**** Some people don't teach their children manners. Grrr. ****

by FlyingHighNow 277 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    such as the deliberate misspelling of a person's name.

Oh wow. Deliberate? Not only are you crabby. You're paranoid. I'm not a great speller. This is obvious on most of my posts. Gosh. I'm just shaking my head. I wonder if you also need to read some books about menopause.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This entire situation is something that would be on both ends of the spectrum with my daughter.

I would want to be peaceable at all costs, thinking of the other persons needs first, before my own, assessing the situation. It's a public place, and unless it says Adults ONLY or Children ONLY, I would think it was first come, first serve. I might think the entire situation is not right, but I for one, have bounderies and want them to be respected and I try to do that for others.

How I was raised to respect all adults in all situations was very damaging to me. I could not learn to assess a situation appropriately, my first response was to be polite and mannerly. Which is fine under the watchful eye of a parent, but when manners are stressed to a point that discernment is not being used or cannot be used, if the recipiant is undeserving of fine manners it can be taken wrong. If that makes any sense. Using manners well is an art that I think very few people have.

I don't feel the need for a child to HAVE to automatically give up their seat to an adult. Or automatically have to give up anything to an adult.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Scully, this is an excerpt from your very first comment this thread. I'd say your comment is making it pretty personal:

Oh, and while I'm at it, good netiquette requires post titles to be non-attention seeking, i.e., no ******** etc to make them stand out vs. other titles, a practice for which you are well known, FHN. Not that I really give a crap, but since you are so focused on being mannerly, please keep up with the trends.
  • Scully
    Scully

Brother Apostate:

You should be happy to sit on the floor, seriously. If you had to survive, would this really make a hill of beans difference? You are spoiled by a life of luxury, as is the family you described in your OP.

Well said.

FHN, maybe you'd be better off doing your free reading at Barnes & Noble, instead of the Public Library. You might get a cross section of people who feel just as entitled to respect as you do.

• Scully
    Scully

FHN:

Your first mistake was criticising (ie, disrespecting) that woman's parenting - especially doing it in front of her children. You sealed your fate when you said:

"When I was a child, we gave up our chairs for adults." I gave her my "You're not slippin' that one by me, honey" look. "I know you know better."

Trying to guilt (manipulate) people into getting your way doesn't fly too far these days. Had you asked if it was possible to share the seating, you might have a better result.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Scully, I don't know about you, but I borrow books from the library and take them home to read. I usually look them over first to decide if the book is what I need or want to read. This thread is about teaching kids manners. Most people I run into everyday are respectful. I think that it's not so much whether I sit on the floor, or in the children's section as it is my feeling that some parents do not teach their children good manners. If you don't agree, that's fine. This is a discussion forum. You got pretty irritated and personal from your first comment.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The result was fine. I walked away and sat in the children's section. You're correct. I am wrong to assume the woman knew better. It's possible her parents didn't teach her good manners either.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Boy this thread really hit a sore spot with me.

Being raised JW it was always pounded into us that children were to show respect to all adults. It was assumed that all adults were worthy of the respect of children.

All the while the society never showed one iota of respect for children.

The never came out and stated it but the message I got was loud and clear, this is what I learned being raised in the borg.

1 Children are not as worthy as adults.

2 Adults are always right, children are always wrong.

3 The normal stages of growth that children go through are unacceptable and must be severely controlled.

4 Adults’ having the right to kill their own children for disobedience is a good thing.

I hate it when someone complains about disrespectful children because it drags up all those crappy, unloved, disrespected, worthless, feelings I had as a JW child.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If you have personal problems with me, you can PM me. I understand you're not going to like everyone at JWN and that some will irritate you. I think you've made this abundantly clear.

Now, I'd like to get the thread back on track.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I was taught to show manners to adults. I was raised Episcopalian. There are always reasonable exceptions to the respect an adult rule.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit