Let's Limit Young People , or Crazies from Killing Each Other in Schools

by flipper 103 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
  • RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Oh Flipper I wish I had a way to do just that. The news just said that since February 1st there have been 7 incidences like this with 32 dead. Sad.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

alrighty then. Lets do that...

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

It's too bad that people who are diagnosed w/ severe mental and emotional disorders still qualify to legally buy fire arms.

• flipper
    flipper

Sorry folks ! I must have prematurely pushed a wrong key ! Anyway since last years Virginia University massacres , and now Northern Illinois University killings of 6 and numerous injured , how can this country stop guns from getting into the wrong hands ? Also in California a 14 year old boy shot and killed a young junior high boy ! I have a son in a university and I fear for him ! As I fear for all young people going to school now.

Look , I'm the first one to say that yes, the right to bear arms is a constitutional right in the founding fathers laws in this country- however this has to stop ! I feel there should be a serious mental health background check on people by computer , so they don't falsify information on gun permit applications ! The controls need to tighten or we will have young people who are unstable offing one another even more down the road ! And parents should take more interest in keeping guns locked away from their kids , so they won't have access to them , or another concept is , maybe not have guns at all ! Either or, I would say ! So, how do you all feel about controlling who has these weapons ? Any thoughts on what can be done ? Look forward to your comments ! Peace out, God save the children , adults aren't ! Mr. Flipper

• DJK
    DJK
    It's too bad that people who are diagnosed w/ severe mental and emotional disorders still qualify to legally buy fire arms.

Actually people who have a medical record of mental/emotional disorders do not qualify. Regardless of the penalties, its too easy to lie.

The now federal firearms application has a question that asks if you have ever been treated for a psychological disorder. There really is no way to check that if you answer no,,,, until its too late.

I have said it before, these hienous crimes will never end. Today its a gun, and tomorrow it will be another weapon even more hideous.

DJK (My condolences to all effected by this recent tragedy)

• jgnat
    jgnat

The phenomenon is a result of some rather complex behavior, which was prediced in Malcom Gladwell's book, "The Tipping Point." Stopping the epidemic of violence will require a similarly complex solution. In other words, we have to make violent reprisals totally "uncool". A partial quote by Gladwell:

...think Columbine falls, the whole wave of school violence is a mini version of the same kind of thing. In the book, I talk about a suicide epidemic among teens in Micronesia. Again, trying to get at this idea that among adolescent cultures there are certain behaviors that take on epidemic status and get very powerfully entrenched in the culture and defy our best efforts to try and bring them to an end. And the suggestion in that chapter is that we need to fundamentally rethink the way we attack those kinds of problems. The normal... the normal means that we use are simply not sufficient in the case of these extraordinarily entrenched teenage epidemics.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/gergen/jan-june00/gladwell_5-22.html

• jgnat
    jgnat

There are mentally ill people like my son, who would never lash out in such a random, violent broadcast of pain.

There are psychopaths who from all appearances can behave normally, who are quite capable of taking out a classroom.

We can't lump everyone together.

• flipper
    flipper

RISING EAGLE- I agree Rising Eagle - it is scary out there ! I just hope nothing happens at any more kids colleges or my sons college ! It seems so random when it happens !

WILDABEERMAN- I agree ! Let's stop the angry kids ! I see Jim Carrey agrees !

SWEETFACE- I think they need to put more severe computer checks on people with a history of emotional disorders or chemical imbalances ! If they have had psychiatric problems in the past - they shouldn't be allowed to own a gun !

DJK- I agree with what you say. They do have a form to fill out , but anybody can lie about their mental history and medical records. There needs to be a stringent computer database that gun sellers can have access to , I believe.

JGNAT- I agree there are different types of mentally ill people - I'm totally aware of that. And it is true that many psychopaths - you cannot tell them apart from normal people on the street ! That's why I feel there needs to be tighter restrictions and computer and database information made available to gun sellers ! I too, don't want to see copycat crimes start proliferating and expanding ! But you are right - the penalties need to be stiffer on copycat crimes

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

We here in Vancouver have been experiencing violence in the Asian Community of late. Someone tried to torch a restaurant. Instead, the accelerant exploded causing 2 million dollars worth of damage. Read the short story:

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - A man in a local hospital is the prime suspect in yesterday's arson on west Broadway and ensuing explosion.

The man escaped with burns covering 40 percent of his body.

Police believe he used an accelerant such as gasoline to trigger an explosion at the Taco Del Mar restaurant near Broadway and Heather.

Detective Rodger Shepard with the VPD arson squad says although the man isn't under arrest, police don't believe he'll go anywhere.

"He’s under investigation, of course he's not free to go, but we're not concerned about a flight risk at this point and we're just continuing our investigation in relation to that particular suspect. We're not going to name names."

An unnamed hospital called police.

The suspect was photographed in two cabs he used to flee the scene to Surrey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit