Let's Limit Young People , or Crazies from Killing Each Other in Schools

by flipper 103 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Actually sweetface we have them in Canada too there was one in Ontario about 2 years ago, by a mentally disturbed student, but you have to take note that we have

only 10% of the population of the states. We do have stronger gum regulation and very few gun shops in are urban cities, for example I live in an suburb of Vancouver

with a population of 170,000 and there is not one gun store here.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Thanks for informing me of that incident, Homie. I still feel that there needs to be some serious changes here in the states regarding gun control. Maybe when I become president, there will be

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

That make very good sense to promote and provide more guns to people maybe give discounts to students so that they can carry them in their

backpacks that will keep the universities much safer of a place to be, after all its written in the Constitution of America isn't !

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

You go girl change the world and make it a better place,

I have to agree with you about the laws and regulations in the states regarding the purchasing of guns, for example they could implement a policy wherever

a purchaser must be screened for any mental heath problems .Another idea would be to lengthen the time it takes to process the purchase after applying

to a month or more. It seems that if someone is mentally unbalanced through medical reasons or not, they shouldn't be able to buy a gun in a day or two.

• flipper
    flipper

HOMEROVAH- Very good points you make ! I agree with them all ! I too feel these violent video games have made inroads into kids heads and desensitized them to normal caring feelings. And I'll take it one step further - that these young ones because of being immature or being emotionally imbalanced they are not able to separate a fantasy video game from living in the real world ! The line is blurred between reality and fantasy for some of them . And parents don't help by not teaching their kids the difference between reality and fantasy . So these kids grow up confused.

JAGUAR BASS- Good comments ! I know you see a lot more than we do being in law enforcement , and I agree with you - people do find life meaningless and worthless and then they become desperate in my opinion. And the media does promote violence from different shows - that's true. The news as well dwells on the negative things a lot. I don't think that will ever change . I know you are into music Jaguar - remember the song , " Dirty Laundry " by Don Henley ? There you go. Unfortunately we live in a society where negativity, scandals, sex and violence sells in the tabloids and the news. So as long as there is a dollar to be made on it - we will keep hearing about negative stuff ! I agree some other countries are more peaceful - just as I feel in this country rural and remote communities are more peaceful, generally.

HILLBILLY- Like Jaguar said - even though Illinois has strict gun laws - crazy people will find ways to get guns anywhere - steal them if they have to !

GREGOR- It is true - just issuing permits to let responsible people carry concealed weapons would appear it should work. But how do you determine who is responsible ? Can you really be sure ? It's not that easy to assess that. That's why computer checks on people's mental health history should be made available to gun dealers . I think it would help .

SWEETFACE- America does need to improve in health care - as well as curtailing people from using guns in public places . We do hear of terrorists , women, children, etc. , blowing themselves up in middle east countries in public places and killing others - but you are correct , we don't notice reports of guns being used in public places as much in other countries as we hear of it in the U.S.A.

FADEOUT- You make some very good points about having an " armed " society so everybody protects themselves . However, it would lead to anarchy and vigilantes taking the law into their own hands at the drop of a dime . Then - you know how some people have hair trigger tempers ( no pun intended ) . Some people would shoot you or me for just looking at them weird ! How do you regulate when and how the guns are used ? I think it's a fair question ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

America Too Many guns!!....."the right to bear arms.." THE BRITISH LEFT YEARS AGO so you have the right to bear arms....against other people with arms!!!! With so many mass shootings laws NEED to change. President Bush repeeled a Clinton law that limited automatic weapons. Now the Police are being issued with military machine guns to compensate. {Fox news and CNN} We had one mass shooting 10 years ago with an auto-rifle. So, the Government changed the laws to limit these weapons AND organised a guns for money buy back system.......friggin genious!!! Since that time these type of mass shootings have ceased, even though they had increased before this government action.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Not so long ago ...town kids would take guns to school, leave 'em in the office and go plinkin after school. City kids could catch the bus and ride out to the country to hunt, totin' a gun.

Back in the 70's we use to duck hunt with our teachers early and leave guns cased and locked in the school parking lot... any given fall and winter day there would be 30 or forty guns on campus... and we were a big school for the area, 1200 kids. We repaired guns mounted scopes and other gunsmithin' chores and worked on compound bows in school wood shops and machine shops all the time. Just about every boy packed a pocket knife too.

NO body ever got shot. Well, I'll take that back...back in '71 we did have one guy wig out and he shot the guy who stole his girfreind. As best I know he is still rotting in prision for murder. He shot the kid at the local burger joint...

Our daily dose of violent media back then... after school we could watch a good old black and white John Wayne type western or war movie. One station still ran Gene Autry or Roy Rogers movies after school every day. The two or three kids I knew who had video game... remember "Pong"? Plus most of us had chores or some hobby or 4H thing to do.

Even in the city...kids could box at the CYO... or sell newspapers on the corner or do something to stay busy...

I have read that today we over medicate bored kids. Then we let them ingest horrible violence in their media intake. Several of these recent shooters have been on anti-depressants . I read that bored kids (no chores or work) get mis diagnosed or medicated. The meds are enough to put a bored , but otherwise heathy, mind over the edge. Plus parents are so busy medicating bored kids the dont involve them in productive hobbies or work.

Illinois makes handguns very hard to own. CCW is not allowed in Ill. Cook county and city of Chicago is even tougher with very restrictive laws on firearms. I have carried a firearm as needed for years. I do avoid venues that become "gun free" by mandate. If I am not toting (I dont all the time) I'd like to know there are a few folks in the crowd who are.

For those who would like to disarm the US... the 2nd amendment is to keep citizens armed to keep the police and government in check. Lot's of governments find it's really easy to manage revolts if the people are disarmed early.

The gun is simply the tool. Sure, we Americans have millions of em laying around. WE have for years. What changed? Is crazy in the water? The UK took all the legal handguns a few years back... so now they are having to ban Samuri swords...the new tool of choice for street thugs.

I will get the popcorn and wait for the rabid anti-gunners to check in now. But before the flame errupt ...look at the problem not the tools. Crazy will harm with diesel fuel and fertilizer as well as the "evil black gun"....

~Hill

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    America Too Many guns!!....."the right to bear arms.." THE BRITISH LEFT YEARS AGO so you have the right to bear arms....against other people with arms!!!! With so many mass shootings laws NEED to change. President Bush repeeled a Clinton law that limited automatic weapons. Now the Police are being issued with military machine guns to compensate. {Fox news and CNN} We had one mass shooting 10 years ago with an auto-rifle. So, the Government changed the laws to limit these weapons AND organised a guns for money buy back system.......friggin genious

Amendment 2 ... we get to stay armed to protect ourself from an overbearing government. The British were chased out because the colonial were armed. We sorta want to keep our arms in case the government gets abusive again.

The Clinton Law...what a joke that was. Assault rifle ban... If you know firearms you know that making a bayonet lug and restricting magazine capacity does little to reduce the leathality of an AK or AR based weapon. About all that law did was make it hard to know what you could install on a firearm built after the law came into effect.

I can tell you that in the hands of a motivated person... an AR or AK with a 10 round mag can be as potent as a person with the same weapon with a 30 round mag. Threaded barrels, flash hiders, and bayonet lugs... no big deal. I reaallly like to shoot my AR with that 100 round drum...I can shoot $40 worth of ammo faster than I can type this sentence. Great for covering fire but not practical for killing praried dogs and coyotes... not for most police operations.

We have has laws in the US that restrict overall lenght of the firearm and full-auto weapons. Those laws are much more effective than the Clinton ban... The 1968 law made serial numbers mandatory and banned purchase by mail. My point is we have enough laws, it's a matter of enforcement. Very small handguns get a bit restricted from import.

In Austrailia one can still own the good old fashion lever action rifle. In .30 WCF it's ballistically equal to the AK 47 round. It holds 6 rounds and can be re-loaded with the action closed and topped off with a partially full mag. A motivavted person can lay down effective tactical fire with a weapon like that...here in the US many sherrifs office still carry these rifles. So dont tell me that your "antigun" culture is some panecea... Your still armed...it's just a hassle to get some of the more exotic toys and handguns

Most of us law abiding gun owners own arms that could raise all sorts of hell. WE dont. Let's look at the problem not the tools.

~Hill

• Gregor
    Gregor

I am addressing the above topic as it is stated. I am looking at what IS, not what others would like it to be..

In situations no one can foresee an armed crazy walks in and methodically starts executing people. They often have to reload their weapon(s) before continuing to slaughter.

The victims can - Try to hide behind something, run away, throw a book or chair at the gunman, laydown and lace their hands over the back of their head, scream and plead for their life.

Proclamations of outrage and demands for the following did nothing for the roughly 4 dozen+ people who were murdered under these circumstances in the past year: "Get rid of all guns!" "Give mental health screenings to anyone who tries to buy a gun!" "Turn all places people gather, like workplace, schools, etc. into secure, screened areas as is done in some public buildings and airports."

One thing that has been done is to outlaw ANY guns on a campus. Even guns owned by law abiding adults with concealed carry permits. This has made the problem worse. More casualties. This recent killer planned and prepared his attack for days. One thing he did not have to worry about was meeting any serious resistance because he could safely assume that the strangers he was going to kill for no reason would be obeying the rules and not be armed.

To not allow people to protect themselve is a stupid suspension of common sense.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Greg... I pointed out the same things you are saying after the VA Tech shootings and got impaled on a stake for it. Many people take this issue into the semanitcs of "armed society" and things like that.

As a culture, the liberal element would like to train ALL of us to be passive. It works. We are ashamed to fight back ...We accept excuses...the kid was depressed, the kid was an inner city youth... someone left the gun out... if we didnt have guns, knives, diesel fuel and nitrates...

If more people took care of the problem,,, actually raised their kids, kept them busy and demanded that criminal are dealt with (not just in the courts) we might regain the "polite society: we once had.

Back in the dark ages ...even the school bully got his ass whipped after the other kids had enough of it. Now we excuse the bully and go after the victim...

I have a door on my house... knock and if I want...you come in. If you prefer to use the window you will get shot. If we all knew the rules maybe some folks would behave better. Now days.. if you come in my window I have to worry about your momma was a crack whore or whatever drove you to ingnore the rules........

Rant over

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit