Mental Illness - diagnosed for me

by Crumpet 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Firstly if I havent thanked you in person for your post please forgive me - its very hard since you can only see the last four posts to refer to when you want to respond. But I am very appreciative.

Jill - thanks for the warning about interfering with the birth control pill with St Johns Wort as I wouldnt have known that. I should probably wait and see what the doctors say and prescribe and at least try it, but I am really keen to try something more natural and that doesnt feel like I am being chemically castrated.

Brigid - it means a lot for me that you still love me. One of things I had to think about for a day or two before I posted this thread was - what if people dont like me anymore. What if next time they see me they are all looking for signs of mentalness and backing away slowly, but I decided I had to take that risk.

Snowbird - did you really call me a wicked old heifer? LOL! Well in what context - I'm sure I had probably done something wickedly cowlike to elicit such a response so I don't mind.

Mr and Mrs Dragonlady - thanks for sharing your experiences - I'm really glad you have found a way through. Sometimes the calm sounds attractive, but if I am rfeally honest I like being different. I love it. What I hate is when I alienate people through weird behaviour and when I am so low that I physically cant motivate myself to do anymore than go to the bathroom for days on end. That is torture.

Purps - I confess I was looking forward to what you had to say and advise on this and you didnt disappoint. I think like you I am very good at hiding and excusing things hence why I have been able to keep a job. That said my behaviour has caused me to lose a job in the past when I was quite young. And truthfully the extra stress of the last few months has caused me to have more repetitive cycling. SOmetimes I can control it and keep at what I call normal for up to two weeks but more normally I have the manic high stage two or three times a week. And some days like Friday I went from high to very low and frighteningly suicidal because of the pressure being put on me by HR at work to calm and then high again.

Learningtofly - you are so sweet and its been clear from the beginning what an asset you will be here.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

wow crumpet, I'm so glad you're getting the help you need. You know I love you and if you ever need me I'm here for you. You're a very strong person and I admire you.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Ninj, Yer a bad lad!

• ninja
    ninja

you know I luv ya jambo

• changeling
    changeling

((((((crumpet)))))))

Fellow bipolar here. Here's my 2cents: Find the right meds. Once you do, make peace with the fact that you will have to be on meds for the rest of your life. Trust me on this, I've tried a couple of times to go without of take mega doses of aminoacids and other supplements. It does not work. I spent a lot of physical and mental energy willing them to work and then crashed in a big way.

It's no diffrernt from being diabetic or having high blood pressure. You have a life long condition that needs to be regulated. The brain is part of the body. Don't let the stigma of "mental illness" get to you. It's an illness like any other. It's unfortunate if you suffer from one, but with meds you CAN live a "normal" life. What's normal anyway???

Seroquel is receiving a lot of attention lately and has a class action suit against it. I'd be leary of that one.

Sometimes you may be prescribed an antidepressant in addition to a mood stabilizer. Effexor works very well but has some nightmarish side effects if you ever want to get off of it. I do not recommend it.

You're in good company with this diagnosis dear,

changeling

• Cellist
    Cellist

((((Hugs)))) Crumpet

Cellist

• BFD
    BFD

((((((Crumpet))))))

It takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing and it only increases my admiration for you. You are one special lady.

Love, Hugs and Kisses,

BFD

• Dagney
    Dagney

(((((Crumpet))))))

Just read this thread. How brave you are, and all here really, to share your life experiences. I don't have much to contribute on this, but no need because the sage advice is all here.

Just know you are loved.

D

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

(((crumpet)))

I am always amazed when someone opens their life up to others like you have to us. For every one who has posted, I wonder how many others are looking on here that are also deeply affected by your words and your experience but are too afraid to post or are just fine staying in the background?

Up until recently I did not know much about bi-polar (or depression and mental illness in general) until I took a Psychology class in college. What an eye opening learning tool that was. In retrospect, I think my ex-fiance was bi-polar. Since ours was a long distance (over the net, phone, web cam, etc), it was difficult to detect..until we met in person.... Now as I read over old transcripts of IM conversations we had, and comparing them with what you have said,...it is so obvious that she is bi-polar.....I hope she gets the needed help...she is a beautiful caring person....

Part of her problem is she went off her meds about a month before we were introduced...without consulting a doctor or anything....... Nina, whatever you do.... dont stop taking (or change the dosage) of your meds without consulting your docs.... PROMISE US PLEASE!.... you will start to feel better, maybe better than you ever did before, and you will start to reason to yourself that you dont need meds anymore.....dont do it.. I too hate the idea of meds, and probably suffer some mild depression issues myself...but once you take the med plunge....stick to it.

ok..Im done...... hang in there, and glad you are back posting and sharing life with us...isolation sucks. Sure hope to meet you in person some day.

Snakes ()

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Crumpet, I am going to send you a PM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit