Mental Illness - diagnosed for me

by Crumpet 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gregor
    Gregor

Jgnats analogy of mental illness being similar to diabetes is right on. The brain is an extremely complex machine that operates by means of chemicals that affect the transmission of impulses through millions of synapsis (think of them as switches). Slight imbalances can lead to switches that stay open too long and switches that don't open properly. This is a simplistic way of describing it but it helped me to understand my own bouts of depression. I had begun to realize that when depressed I naturally tried to connect it to some external cause like money probs or job frustrations or a hundred other things. But it became clear to me that in most cases my depression came from inside, without any obvious external trigger. My dog had not died, I had not been fired, etc.

Medications are not perfect but they can make the difference between living in a state of suicidal thoughts, irrational anger etc and being a relatively 'happy' person.

We are ALL somewhere on this continuum :

Completely Sane -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Completely crazy.

• Threestars
    Threestars

A great book to read on the "creative" aspects of bipolar is Touched With Fire, by Kay Redfield Jamieson.

Thanks for posting your story.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

(((Crumpy)))

I'm glad you got some understanding of yourself, I think it must bring with it some peace? I think Gregor's comment above about us all being somewhere on a continuum from "completely sane" to "completely crazy" is very true. But I also think that just having an honest self-awareness of where on that continuum one is, and why, puts one on much more solid footing towards the "sane" end of the scale, and has a definite prophylactic effect towards staving off the bat-shit crazy end result.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

A veritable plethora of information and support. Jgnat - I too liked your diabetes analogy. The St John's Wort remedy I've heard lots about - I will ask my doctor about it although I know that still much of the medical profession prefer medication to complementary medicine so I am not sure I will learn to much there. I'm anxious to try as natural as possible and very concerned about the rather hit and miss style of prescribing. I could get worse before I get better.

Littledrummerboy - your experiences are very helpful to read. Hellrider this struck a particular chord:

Unless you have really manic periods (go nuts with your credit card, drink like a sponge, sleep with everyone etc), you won`t consider yourself "manic", and consequently, you will never tell your doctor about these periods where you are a little bit...nuts

Unfortunately most of my life has been marked by various episodes of all of the above. I have very manic periods and they affect everything from my personal relationships to my secular work. I never even thought it was something I would tell my doctor about. I just saw it as further confirmation that I am bad. I am going to have to note down some of these books you guys have mentioned. In some ways I feel afraid to know too much, but knowledge is power so I need to try and get over my fears.

To those who mentioned exercise and meditation. I am too restless to hold a thought for long so am not sure meditation will work. Wouldnt know where to begin. Unless of course as Tyrone describes you get these very negative thoughts that cycle over and over and actually become very paranoid - these can keep me awake for nights on end. Usually they are not about people that affect me directly - they will be about some perceived injustice to a friend or someone I care about in general and then I want to wreak revenge on their behalf. I never do, but it can be horrible.

However the exercise thing I can agree with. This is excellent for preventing me getting depressed BUT the adrenalin rush I get often triggers me into what is a manic state....so its hard to find a balance. I have also come to know which foods can make me sluggish and depressed and which keep me fresh and calm. I dont drink coffee or coke - maybe once every few months at most. I quit the coffee because yes it made my whole being race - just a cup was enough so now I just drink herbal tea and have for the last three years. I would definitely prefer to drink less alcohol but I've used it to calm myself down for so long so that I can function but then it can impede function and lead to depression to so really medication should help with this.

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((Crumpet)))

One would never know behind that sweet smile of yours (yes I met you this May as I live close to DFW) that you are covering so much pain. I truly feel for you. Sharing your recent life experience has made a huge impact on many posters and me. Congrats to you for taking care of yourself and seeing a doctor!

I have been battling huge depression triggered last fall by my son shunning me. So I for one, know the crippling affects of depression.

Upon reading some threads, I went out and bought: "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David D. Burns, M.D. I would never suggest you go off your meds, but maybe reading this book can enhance the meds and have a positive affect on how to turn those negative thoughts out of your mind. I haven't read the whole book, but I can say it makes so much sense and a lot of it sounds like me.

Take good care of yourself...I hope you start feeling better!!!

Codeblue

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Codeblue! I know how unhappy you have been and quite naturally so under the circumstances! If a book has helped you find some relief its definitely one for me to add to my now very growing list of books that can help!

Sixy - it was all going well andI agreed Gregor's continuum line etc until this part:

But I also think that just having an honest self-awareness of where on that continuum one is, and why, puts one on much more solid footing towards the "sane" end of the scale, and has a definite prophylactic effect towards staving off the bat-shit crazy end result.

You MUST be aware that this kind of language triggers an episode. I'll leave sparky to explain to you exactly which one!

• exwitless
    exwitless

Little Drummer Boy said:

Then I went to a psychiatrist for the first time. It was a major break through for me because that isn't just admitting you are depressed and having your GP doctor work with you. That is an outright personal admission that you need help in a substantial way mentally. It takes a great deal of courage because there is such a stigma attached to that sort of thing. Also, the admission that I needed that level of help was not an easy pill to swallow (pun intended). But, I consider it to be one of the turning points in my life. I met with the psychiatrist for about an hour or less, had a proper diagnosis for the first time in my life (Bi-polar, Type II), was confidently put on my med (Depakote ER), within 2.5 to 3 days I felt like a normal human again, and I have never looked back.

It did take a lot of courage for him to go to any doctor at all about this. In fact, I had to push him many, many times just to agree to allow me to make an appointment for him to see someone. I started with his GP, because that was much less intimidating than starting out with a psychiatrist. It was a good foot in the door for getting LDB to get help. We definitely should have switched to a psychiatrist earlier. It would have been better to start off with a psychiatrist, but I'm not sure LDB would have ever agreed to it anyway, in his state of mind at the time.

Anyway, my point is, as the wife of a bipolar person who saw him suffer with it untreated for many years, I would implore anyone who needs to get help, please get help. Don't allow yourself to suffer needlessly. You don't know how much better you can feel with the right medication.

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

(((Crumpet))) Thank you so much for sharing like you have! Don't ever stop believing your lovely, (and not bad) I have not been here long, but I totally enjoy your personality and spirit. It takes a lot of courage to share deepest moments and issues. Sharing also helps those around us to open up and share too, it helps to make us all a little more real. Your support and advice has been awesome, sometimes simply being in a sad place in life can help us provide the best wisdom and support because we "know" the feeling and how to support due to knowing exactly what is needed. The hardest thing though, for me as well, is to revert that "love" "unconditional caring" and support back at ourselves.. we all need to learn how to hugs ourselves too, although it takes conscious practice.

I too have struggled with depression on and off since 35, looking back now, when life truly became obvious to me in my mind. My worst depression hit me just this past winter, it was very bad, I understand the feeling of not wanting to move, speak, or to just get out of bed, and laying there with the only thought in mind, please dont let me wake up. The most important person in my life, who is my daughter, my love for her could not break me out of that nearly dead place. Finally due to this very bad time, I have since had a diagnosis as well, did the psychological assessment.. talked and talked.. providing a rather detailed review of life experiences. The outcome, Major Depression, PTSD, OCD, Anxiety Disorder. In the final written diagnosis the Doc clearly stated these issues are an outcome of the abuses experienced as a JW, as well as other abuses, but all stemming from that time period. Medication was prescribed, as well as cognitive therapy.. talk therapy. Things are certainly alot better, but not one hundered percent.. the greatest amount of healing will be from the therapy. Looking back, I know the extreme emotional, mental, spiritual, physical, and what the therapist describes as ritual abuse is at the head of these issues, although I am certainly already predisposed to having some sort of mental illness, it is more pronounced due to experiences.

The best thing I have done since this recent crash, is rejoin the gym, I have found it the best way to self heal brain chemical levels. As well, practicing the cognitive therapy on my own, by just talking, and sharing with others who care.

My daughter also was diagnosed as bi polar this past year, she is an amazing young woman, amazes all with her intelligence and wisdom beyond her years, is an amazing writer and artist.. as well has mood swings that are sometimes hard for her to manage with. She has learned to use her creativity to control her moods quite effictively by writing, drawing, and focussing her attention on activist issues, things she feels passionate about.

A warm hug to you Crumpet, "Let us practice flying together"

LTF

• Hermano
    Hermano

((((Crumpet))))

• Gregor
    Gregor

Many famous and accomplished historical people have since been identified as most probably "Bi-polar"... Winston Churchill, Abe Lincoln, Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Edgar Allen Poe, many others. In fact, a clinical, unbiased examination of the four Gospels indicate that JESUS CHRIST himself was without a doubt BP. One of the most common symptons of psychosis is religious fixation, visions, etc. It is almost a cliche for street crazies to tell everyone they are Jesus Christ. Maybe Jesus went around telling everyone he was the Messiah, the long foretold saviour of the Jews. Obviously there were several people who believed it so that by the time his crazy talk got him killed Jesus had a following.... and the rest is history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit