so that it might help stop some of the accidents like the little boy in Vegas who just shot himself in the head with his fathers gun. I can see both sides of the argument - I've been around guns enough but I also believe that guns make it easier for people to kill more people. There are always people who will murder by other means because they are nutbars, but one person with a gun can kill 50 people in a few minutes - if that same person had to go up close and personal with a knife, the chances are that they might get to one person before being tackled - if they attempted it at all. sammieswife.

• 504deist
    504deist

the city I live in has had 1 criminal homicide in the last 4 years and averages about 30 domestic robberies per annum

no need to get too stressed about that sort of thing

live in a big city for a while, then come talk to me. i live in new orleans. this is a very violent city. most of the time, the violence is contained to certain areas that are known for drug trafficking, but, it is still dangerous. a few months ago, a bartender was walking home when 2 thugs robbed her. she gave them her money, and after she did they shot her in cold blood. another woman was in her home when some scum broke in, robbed raped and killed her. sorry, i WILL NOT be cival to vermon like that.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

What can be done about those who go berserk with a gun? besty reply: shoot them LOL!!!!!!!! You WIN! Reply of 2009 Award clap1 I love it .

• besty
    besty

i've lived 10 years in London and now 18 months in LA - i'm just a statistic - never been in a violent incident and probably never will be

thanks for the props DD - somebody had to say it and I just happened to be first on the scene :-)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Americans demand the right to use a gun on someone, but they refuse the victim the right to public healthcare to plug the bullet hole in their brain.

Ah geez Sammie. That is such a stupid line of reasoning it isn't worth a reasoned response. Trust me, if I am in a situation that I have no choice but to shoot someone, they will not be requiring healthcare services.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Trust me, if I am in a situation that I have no choice but to shoot someone, they will not be requiring healthcare services.

Same, here.

Two to the chest, one to the head. The last thing I want is a court date.

Castle Doctrine + Firearms Permit = Call the Meat Wagon, we're done, here. "He lived like a dog, he died like one."

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Double tap at least. But it never hurts to be thorough.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit