Oh My Gosh! I just discovered Cornbread Casserole!

by mrsjones5 114 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I lurve cornbread!

I made Shepherd's pie earlier tonight, mmmmm.

My wife makes a sort of sweet griddle cake from fresh corn cut off the cob, they are called cachapas. If the corn is super fresh, they are naturally sweet, and you put salty cheese on top. A contrast. Ummmm. Here is the recipe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cachapa

Now you are giving me a craving for hot cornbread with butter...I think I have some Jiffy mix downstairs....

BTS

• Dagney
    Dagney

This dish is requested at every family special occasion dinner. And I'm glad renee mentioned about the chiles. We make several versions, and adding a can of diced green chiles is really yummy.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ok Dagney, I know who u are and where to find u. Make me some cornbread casserole or face a serious consequence.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

We had our Christmass party at work last night. I took cornbread casserole and it was eaten up.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Cornbread is the best!

I'm telling you that is what makes Black kids such super athletes.

I make cornbread casserole all the time. Fresh corn is best; frozen is next best; canned is if you have to. Sometimes I'll add Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese.

Yum-yum.

One admonition though: DO NOT use Jiffy mix. That nonsense is an abomination.

Sylvia

• rekless
    rekless

mix in some hot slasa and turn it into Mexican cornbread. OR

Or just chop some jalapenia peppers into it. OR

throw in a package of taco mix.

if you are using liquid water, milk or can corns and want to add salsa, just eliminate some to the liquid. any of the dry seasoning does not change the recipe.

well, that is the way I do it, a smogasboard of flavors with the same cornbread texture.

I use 3/4 cups of yellow corn meal, 1cup all purpose flour, 1/4 cup of wholewheat flour, I'm a health nut, not really, but do try to inject wholewheat and grains into my diet.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I agree with others here, spice it up a bit....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    One admonition though: DO NOT use Jiffy mix. That nonsense is an abomination.

Now now Sylvia, I do make my cornbread from scatch *giggle* but my recipe tends to make double of what a Jiffy package makes. Since I'm the only one that likes cornbread casserole I figured the Jiffy recipe would be enough just for me. I ate some with my ham and green beans last night and I plan to eat some more with my meatloaf, taters, and peas. Geez I feel fat.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Have you ever tried cornbread salad?? Mmmm!!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm telling you that is what makes Black kids such super athletes.

Heheh. I've heard the expression "corn fed redneck" before. What does it mean?

It is hard to eat a freshly picked ear of corn and not believe there isn't a God in heaven.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit