Jehovah's Witness here.

by nimzo 177 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
    fifi40

Hey John Doe...........why have you gone all girlie on us????

• John Doe
    John Doe

I look better as a woman. ;-)

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

AuldSoul

Don't waste your breath. He was only interested in creating his own reality. He comes on the board, starts up debate on things he already "knows" the answer to, and ignores debate on topics that go beyond theological opinion.

He's sitting at home right now saying "stupid apostates, don't even do real research".

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I'll just add this before I (possibly) leave this thread:

"Apostates" from JWs are not one, big homogeneous group of people, it is not a herd of cattle (or should I say goats...). If you debate an "apostate" and he/she can't give you an answer, this does not mean other "apostates" can't. One "apostate" can give you some reason for his/her beliefs (or lack thereof), that may not coincide with what I for instance believe. Other "apostates" do not (necessarily) speak for me. We are not one group of people, other than by "gathering" at sites like this for support and to do research - many "apostates" never go to sites like this. As big a world as this is, many probably don't even have internet access.

I don't doubt that some "apostates" unfortunately one time or another have posted things to the internet that has been exaggerations or misquotes (this actually grates me to no end), sometimes perhaps for humorous effect, other times not. This does not mean that I agree with them. It does not reflect badly on me as an individual. I am not part of their "group", they are not part of mine, because there is no "apostate" group. We are all individuals, with our own stories and own reasons for leaving.

I think it's fairly common when one does belong to a group, especially when one is a Jehovah's Witness, to lump all others into one 'bag'. 'US' versus 'THEM' mentality. It's very convenient, because if you defeat the argument (or lack thereof) of one person of that group, you can feel that you've "beat them all".

You are part of a "group"; Jehovah's Witnesses, and one that claims to have the Truth, and to be God's only channel today. This means that you represent them whenever you talk religious views. If you do not share their religious views in some area, and openly debate using your own views, you will most likely be disfellowshipped. You therefore, have to stand behind the Watchtower Society when they for instance 'quote mine' scientists to make it seem like they have their support or to show that the scientist's theories are falsified and/or illogical. They print only the part where the scientist points out what seems like a discrepancy in the theory or hypothesis, and not the actual answer to why there is no discrepancy (usually in the following sentence).

As member of their "group", you will also have to represent them when they change their teachings due to 'new light', which is often a change in understanding, not a gradual clearing up of details.

Which also leads to the strangeness that, if I was an active Jehovah's Witness today, and I decided to actively live by what was accepted 'light' back in 1980, I would be disfellowshipped, because enough has changed in the mean time to make that happen. But for the JWs then, it was what they had to follow, and what they were obligated to defend while teaching others.

Anyway - I didn't mean this to become an attack on you; I think that came about because of your confrontational approach to this forum. If you insist that you already have the Truth, you will never learn anything. I think you'll have to agree to this, since a person you'd meet while in the field ministry service would not be susceptible to a change of heart or views if he/she continuously replied that he/she already knew the truth.

I won't try to convert you to anything, though. It's your job to educate yourself, be open to all sides of the debate and their arguments, and "hold fast to that which is good", wherever that may lead you. The more you educate yourself, the easier it should be to sift through which is which. If it leads you to stay a Witness, then at least you have (hopefully) chosen to do so after carefully examining all sides.

• Clam
    Clam

This is why competitive sports are to be avoided. He's got himself wound up because his team lost so he heads towards the enemy, the apostates, and takes it out on them. One sin leads to another, and the only winner is Satan.

• fifi40
    fifi40

Hey John Doe.........yep you certainly are a pretty lady........you look very forties (decade)....... is that the era you were aiming for

• *summer*
    *summer*

1Co 7:23 YOU were bought with a price; stop becoming slaves of men.

Take care, nimzo...God bless~

• Gerard
    Gerard
    He's sitting at home right now saying "stupid apostates, don't even do real research".

It is so sad that it is funny!!! He actualy believes that WT publications are the boundaries of real research. Why does he fear verifying his religion and policies?

• DJK
    DJK

NIZMO......Go Red Sox,,,,Yaaaaaaa

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Hey Nim, I have a divine name, feel free to use it literally, KSMYAS. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit