Let's Limit Young People , or Crazies from Killing Each Other in Schools

by flipper 103 Replies latest jw friends

• rimfiredancing
    rimfiredancing

Interestingly, reading the direction that this thread took in terms of upholding the mass drugging of children for being INTELLIGENT- for instance, did you know that the diagnostic for gauging highly gifted children and the diagnostic for ADD-ADHD are the same?- and praise for such drugs as Ritalin, which is killing kids all over the globe, has made me realise I'm in the wrong place. Both my partner and I were slapped with the Asperger's label because we don't *think* and *act* like everyone else does- of COURSE everyone else's behaviour is sane and appropriate, look at the world! Reminds me of a Devo song.

Doctors tried to label some of my kids ADD, I simply laughed at them and switched to a free school that actually enjoyed my kids ability to think. Funnily enough, they were incredibly happy, had no 'behavioural issues' and were tops in their class. But nooooo, they don't 'fit IN' with society, this masterpiece of functioning.

Our crime is we can't stand the boring, repetitive and mindless way society works. We can't stand endless repititions of stuff we already know. We can't stand stupid social preening sessions that pass for 'conversation' in society.

Ugh. I can't stand explaining it again. I don't even want to. I'm so heartily sick, disgusted and angry right now, thinking of all the bright and intelligent kids being drugged into submission because society can't stand intelligent people who can think for themselves- look, the Emperor is wearing no clothes, how about that! I was drugged for awhile as a child to make the adults around me feel better, because my level of intelligence frightened them: my mother originally sent me along for IQ testing because she wanted to prove there was something mentally wrong with me. There was, in terms of this society: I was so goddam intelligent that they couldn't figure out what my IQ was exactly. My partner's was off the charts when he was tested at about age 6 for exactly the same reason.

Pattern here? Oh no, not at all- and of course the doctors would *never* do something as insincere as drugging children that didn't need it: if that's so, then how come parents in the states can be threatened by school boards with having their children disallowed from attending schools *if they don't take whatever medication the school has been told the child should take, especially drugs such as Ritalin*? Google it, there's so much stuff on the net about it that I can't be bothered linking here.

So, adieu. I can't talk in a place where people think that drugging kids for being intelligent is a grand idea, and where people who *do* think it's great dredge up excuses that have been MEDICALLY DISPROVED AS FALSE as ways of justifying the attitude. More dying kids so that adults can make themselves feel better.

• rimfiredancing
    rimfiredancing

sammielee24- thanks for an intelligent post. I appreciate what you said a great deal.

So little said and done to defend the children suffering because adults are screwed in their world views.

• flipper
    flipper

Wow ! Lots of replies - thanks for all the interesting views ! Man- this really blew up !

MKR 32208 - I'm sorry you had to deal with that patient the other night. I know that was hard to see. I'm not suggesting armed guards or police at every door to every college class in America - true - too costly , however if we had 3 to 5 at each college - who would be armed and ready in case of emergencies I think it could prevent some of the violence that has been happening. If you train citizen's to conceal and carry weapons everywhere - you can't be sure of each of their psychological stability in making snap, quick judgements on whether or not to use that firearm in a given situation.

HOMEROVAH- I agree we have the technology to take more preventive methods in screening gun applicants - especially for security and armed police protection. But we just have to get our governments to spend the money to do it - not spend money overseas in Iraq killing people for oil !

MINCAN- Very well said by you . Thanks for the support with more information on " ADD " and " ADHD " . It is a real problem that many people are uninformed about !

SAMMIELEE- There is lots of supporting evidence that indicates " ADD " and " ADHD " are real problems with some children. I think Mincan explained it very well. That being said - I agree with you that modern life is very hard these days - and yes some parents and adults do try to do arm chair or kneejerk reactions to overactive kids by medicating them too quick before other options are pursued. Very true. But as you said there are some kids who need the Ritalin for ADD and ADHD who would not do well without it. So I see both sides here. We can't typecast everybody in the same boat. I do feel like you kids need more outdoor activities to get energy out !

HILLIBILLY - Lots of people have wrong attitudes about race and are prejudice - it never justifies them getting shot or shooting others over it. I agree - Wallace was wrong before in his attitudes , at least he changed hid views before he died.

WORLDTRAVELLER- I'm so sorry your brother took his life my friend. So I know this subject is a very sensitive subject for you. Your family has suffered horribly from this violent occurrence and you have my deepest sympathies. Please don't ever blame yourself as your other brother blames you - there is nothing you could have done to prevent it. Just support your daughter as best you can ; which I'm sure you are doing .

RIMFIREDANCING- Excellent post by you ! I think you stated very well what many of us want to say and many of us think! We do live in a hypocritical society where the government is throwing it's violent weight around the world - we'd be foolish to think young people don't see this and aren't affected by it ! Good points ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Wow. Reading this thread from 2008 and then thinking about the huge loss of life in the Connecticut school killings last year and the murder of kids at Arapahoe School in Colorado- how many more senseless killings of minor children will occur before we realize there needs to be MENTAL HEALTH checks on many of these fools who purchase firearms ? I believe in the right to bear arms- but NOT for mentally disturbed and dangerous individuals. Hell of a lot of dangerous people on this planet who should not own firearms- yet how do you monitor it ? It's like plugging a hole on a leaking ship- nearly impossible. Any thoughts ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit