Oh My Gosh! I just discovered Cornbread Casserole!

by mrsjones5 114 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

We were invited to a friend's house for dinner and our hostess served pot roast with an out of sight salad and corn casserole. I tried the cassarole and loved. Made a pan a couple of days ago and no one will eat but me but I don't care. Oh, it's so good!

Josie

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Corn bread is good for you at least according to Snowbird as well. It doesn't contain harmful gluten to people with celiacs. That's a huge benefit to someone like myself. So long as theres no wheat. I'll have to give this stuff a try.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Where is the recipe? Share, sistah!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I used this recipe because I had everything on hand:

CORN CASSEROLE

1 (14 1/2 oz.) can Freshlike cream corn
    1 (14 1/2 oz.) can Freshlike kernel corn
    1 stick of melted butter
    2 eggs
    8 oz. container sour cream
    1 box Jiffy corn bread mix

Butter 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole dish. Mix together above ingredients. Pour into casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes uncovered.

It came out great and I might do it from scatch next time.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Thank you!!

When you say "from scratch next time" are you meaning to actually cut the corn from the cob?

Or do you mean use stone ground corn meal instead of jiffy?

I never heard of "freshlike". That's a brand we don't have here that I know of.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

lol, I mean making the cornbread from scatch instead of using the box mix. There is no way I'm gonna cut corn from a cob. We have Freshlike here but I suppose any canned corn will do.

Josie

• StAnn
    StAnn

If you're going to do it from scratch, you've just got to make your own creamed corn. My momma always made her own and it was fantastic. I will say that it's probably perfectly fine to use a bag of corn niblets (thawed, of course!) instead of cutting off the cob yourself.

Serena

• Gregor
    Gregor

When I was a kid first we had to grow the corn, pick it and shuck it, cream some and..... well......it was rough.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Gregor, so did we but it wasn't rough!

We put up 1,000 quarts of tomatoes and 1,000 quarts of green beans every year. Sometimes we had so many green beans to string and break up, I'd sneak out back to the strawberry patch and bury the remainder of my beans under the straw, figuring they'd compost before Dad planted strawberries again the next Spring.

Aw, memories....!

Serena

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

oooh thanks for reminding me of that one. Mom used to make that. She used to put chillies in it sometimes for a spicy version.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit