Oh My Gosh! I just discovered Cornbread Casserole!

by mrsjones5 114 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I'm making the cornbread casserole this week.

Someone mentioned ox tail. Damn.........I love ox tail soup but the price is almost as high as steak around here. Then again.........the entrepenourial butchers are calling any tail from a cow....ox tail now! Kinda hard to find when most people in a community are raised on fast food.

HappyDad

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I got my collard greens seasoning advice straight from the source, a soul fool restaurant. You haven't eaten real food until you've sat down in a hard plastic chair in a run-down looking hole in the wall and eaten fried pork chops, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, and corn bread (fried, not baked).

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

or you have a grandma or great aunt who can throw down

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Wasn't so lucky. It wasn't until I could drive and owned a car that I got hooked up with edible food of the Southern soul variety.

I'm blessed now. Dawson's Kitchen is right around the corner from me in Payne City and I eat lunch there a few times a week. It's supposed to be just "generic southern" but what it really is is a soul food restaurant. Fried pork chops, fried chicken, fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, collards, turnips, butterbeans, and their mac & cheese is the real deal made fresh from scratch. It is the type of place where they know everyone by name and the food is made just for you.

• beksbks
    beksbks

How could you kids have this conversation without me???? I'm eating my own cornbread stuffing right now!

Hill, don't you be disin' California, you might want to think back on a little thing they called the "dust bowl". I am Cali born and raised, and I lived on corn bread, pinto beans, and fried potatoes with onions. I'd mention more, but you might think me a hick.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    and I lived on corn bread, pinto beans, and fried potatoes with onions. I'd mention more, but you might think me a hick.

I can smell it cooking...... I can feel the pounds mounting on now...........

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

California...land of fruit and nuts.

So Beks...Arkansas or Oklahoma...secrets safe with us.

Hill

• beksbks
    beksbks

My parents actually did not have a darn thing to do with the dust bowl, but they did both come here as youths from Texas. Daddy was born in................Oklahoma. Sigh.

• ataloa
    ataloa

Mrs. Jones, you made me cook! A thing I rarely do. Haven't been able to think of anything but cornbread ever since you posted this and I finally made me some. Now Bendrr's got me thinking about pork chops. I knew better than to open a food thread.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My parents actually did not have a darn thing to do with the dust bowl, but they did both come here as youths from Texas. Daddy was born in................Oklahoma. Sigh.

I spent a few weeks in OK while getting some training. I was in my early 20s. Talk about hospitality, especially the ladies....the way those girls talk drives me crazy....I think I'd turn into a tropical cowboy PDQ if I lived over there.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit