What can be done about those who go berserk with a gun?

by badboy 206 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    the sooner Simon implements the ability to ignore certain posters the better.

Mentally defective crybabies can't see opposing views. Their cognitive dissonance starts to hurt.

Here, besty, rub a little on that cogdiss so you can feel more comfortable.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Some of what I have learned from looking at various statistics"

Violence is higher in US than UK, including violence against self. (suicide)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_sui_rat_in_age_15_24-suicide-rates-ages-15-24

Firearm ownership is higher in US than UK, and these firearms are used as weapons in some violent act in both places.

People in UK are more likely to nick a copy of MS Office. UK-#97 US-#107 for software piracy.

I could not find anything about firearm ownership rates or crimes that were prevented by firearms at nationmaster. Yet these numbers are among those needed to evaluate whether firearms are a net benefit or a liability, and to form a policy about them. Here is an interesting chart of ownership rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_gun_ownership

Compare to this.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Very little correlation between rates of gun ownership and murder rates.

One interesting thing about ownership statistics, it makes it look like 90% of Americans are packing. Not so. Elsewhere there is a number of 39% of households having firearms. For everyone who had a collection of guns there is that many people who are not packing.

One thing to watch for when someone is slinging statistics is the numbers they do not tell you. Here is something from commondreams.org:

States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2009/05/06-1

They conclude that higher rates of firearm ownership correlates with higher rates of gun deaths. Duh! I suppose higher rates of auto ownership correlates with a higher rate of auto accidents. So what did they not tell us? They did not tell us the overall murder rate in these places so we could see if they are inherently more violent, which could also lead to perceived danger and higher firearm ownership rates. They also did not give us any numbers about criminal acts that did not happen because they were repelled by someone with a firearm. The press release makes a case that if there are more guns available then someone will more likely use one to commit a crime, but is pretty useless for developing any sort of public policy.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have not read all of this thread, so this post may be off, so if it is just ignore, won't be the first time !!!!

The info on Australia is almost a year old, so don't know what the stats are now.

Mass Murders Agree... Gun Control Works!

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935.
    From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political d issidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

---- ------------- -------------

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
    The first year results are now in:

List of 7 items:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.
    2 percent

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.
    6 percent

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.
    Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this datum on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

• avishai
    avishai

Thanks, purps

• kurtbethel
  • brinjen
    brinjen

Err Purps... the Australian national gun buy back scheme was in the late 90's... those figures are a lot older than 12 months.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Link to much more recent trends in Australian crime can be found here... http://www8.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/ViewContent?readform&view=productsbyCatalogue&Action=Expand&Num=4.5 These are the official figures as collected by the Australian Bureau of Statistics which actually show a downward trend in violent crimes.

I'm in a mixed bag here... I don't like guns, having said that, I'm not sure gun control is the easy solution it's often sold as. I don't believe we're any better off because of gun control, I don't believe we're any worse off either. But Australia was never exactly a highly armed country and most of those who turned their weapons in, did not have them for protection purposes in the first place. What's the solution? I'll be honest, I don't know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit