Let's Limit Young People , or Crazies from Killing Each Other in Schools

by flipper 103 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

There was a college shooting about a year and a half ago in Toronto Ontario, where a student opened up shooting and killing 1 and wounding many, it was found

that he too just like the Columbine kids was deeply involved with violent shooting video games. So, was playing these games partly responsible for provoking these kind of thought

suggestions ?

I just want to point out that what one person reads or perhaps sees in a movie does not exactly equal the profound psychological effect as mentally immersing

oneself in a very violent game, there are apparent differences to be noted.

There is sound reasoning in the statement " what the mind is fed so it will also put forth " psychological imprinting is well acknowledged study in human psychology and it very much affects

are social behavior in society.

It becomes even more of an importance in young absorbing youth in their growing and developing stages of life.

The mental message in these kinds of games is to win over your opponent and become the victor, but the only way is to kill them dead and that is the only way to win.

Unfortunately games that are played by certain individuals who are emotionally unbalanced and that are having insecurity issues may take violence as a course

of action to over come these innate insecurities, in other words it puts power and control back in their hands and the end result of this expression is death and mayhem.

In the real world these young people are very insecure with themselves and are having deep trouble with their self awareness, confidence and their own personal identity.

Social psychology, by the way has nothing to do with Tipper Gore, if you don't believe me go ask one !

• Layla33
    Layla33

Sure you disagree for various reasons. All a bunch of feel good nonsense reasons.

There are no SERIOUS psychiatrist who would back you up on that though. Not one correlative study that would support you...

That won't stop you from shouting it though will it? Cause you FEEL it, cause you THINK it so it MUST be true... Please spare us...

Actually there are studies that back up the correlation of watching violence and immitating violence in real life. I won't debate you because instead of disagreeing with me or just debating your opinion, you become nasty and sanctimonious and downright rude. NOW, I understand some of the complaints from people about having a discussion and people getting rude and out of line.

I will remind myself to ignore your nastiness from now on. You are out of line. You don't know me.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Don't KNOW you?

Yes I do! Your a sanctimonious weenie! You know that violent video games and guns lead to shootings so that's how it must be!

How many TENS OF MILLIONS of people play violent video games? To say "many of these kids who commit shootings play violent video games..." Is just dumb. Here's an analogy for you. Many of these kids also take showers so are showers bad? Every one of them ate food and breathed air so are those things that lead to violent shootings?

Here's an idea stop wasting time looking for that "magic bullet" that you can pin these things on it's ridiculous.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Maybe we should look at it this way then, no violent video games are not solely responsible for provoking violent behavior in people, but possibly

perhaps seeing them as an additional stimulus to an already persistent problem.

I've personally have played many of the most violent games myself and I can verify they can be very involving emotionally.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Maybe we should look at it this way then, no violent videogames are not solely responsible for provoking violent behavior in people, but possibly

perhaps seeing them as an additional stimulus to an already persistent problem.

I've personally have played many of the most violent games myself and I can verify they can be very involving emotionally.

Thank you for being an intelligent adult and understanding the point I and others were making. :-)

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Of course these games are not going to effect the majority of the public, its those .001% that may induce violent ideas and suggestions.

and then actually living out those ideas as being a course of action. We all don't have the same psychology, if we did we all would be robots.

We have to accept that like it or not.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Crazies maybe, but do we really want to be putting limits on our young people?
    They may just be acting out because of all the limitations imposed on them in the first place.

Rather than being reactionary and saying "you kids can't kill each other" or "you kids can't kill more than ( x ) number of other kids" (classic limiting), why don't we take a more expansive view; validate their feelings of rage, helplessness, and narcissism and yet at the same time ask them to be part of the solution: not killing people?

SixGo, Sorry if I'm being thick, but please tell me this was satire? Right?

I see where my post could be confusing, I should have phrased that last thusly: " why don't we take a more expansive view; validate their feelings of rage, helplessness, and narcissism and yet at the same time ask them to be part of the solution: not killing people?"

By the time they're old enough to reload, most kids are tired and frustrated by constantly being told, they want the same respect from society that they see on TV from the average hostage negotiator: they want to be asked, not told.

• dinah
    dinah

Layla,

How do you figure The USA started a violent society? Have you noticed how violent Africa is? Tribes fight, women and children are raped. Tires were put around black men's necks in South Africa and set on fire.

If you want to go further into history, what about the Huns, Vlad the Impaler in Romania, hell even the Israelites.

Violence is part of human nature, an ugly part, but it's there.

Gun control is a pipe dream. Ask any police officer, most guns used in drug related crimes are not traceable. If another responsible student had carried a gun to school that day at Virginia Tech, the body count would have been lower. Students are sitting ducks because they know no one is armed.

Turning our schools into mini-prisons for our children doesn't help either.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Dinah,

I am not saying the US started it, but lets not start with the Africans are violent people because Europeans are just as violent and lets not even discuss colonization and millions of people dying by the need for Europe trying to conquest the rest of the world. Want to talk about Eastern Europe and the Holocaust and Bosnia and places in Russia? I saw a survey that showed that Russia has one of the most violent places in the world. I agree, violence is a human thing and no country or people has the cornerstone on it, but we do have a type of culture of violence that glorifies violence and can contribute to the idea of murder and violence as a mean to settling disputes.

• dinah
    dinah

I agree with that Layla. At any given point in history there has been violence. Some are more barbaric than others.

Go and read about Birmingham, Alabama. It's about 1/4 the size of Atlanta, the murder rate in the 5th highest in the nation, if I remember correctly. It was on the news last week. Every single morning when I turn on the news, somebody has been shot, a body has been found somewhere.

People kill each other daily, but nobody really cares because it's just black folks killing black folks. Most of them are out running in the street because nobody took the time to raise them. The role models they have to choose from are mostly gangsters.

The kids that masterminded Columbine made bombs in their freaking bedrooms for God's sake. Their parents never noticed. Their parents never noticed what they were doing on the internet. Their parents didn't know they were having trouble fitting in in school.

How is taking guns away from legal, adult, sane citizens going to stop kids from getting guns? If more parents were held accountable for their minor children's actions, more parents would start paying attention.

We had a toddler shoot himself in Alabama this week. The Dad left the gun out where the kid could reach it. Apparently it was loaded because the kid was too young to do it himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit