Mental Illness - diagnosed for me

by Crumpet 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

you don't know me, of course, but I have always looked forward to your posts - witty and wise and funny. I am not bi-polar, have other problems, but have to take meds the rest of my life. As someone else said, you just agree with yourself that you are going to take the meds forever. I lived with a bipolar person who would settle down and be much happier on meds, but it was a little boring to him and he missed the emotional highs, so he would convince himself he didn't need the meds. The problem was that along with the highs come the lows and he would get really depressed and messed up and finally go back to the meds. Much better to just admit you need them and keep taking them.

Mr. and Mrs. Dragonlady gave good advice - from experience which makes it more valuable than mine. Same with purplesofa and the others who live with the problem. I am so glad that the forum can help you and people like me get through the tough times. And I hope you keep posting - you contribute a lot to the forum.

• emptywords
    emptywords

The self harm you mentioned is common with BPD "borderline personality disorder" it is a rotten name and they have been wanting to change it since the 50's, it is an emotinal illness and bi/polar is common with this disorder as is OCD "obsessive compulsive disorder"

It is not uncommon for a BPD to have both these other mental illnesses. BPD is one of the most common illnesses for women in the JW religion.

Usually people with this disorder come from abusive homes or have been neglected as a child, it is most common with women, and is one of the most misunderstood mental illness around, yet in America it is very common and millions suffer from this disorder.

Reading up on this disorder is very helpful as it may help those that have been diagnosed with bi/polar and feel that they are not getting anywhere just with medication alone, to look into coucilling or phychologist.

Cheers

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Changeling - thank you for giving me the benefit of your experience especially with the meds. Its bewildering just how many different kinds of drugs are available for this and a little worrying too. And it seems very unpredictable to know in advance what the side effects might be or how it will be if I need to come off them for any reason.

Thank you BFD - I always appreciate your kind remarks and I love your newish avatar - I want to go there!!!)

Snakes - I can't promise anything at this stage. I havent even been prescribed anything yet. I want as much information as possible before I put alien substances into my body. (Yes this from the girl who smokes!)

Hortensia you silly moo - of course I dont know you in person - YET - but I have felt an affinity with you since you began posting, we think alike on many respects ---of course that doesnt necessarily mean you a crazy too! ;-)

Interesting information there empty words. It would be great one day to know just the extent of mental illness within the witnesses.

I think what I need to do is take on as much information as I can. Please everyone remember that I have got to 32 without medication. I have not given in to any suicidal impulses for a number of years and they are just fleeting. I can overcome the most overwhelming of sensations. And remember I know during my lows that they wont last - they never last more than a week without a reprieve and this may sound crazy I actually enjoy them just as much and they have an equally creative aspect to them too. There is such beauty in sorrow, colours sharpen in this mode too. I never want people to feel sorry for when I am sad, because truly honestly part of me is enjoying that too. Having the label now just clears up a few mysteries about myself. I would say that I am extremely reluctant to lose the highs. I dont harm anyone during them, or even myself that often. I would like something to moderate them - not make them disappear altogether. And I am perfectly happy and content to continue with the lows, except for the fact I cannot let them interefere with my work as I need to continue to support myself, pay my bills and put food on the table.

One of the first things I will investigate will be St Johns Wort. Are there places one can go to to get advice on this from a complementary medicine expert? I am also extremely confident that if I can get some talking therapy so that I can think up new ways to talk to myself when I feel this coming on that I can regulate it better.

I know the popular consensus is medication but thats just the party line, thats what the medical experts say. But look through the ages how our definition of expert has fluctuated in all kinds of fields. Never was there such a proliferation of scientific and medical information available and yet never were more people chosing alternative forms of therapy largely unsupported by the medical profession. In China a completely different form of medicine is used to treat people and has thousands of years of practice behind it. The medical community doesnt treat people, it treats symptoms and that makes an enormous difference. And medicine as we know it today is still very new, so much is pioneering and so often it fails. I want to try to keep an open mind and absorb all I can before I make any decisions.

Thank you all so very very much for your thoughts and support - its giving me so much to think about.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

just a wee word about medication.

sometimes they make you feel worse to begin with....so if you are alone and feeling down or suicidal or want to self harm then meds may heighten that desire before they kick in properly.

it doesn't mean that they don't/won't work

just so's you know

ian x

• DJK
    DJK

Happy dust? I wish it were that easy. You have taken the first steps down a road the length of which will be determined by you. Always look ahead and avoid the bumps.

I started down that road last November and now my journey is almost complete. People around me see a new and happier person. Be strong and positive and I guarantee you will smile again.

DJK

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

(((((((Crumpet))))))

I am so sorry to hear this. I know very little of this illness, so
    I have no advice to offer regarding treatment, but I will be
    thinking about you.

love

Trev xxx

• ninja
    ninja

Image and video hosting by TinyPic I WOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT ST JOHNS WART IF I WAS YOU

• bluebell
    bluebell

Gross! LOL

Crumpet, It's the hardest thing going to a doctor and explaining mental illnesses rather than physical ones. Hope you do well.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Crumps, I was diagnosed and have been on treatment for over 6 years. The most important things I can tell you, in my experience, is to really pay attention to yourself so you can learn when the mood swings are coming. Specially when you feel yourself spiraling down. That adn medication, go a long way in living a very 'normal' life.
    I also recommend that you educate the people closest to you about your condition, so that tehy can recognize any changes in you as a symptom to a very real disorder. This may include informing and educating your employer or immediate supervisor.
    You will be ok. :)

• ninja
    ninja

being tripolar is like being in a big playground...you are always on mood swings,walking a tightrope,spiralling down and jumping to conclusions.....wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit