Mum aged 22 dies for Jehovah

by MidwichCuckoo 114 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Gill
    Gill

The staff didn'\t know how to use the machine. It would still have been quicker to transfuse this poor woman as the cell salvage machine is NOT a rapid infuser!

They are going to be sued?

All he had to do was say 'yes' and he could have save her life!

This is a case for counter suit by the hospital if he tries to pull that one!

It appears this poor woman died because she bled out! A simple 'yes' from her husband would have saved her! And now he wants to sue the hospital!

If he does that it will be the last time a hospital allows a JW to bleed out in front of them on a table! It will be blood transfusions all round and take the consequences later!

Shame on him!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article434158.ece

THE husband of the Jehovah’s Witness mum who died after refusing a blood transfusion because of her beliefs is blaming the hospital where she lost her life.

Anthony Gough, 24, claims medical staff may have been negligent over wife Emma’s death – and legal action could follow.

I wonder if the medical field feels any responsibility. If the hospitols sit around in their staff meetings saying.....".Well, we lost this young mother in child birth from loss of blood, she refused a blood transfusion....We really need to work harder to save lives without having to use transfusions. Hey my fellow docs, what do you think, what can WE do?"

purps

• nelly136
    nelly136

Cell savers

Intra operative cell salvage includes collecting, concentrating and washing shed blood in the operating room.

Salvage begins when shed blood is obtained from the operating site and immediately mixed with an anticoagulant (usually 30,000 units of heparin per litre of 0.9% normal saline or citrated dextrose) near the suction tip.

The anticoagulated blood is stored in a collection reservoir, where a 120 micron filter removes tissue, clots, orthopaedic cement and other macro debris, and stores blood for processing.

A simple push of a button activates the automatic process. A volume of 400 to 700 mls of blood is pumped into a spinning centrifuge. The centrifuge force in the bowl captures the red blood cells and concentrates them. The centrifugal force separates the red blood cell from the plasma and other waste products. Plasma overflows from the bowl into the waste bag, taking with it white cells, platelets, free haemoglobin, irrigation fluids, activated clotting factors and cell debris.

A light sensor detects when the centrifuge bowl is full of red blood cells (225mls concentrated to a Haematocrit above 50%), thereby activating the wash cycle. Sterile normal saline is pumped through the red blood cells within the centrifuge bowl, washing the packed red cells.

It takes 1-1.5 litres to wash away the unwanted elements such as soluble activated clotting factors, proteolytic enzymes, potassium, heparin, red cell debris and free haemoglobin. Orthopaedic procedures have more debris to remove and therefore require more washing (usually 1.5-2 litres).

At the completion of the wash cycle, packed red cells suspended in saline (> 50% Hct) are pumped from the centrifuge bowl into a reinfusion bag. The washed red cells are reinfused back into the patient using a 40 micron filter in the usual manner. These processed red cells contain no clotting factors and no anticoagulants. The entire process takes less than 10 mins.

Approximately 50% of the shed red blood cells are saved.

http://www.perfusion.com.au/CCP/Details%20in%20perfusion%20technique/Autotransfusion.htm#_Toc43695012

• Gill
    Gill

Not fast enough, Nelly!

Unless the machine was already in use, she would not have had the time to benefit from it!

You can bleed out in childbirth in a couple of minutes! This is why midwives and obstetricians are so terrified of post partum haemorrage! There is NO time to deal with it except with a rapid infuser and whole blood! Post partum haemorrage is like turning on a tap!

Ten minutes is not enough!

It appears there was not even time to perform an emergency hysterectomy! Could be that she may not have had a chance anyway blood or no blood!

• Gill
    Gill

Been there! Done that! Very lucky to still be alive to wear the T Shirt!

I think there are a few other on the board who have been through similar experiences! There really is no time to piddle around during these situations!

• nelly136
    nelly136

could someone with a bit of medical knowledge explain to me how a cell saver might have worked in this instance?

if the blood is bleeding out and collecting inside a womb or where ever would connecting it to a patients blood circulation increase the persons chance of survival or would the machine have to be connected direct to point of blood loss?

trying to get a better idea of how they work.

• nelly136
    nelly136

cheers gill, i was having a bit of a prob getting the cell saver thang posted and i wanted to add the question to it cos it was puzzling me.

I thought that cell savers were something that were plugged in at the beginning of an operation, i just wanted to check if they were something that could just be wheeled out and hooked up as and when required.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I have an apology to make to all of you. I realize I made a rash judgement and was a bit harsh in my comments. I have reread this thread with a new attitude and do see sympathy for Mum. I join all of you in anger and sadness over her death.

momzcrazy

• nelly136
    nelly136

from the borg site (copied in partial to avoid any copyright issues)

http://www.watchtower.org/e/hb/article_04.htm

You may wonder, 'Why are some doctors and hospitals quick to get a court order to give blood?' In some places a common reason is fear of liability.

There is no basis for such concern when Jehovah's Witnesses choose nonblood management. A doctor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (U.S.A.) writes: "Most [Witnesses] readily sign the American Medical Association form relieving physicians and hospitals of liability, and many carry a Medical Alert [card]. A properly signed and dated 'Refusal to Accept Blood Products' form is a contractual agreement and is legally binding."—Anesthesiology News, October 1989.

Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses cooperatively offer legal assurance that a physician or hospital will not incur liability in providing requested nonblood therapy. As recommended by medical experts, each Witness carries a Medical Document card. This is renewed annually and is signed by the person and by witnesses, often his next of kin.

In March 1990, the Supreme Court of Ontario, Canada, upheld a decision that commented approvingly on such a document: "The card is a written declaration of a valid position which the card carrier may legitimately take in imposing a written restriction on [the] contract with the doctor." In Medicinsk Etik (1985), Professor Daniel Andersen wrote: "If there is an unambiguous written statement from the patient saying that he is one of Jehovah's Witnesses and does not want blood under any circumstances, respect for the patient's autonomy requires that this wish be respected, just as if it had been expressed orally."

Witnesses will also sign hospital consent forms. One used at a hospital in Freiburg, Germany, has space where the physician can describe the information he gave the patient about the treatment. Then, above the signatures of the physician and the patient, this form adds: "As a member of the religious body of Jehovah's Witnesses, I categorically refuse the use of foreign blood or blood components during my surgery. I am aware that the planned and needed procedure thus has a higher risk due to bleeding complications. After receiving thorough explanation particularly about that, I request that the needed surgery be performed without using foreign blood or blood components."—Herz Kreislauf, August 1987.

Actually, nonblood management may have a lower risk. But the point here is that Witness patients happily relieve any needless concerns so that medical personnel can move forward in doing what they are committed to do, helping people get well. This cooperation benefits all, as Dr. Angelos A. Kambouris showed in "Major Abdominal Operations on Jehovah's Witnesses":

"Preoperative agreement should be viewed as binding by the surgeon and should be adhered to regardless of events developing during and after operation. [This] orients the patients positively toward their surgical treatment, and diverts the surgeon's attention from the legal and philosophical considerations to the surgical and technical ones, thus, allowing him to perform optimally and serve his patient's best interests."—The American Surgeon, June 1987.

A considerate patient will not pressure a physician to use a therapy at which the doctor is unskilled. As Dr. Nelson noted, though, many dedicated physicians can accommodate the patient's beliefs. A German official advised: "The doctor cannot refuse to render aid . . . reasoning that with a Jehovah's Witness not all medical alternatives are at his disposal. He still has a duty to render assistance even when the avenues open to him are reduced." (Der Frauenarzt, May-June 1983) Similarly, hospitals exist not merely to make money but to serve all people without discrimination. Catholic theologian Richard J. Devine states: "Although the hospital must make every other medical effort to preserve the patient's life and health, it must ensure that medical care does not violate [his] conscience. Moreover, it must avoid all forms of coercion, from cajoling the patient to obtaining a court order to force a blood transfusion."—Health Progress, June 1989.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Been there! Done that! Very lucky to still be alive to wear the T Shirt!

I can be counted as one that did this too. In 1974 I had a terrible case of Endometriosis and had suffered with excruciating pain and intermttent heavy bleeding for almost TWO YEARS as I searched for a doctor that would operate on me without the use of blood. I was finally put in touch with one way up in northern NY state that was a few hours away. By the time I GOT the needed hysterectomy, I was very weak and had an extremely low blood count. The doctor had told me during my post-op visit---that he was afraid they were going to "lose me" more than once during the procedure.

Have things changed? I was asked about storing up my own blood.....and the elders said absolutely NOT. Any blood taken from the JW body should rightfully be disposed of and not "held onto" for surgical purposes.

I have nothing but sympathy for the husband and family of this poor JW mom (and MORE empathy for all JWs that are facing this dilemma)....and what the WTS demands and expects of their followers. I feel disgust and irritation that the JWs ARE so misled to believe anything and everything the GB dictates no matter WHAT that may be at any given moment.

IF there IS any "glee" involved...it would most certainly be from the JW camp, where this death will be talked about and glorified as "her strong faith in Jehovah in the face of death"...and as Mary said... "making jehovah's heart glad" (gag)....and she will be held up as a shining example (the latest poster child) for the insidious rules of the WTS. THAT will be what stays in the JW mind....and NOT the simple fact that they would still be enjoying her company and SHE would be enjoying her new babies...if she had accepted the blood she needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit