Jehovah's Witness here.

by nimzo 177 Replies latest jw friends

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I did something interesting with this post that I don't 'normally' do. I just ran through nimzo's (is that the spelling?) posts and found a very judgmental person unwilling to listen to others. S/he kept saying over and over that no one would listen to or respond to his/her question. I admit that I did not read the responding posts to him/her but what I noticed was a person who was totally unwilling to listen to others yet wanted EVERYONE to listen to their posts. Typical single-minded person.

I'm about to leave, so I'll just say this. You guys should try to do research on your own, without the help of anti-jws website or information. Theres two sites of the story, and you cannot believe one side without hearing the other side. Wow, if only if I could show you my collection of WTs articles and all the misquoted information I found. Yikes! :D

There is a good example of the ignorance (notice that ignorance does not mean stupid, it just means uninformed) showed by people who want to 'confront' rather than 'debate.' I love a good debate myself, I however, do not like being confronted without concern about my opinion. Being an ex-jw I understand in a way how this goes down. I was judgmental to the point of being rude, as in this case, because I felt that I was right. No ifs, ands or buts, end of story. I did not learn anything and neither did the person I pissed off. The only thing I would ask for here is the same as this person has been asking for: backup information. (Notice what is highlighted in red. It has been asked over and over for Biblical references by the original poster. The post has also said that s/he is not going to read a lengthy post (why?) If I can ask anything, just please be courteous and actually 'debate' (in other words, listen to responses and answer without sarcasm) and then politely respond. I don't care who you are, pagan to athiest, certain actions work better in a civil conversation.

• erynw
  • Burger Time
    Burger Time

Exactly Dazed. I brought this up to my Mom. If a JW came to my door and I brought up how Simon got baptized even though he wanted to use the powers of the holy spirit for money (Acts 8) the JW's would just say they didn't want to get in a debate because they can't get around it. Yet Paul was willing to go to the Temple and debate (yes even NWT uses the word DEBATE)for days. This is what often brought death threats and jail time on him. How many JW's would be willing to DEBATE for days? Let alone walk in to a church and do it. Paul could PROVE and WIN his debates with miracles and his obvious knowledge of law. You can't even give us examples Nimzo or proof of what you claim. So who is following early Christians examples here?

• 4mylove
    4mylove
    I don't see no happy face

That is a double negative. Oh, wait, the whole don't seek higher education clause......never mind

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I love it. Someone who honestly believes there's an invisible man in the sky who can do magic and the magic mans son;a carpender who died two thousand years ago, are going to kill everyone who disagrees with him. This guy is accusing ME of being delusional...

Feakin' sweet!

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

The whole reason why this person came to JWD is probably one of two reasons:

1. They were just given a promotion in the Kingdom Hall, so they feel powerful!

or

2. They are starting to have doubts and want to pick the brains of those who have been through what they are currently going through.

Either way, the extremely judgemental, antagonistic approach of current JW's in conversation is very telling.

• 4mylove
    4mylove
    The Jehovah's Witnesses have always persecuted for his name sake because they are the only ones doing his will...(nimzy)

Wholly crap nimzy, bit of a Freudian slip there.....since when does anyone have the right to "persecute" except Him?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Reading through this thread is like running into an old boyfriend (insert nimzo, jws, and all the crap here) and suddenly remembering why the hell you're not with him anymore.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    You guys should try to do research on your own, without the help of anti-jws website or information. Theres two sites of the story, and you cannot believe one side without hearing the other side.

You sound like me when I was 16 years old. But guess what, I did do research on my own, without holding the Society's hand or anything else (and this was before the internet and "apostate websites"), and I learned how things were not how they seemed. And believe me, I received an anti-JW tract that contrasted JW beliefs with "Bible beliefs" and it seemed the most ridiculous thing to me at the time, but after learning much about ancient languages and ancient texts and how they are interpreted, I learned much about the "other side of the story" (as you put it) than what is presented in Watchtower literature. Since your adversarial apologetic stance shows that you haven't considered non-JW non-"apostate" sources as fairly and deeply as you could have, I would suggest you research them with a more open mind, perhaps go to college and learn more about critical thinking, and then check back with us in 5 years. Perhaps you may view things differently than you do you now. I sure did.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Meanwhile, here's a little something for you to study:

(1) Read Romans 10:9-13 and 14:8-11 in the NWT.

(2) Get the Kingdom Interlinear or some other Greek interlinear and get some sense of the original Greek.

(3) Try to understand the rhetorical construction in these passages and how the words work together. You may consult a non-JW non-"apostate" commentary to help, if need be. Or compare other translations to get a sense of the rhetorical argument.

(4) Then go back to the NWT and see if anything is amiss in the translation.

(5) If you see nothing amiss, go back to step (1) and repeat the process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit