What can be done about those who go berserk with a gun?

by badboy 206 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

*sigh*

These are official government figures. Where do you think the UN pulls their data from you clod?

BBC

n an average day in Britain, two or three people will be murdered. The UK currently has a homicide rate equivalent to the mid-Victorian period.

The prevalence of murder seems a reasonable proxy for the health or sickness of a society and this deteriorating picture of our islands perhaps tells us something about the profound problems of social cohesion.

teen homicide mapThis Map of the Week is part of a fascinating project conducted by my colleagues at the BBC News website. In the absence of relevant statistical information, the team trawled through newspaper cuttings, police records and other sources to produce a map of violent teenage deaths in the UK this year.

If you click on the image on the right, you'll be taken to the interactive map, which you can zoom in and out of to move between individual incidents.

Each of the purple icons reflects an appalling individual tragedy with the associated pain and suffering for families, friends and all those caught up in the incident. But what is the bigger picture?

entre for Crime & Justice Studies - click here to enlarge

If we look at the murder rate from 1967 through to the turn of the millennium, it is obvious that the prevalence of homicide has been rising. There may have been a flattening or even a slight fall in the years after the graph but the likelihood of being killed by another hand is more than double what it was forty years ago. That thin black line shows we are a more violent society.

But it is not the whole story. While the murder rate has been rising overall, for most of the groups in the chart below, it has been falling. I am indebted to research published by the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies for this telling illustration of changing risk.

graph showing change in murder rate in the UK between 1981-5 and 1996-2000

Centre for Crime & Justice Studies - click here to enlarge

Here we compare murder rates by age and gender between 1981-5 and 1996-00. The most striking feature of the graph is that it reveals how the risk of homicide to women has fallen or remained stable for every age group with the exception of baby girls.

For men, it is the reverse, with rising risk for almost every age group. However, the real change is in a doubling of the risk for men in their early 20s and I would guess that more recent figures would see the line for teenage boys extending further too.

Who are the victims? Well, by and large, it ain't rich folks.

Looking at murder rates by wealth reveals how, in the most well-off areas, the murder rate has fallen 4-7%. But the poorer the neighbourhood, the more the risk has increased, with the most impoverished areas seeing a 39% rise.

mortality ratios for murder in Britain, by wealth, 1981/5-1996/2000

Last from the UK, this chart shows how the method of murder also changes depending on the wealth of the area. Many victims of murder with a firearm are from wealthier areas, perhaps because it tends to be those with money who have shotguns and similar weapons in their homes.

Methods of murder by ward poverty, Britain, 1981-2000

Finally, a global perspective on murder. This map twists the world so that a country's size equates to its homicide rate.

Murders, manslaughter, and 'lawful' homicide by territories of the world, 2002
    Murders, manslaughter, and "lawful" homicide by territories of the world, 2002. Colours simply differentiate nation-states. Courtesy Danny Dorling of the University of Sheffield.Larger version at the Environment & Planning website

The USA appears smaller than some might have guessed, while parts of South East Asia are very large. The UK looks bloated compared with continental Europe. As ever, I would appreciate your observations

• BurnTheShips
  • besty
    besty

I studied the charts you posted with interest BTS.

The 1st one from the blog schizophrenia.com covering 1990 -2002 shows the US homocide rate declining from 10 to 5 per 100,000 and then flattening steady at 5. The UK is unclear on this scale but appears to be stable around 2.

I'm not convinced this chart is persuading me to your point of view - like you say without irony - it's always been bad here. It made me wonder though - when did the UK last have a homicide rate at 10 per 100,000?

Seems that about 350 years ago we had 10 per 100,000. Keep at it - you have done the hard yards. A few hundred years should get you down to the 2 range.

Why not plot your 2nd graph on the scale of your 1st graph? Damned statistics.

But anyway like your groupie said - you handed me my ass. NOT.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Besty (sigh)

firearms are not banned in the UK - they are licensed - get the basics right please

From the BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1440764.stm

A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned...

The ban on ownership of handguns was introduced in 1997 as a result of the Dunblane massacre, when Thomas Hamilton opened fire at a primary school leaving 16 children and their teacher dead.....

• besty
    besty

Britain has more gun control and less gun related deaths per capita.

You said a moment ago 'the US has always had a higher homicide rate' . Deal with it. Trade in your AK for a new logic razor.

TTYL

• besty
    besty

not clear on the difference between firearms and handguns now?

firearm - a weapon that fires bullets

handgun - a weapon that fires bullets designed to be used with one hand

subtle - ain't it?

get the basics right etc.....

jesus - this is meant to be a thread to meet the experts.......

EDIT- TTYL as well

• Robdar
    Robdar

jesus - this is meant to be a thread to meet the experts.......

And you are such the expert. Have I told you lately what a beautiful font of intelligence you are? Please forgive me for not being specific enough in differentiating between hand guns and firearms, even though hand guns are firearms, your highness.

~Sigh~

• Robdar
    Robdar

EDIT- TTYL as well

"Tough titties, ya lassie?"

~giggle and sigh~

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Britain has more gun control and less gun related deaths per capita.

Notice the subtlety there? He starts out demanding homicide stats (of all kinds), then subtly changes to gun related deaths.

BTS

• Robdar
    Robdar

~grin~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit