Looking for anyone from the Ardmore, Oklahoma area.

by sooner7nc 92 Replies latest jw experiences

• erynw
    erynw

We probably already do. I think the CO was named koonts or kuhns, something like that. Tall guy with gray hair.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

This is from September regarding constrictions conventions:

On an earlier thread about ice cream I remembered a snack that was sold at assemblies and that started me thinking about some of my memories of childhood at conventions/assemblies. I guess it was the taste/smell association because even today when I go to various convention halls for home improvement expos, car shows and the like it takes me right back to the past. I have many memories wrapped around the conventions and experienced different things because I have lots of elders in the family that were used, literally, for food service, the accounting office, security and dramas. As a kid that had limited play experience due to the upbringing, I remember some assemblies as big playgrounds and some as 'responsibilities' because I was required to work. Once those horrid plastic sandwich-making gloves came off it was time to explore and see how close I could come to getting into trouble (as much as a preteen true believer JW goody-two-shoes nerd could get). How about you? Do you have a memory or two to share? I'll start

I learned to make coffee at an assembly when I was 8. They used those huge percolator urns in those days that seemed to take an hour to brew. There's some fun for an 8 yr old, dealing with grumpy half-awake elders that had to work early who were ticked off that the coffee wasn't ready. That was back when they still took cash for food purchases. I remember jockeying with my siblings for the 'best' table to work. A sister with a cash drawer sat in the back and you told them how much the purchase was and handed them the money. They made change and gave it to you to return to the purchaser. I always tried to work the table with the prettiest sister (I said I was a nerd, not stupid) cashier. One morning I had sister olderthandirt at my table and she was so slow at returning change that my older brother was told to take over because the elder in charge thought it was my fault the line was so slow. Well that sent me off bawling my eyes out (hey, I was 8) wiping them on my fine faux silk clip-on tie, straight to my dad who was manning a contribution box. He showed me how to make change on the spot and I made a triumphant return at lunchtime. So when I had sister smellslikeshoes as my cashier I could walk up with the money and tell her how much the purchase was and how much to return to me to give back. Now that I think about it, making change is pretty good skill to have these days (thanks dad).

Another year we were recruited by a relative in the accounting office to sort food tickets. I guess they ran low on them so we had to go through bags of them and separate the full 10 ticket pages and re-staple them into new books. I find that odd now, given that we were working for a publishing company. So after working through an afternoon session assembling new ticket books the elder in charge picked up a random book and counted the pages. Yup, one page too many (it wasn't me I know how to count. I can even make change). They pulled some of the sisters at work counting the cash drawers to audit the newly made ticket books. NO way was there going to be a fortunate witless buy a ticket book with an extra dollar's worth of tickets. Two thoughts: if JW's are so honest wouldn't they have returned the extra page they didn't pay for AND how did they know that jehoobers direction didn't cause that ticket book to have that extra page so some starving pioneer could have a pudding and a sandwich? hmmm

Last one for now. I remember speaking with an elder relative who was assigned to the nightshift security squad at an assembly. Why? Because there was talk of the homeless in the downtown area trying to break in and steal. Steal what, the fine bound books before they were released the next day? The muffin-egg sandwiches or possibly the awesome apple danish (had to be the apple ones because there were always cheese danish left over they tried to sell by the box load after the final session)? Nope. The spirit gum that was used to attach the beards to the actors faces in the drama. Apparently spirit gum theft was so rampant at conventions that a MS was assigned to be 'in charge' of the spirit gum. I met the guy they assigned that year to watch over the stinky stuff. He was honored to have been asked.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Oh, eagle. the memories.

I met a guy, at a Big convention, around 73-74 from Tennessee. He asked for my address. I got a letter. No city for me on the envelope. Just OK. and zip. Now 35 years ago, I am surprised it got to me. Has some cool postmarks, I think it went 4 diff. places. I was so excited to get it. Then I read it. Every other word was misspelled. I didn't write back.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Now that so many other Okra-colons are popping up, maybe we should get an official apostafest meet and greet started. If we got together at the Olive Garden we could call it an a-pasta-fest.

Eagle

• bem
    bem

Like ticks outta the wood works mention Ardmore and the Okies come out I am like so Okie it aint even funny. Thing is I am not super close to Ardmore, well 200 miles away anyway.

Hi Doll HL,

I was born here, but raised in Arizona the conventions I attended were in Tucson. I never attended the conventions in OKC went to some assemblies in Tulsa and a couple in Muskogee, the last dates would of been in 1997. faded then RAN like a bat outta hell shortly after the last one. But the memories are so similar it's sickening.

To my fellow Okies *muah* & XXX Dorothy

• bem
    bem

Oh and pay no attention to the "Kiribati, Phoenix Islands" I am proud to be from Oklahoma. I just divulge too much info so I try to leave some room for guessing. A get together sounds great one of the best Oklahomans there is IMO should come along and post in favor of a get together. I'll see if I can coax him out.

Dorothy

* I quit being able to spell after midnightish also

• horrible life
    horrible life
    a-pasta-fest

LOL That was too easy!!!!!

• horrible life
    horrible life

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/145399/1.ashx

Eagle, how are you doing? Do you have a cast yet?

• horrible life
    horrible life

Dubldipd

This will kinda date me...anyone remember when they used to serve up hot food at the DC in the Myriad?

Oh yes. I remember. I remember the trays, that had compartments, and going through the line, holding my tray, and them plopping the food on.

I remember standing up,at those wooden tables, made of raw 2x4's. I remember not being tall enough to eat, and having to sit on the floor, under the table, with all of those feet around me. Are you from OKC?

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Wow. Now there's more Okies in this thread than there was all put together in the time I was active here (or at least those that would own up to bein' Okies). I'm not from anywhere near Ardmore, either, though.

I certainly share alot of those same convention (well, we called 'em assemblies) memories. Field service too, but fortunately I never really went that much. I've been gone from it for a long time, though.

I'd try to meet up with you if I can, just depends on my schedule. I'm only about an hour out of OKC, so gettin' there's not a big deal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit