Looking for anyone from the Ardmore, Oklahoma area.

by sooner7nc 92 Replies latest jw experiences

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Okies, okies, everywhere....

I absolutely hated rural work. Take your car up the worst private drives, approach houses that the Manson family wouldn't be caught dead in, or get threatened by cranky farmers who wanted you off their land. HATED IT!

Of course, if you are working by the hour, rural is great, because you can count a whole hour, and sit in the car for 45 minutes of it. Residential work has the drawback of walking those long blocks in the heat, calling on every frigging door!

Speaking of the Myriad. Now that the downtown area has been renovated, and the Myriad dolled up as part of MAPS, they got pricey, and now the DC is no longer held there. We have to go to Norman, at the Lloyd Noble Center. That's a corridor that is impossible to cruise! There's less intimacy in a mosh pit.

Oh, and the event that is held at the Myriad during the old time slot is a dog show.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I'm like Rising Eagle, Leave this place for a few hours, and all of the okies come out. I was one of those cuties that guys were watching. Damn I looked good!! I was at the Myarid, for the last time, about 1985. I lived in the city, and my parents talked me into going one day. They were from Tu!sa.

I had to sit like a good girl, since I was about 25. I remember thinking, I got to think up an excuse to get out of here. Of course, I started not feeling well. As I was going down the escalator to leave, I was asked out. He was cool. Hung out for about a month. He was a JW, but I could tell, just barely... Can't even remember his name. He was from South OKC, toward Moore area I think.

• erynw
    erynw

Boomer Sooners, boomer sooners.

HL, I think we were both at the same convention in 85 at the myriad. That's the last one I went to.

I looked at OKC on google earth, broadway extension is a freaking nightmare. I probably couldn't find my way around if I had to.

• DublDipd
    DublDipd

This will kinda date me...anyone remember when they used to serve up hot food at the DC in the Myriad? I used to love those bar-b-que sandwiches! They used to have grapes, soda (no real coke..just that off brand crap)...hell, it used to be like a picnic after the lunch break. Used to have to buy those coupons for food..couldn't pay cash for it (they probably didn't trust those lil bastards servin up the food with cash money, many years I was one of them!)

So they are having the DC's in the Lloyd Noble Center now huh? How do all the old folks get up and down those steps there? It's like climbing up a ladder in that place.

• erynw
    erynw

Wasn't it Shasta Lemon-lime soda? We usually brought our own lunch. I guess they changed the rules after I left about not bringing your own lunch.

• DublDipd
    DublDipd

lol coulda been Shasta erynw...sounds about right. I'm not sure if they ever really had any rules about bringing your lunch. I know that we usually brought ours, but never had enough food to last the whole session out! I remember dad didn't really care if we ate during the talks, if we did it quietly. I always hated it when I needed to open a new Shasta...PPPPPPPPPPpppsssssssssttttttttt .lol

• horrible life
    horrible life

You saw me didn't you. I was the HOT young sister. Well, not really. I wasn't a "sister". Had been married, divorced, just left a 2 year relationship. Moved to the big city, to go to school. I was on the prowl. LOL

By the way, I went back and married the 2 year relationship. Its been almost 22 years ago.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Now you have to bring your lunch. Mandatory. I can see me as a teen, now days in downtown OKC. With Bricktown, and all of the fun. I would be sneaking away, every chance I got. But back when I was in, I was a good girl, who did like cruising, every chance I got.

• erynw
    erynw

I believe I did see you. I saw you in the bathroom trying to figure out how to use two squares of TP. Then I saw you in those tacky red seats chowing down on a stale cheese danish.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo
    How do all the old folks get up and down those steps there? It's like climbing up a ladder in that place.

That's the cool part about it. The upper sections are reserved for the old folks, since they are entry/ground level. They have to sit in nosebleed section for a change. The rest of us get to go down closer to the floor, which works better because it's cooler down there, and it's away from the smell from hell bathrooms (which still have a line of women.)

Oh well, parking is right outside the arena, so no long walks towing all your heavy items, like it was downtown. And if you come in from the back end of the arena, you can avoid traffic AND the idiot attendants waving you around in the lot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit