Oh My Gosh! I just discovered Cornbread Casserole!

by mrsjones5 114 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    They are actually quite good.

And they're good for our health - they make our bones strong. Lots of calcium, folate, antioxidants, etc.

People who eat a lot of greens seldom suffer from osteoporosis.

Sylvia

• ataloa
    ataloa

Wednesday, you probably picked yourself some poke.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dears Sylvia and Mrs. Jones:

Good morning!

I bought a box of cornmeal before actually seeing this thread of note. When I'm at a health food store (rarely - too expensive) I like to get the full-bodied version (ALBERS is enriched but degermed). I make mush several times a week. Today. With honey and 1/2 & 1/2.

And I also eat collard greens frequently.

Do I belong in Dixie?

CoCo Collared by Collards

• snowbird
    snowbird

CoCo, dear heart, you evoke so much nostalgia.

Stone ground yellow corn meal is the best. It's hard to find, but once you taste it, you'll not want to go back.

My mama and g'mama used to make mush for many a breakfast. They would mix it with onions, peppers, and leftover pot liquor or broth.

We kids used to stampede each other to get to the table!

I believe the high falutin' term for it is now polenta.

LOL.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I believe the high falutin' term for it is now polenta.

My mom would make it for dinner sometimes when I was small, she stopped making it as I got older (times got better). We just called it "harina" (grits). But yeah, it has to be the ground YELLOW corn. My dad would put ketchup on his. Ewwwwww.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'll bet Mrs J is LOL at the turn her thread has taken.

Sylvia

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

As an Appalachian American whose family came from deep in Eastern Kentucky, I can say that I was raised up on beans and cornbread, but the cornmeal must be white, and the bread itself no thicker than 1 inch. Golden brown (almost burnt) on bottom, and slightly greasy.

I believe this casserole you are talking about is mostly a midwest thing as my Ky family never fixed it, but my Illinois stepgrandma made it several times, and yes it is delicious.

I am going to attempt to make this myself.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    but the cornmeal must be white

Sacrilegious!

Sylvia

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Ok Snowbird, for the casserole itself, yeah Yellow would be better, but for just plain cornbread, we mountain folk use white meal. Martha White is good, but Dorsal's brand out of Kentucky is the best for cornbread.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Don't forget the fried cabbage or the wilted lettuce and onions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit