Mental Illness - diagnosed for me

by Crumpet 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

To speak to the St John's Wart recomendation, this can have a reaction to the birth control pill. So be careful if you give this one a try.

My sister has bi-polar disorder and has tried many different medications. It is a constant battle, but she seems better lately.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Crumpet, here's to you

Thanks for sharing. I had a severe depressive episode back in 2004. After trying out several anti-depressants, I was put on Zoloft which made me feel like someone. I was trying to take care of my semi-invalid mother at the time, and I clearly remember getting the urge to choke the living daylight out of her! I quit taking any kind of anti-depressants and began to feel much better.

One of my nieces sent me some info about eating the right kinds of food according to your type. I try to follow the guidelines to the best of my ability and have noticed a marked improvement in my health. You may want to ask your doctor about this.

And to think at one time I called you a wicked, little old heifer. Please forgive me.

Snowbird

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Hi Crumpet~

I can only speak from my own experiance with my daughter having bi-polar.

Yesterday, by mail, She got her confirmation from the government, their assessment and final diagnosis that indeed she is bi-polar. I have not given her the letter yet.

Looking back when she was a young girl, I can see now that she struggled and was a bit different. I thought it was my divorce and struggles etc etc that effected her. If I had been better informed and not so much into being full of guilt, she may have gotten help sooner. But she is still young and so are you.

She has been taking meds for almost 4 months consistantly now. As she got pregnant when first taking meds(the risk of preg is higher with the meds)......she is now on another medication that has less percentage of birth defects. She is so much more stable, thinking, going through life. Without all the energy dealing with the disorder and the problems it causes, she has an amazing brain that functions and reasons very well.

I did talk to a doctor, feeling I was bipolar as well, she did not seem to think so as I can keep a job and house, etc etc, but actually I always live on the edge. I had another doctor who said my biggest weakness was my strength. There is something bigger inside me that was able to hid my bizarre thinking, so I never got help. I used to get extreme highs and lows. I started to take a mild anti-depressant long ago to sleep and I could tell it was leveling me out. I felt very banal, in the flow of all of mankind. I did not feel those highs in which i was creative or those lows that made me come down to the sadness of humanity.......and the complete aloneness I felt. I felt ordinary, somewhat normal and I really did not like it.

I am coming back to my creative senses, and it is different. It is more disciplined, not totally all consuming. I feel in control, instead of it controlling me.

My daughter is very special to me and although I have five children, I don't think I have loved anyone deeper than my daughter.

What I am trying to say, is there are many that love and care about you.......warts and all. Stick to the people you feel safe and secure with, so that when you feel like you are displaying undesirable behaviour that you are surrounded by people that know the differance between the real crumpet and the other crumpet. As my daughter has come to know herself without the sickness taking over, she was shakey at first. She needed to talk without judgement, which I know you have many friends that will do that for you.

Try again to add me to messenger...........I think I messed it up somehow.

You are in my thoughts often as many others on the board. I am consumed with taking care of things at home and would like to reach out more to others, but often times just cannot.

But when you see me online, I am there to talk.........look forward to it.

purps

You are a very couragious woman...........don't be scared to discover whats inside you.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Bi-polar medications are different that meds for depression.

Anti-depression meds do not work for bi-polar treatment, that is another way of knowing if a person is bi-polar.

My daughter has racing bi-polar, which sounds like what you have. Where other bi-polars have long periods of highs and then lows...........high again.........

racing is highs and lows, within the long periods of highs and lows. if that makes sense.

It is more difficult IMO as you never know when it is going to happen and then there is self doubt about if what you are experiancing is real or not. That is why I think it is so much more important for you to know youself very well.......so again, don't be frightened to explore whats inside you.

• ninja
    ninja

I've visited the arctic and antarctic....am I bi-polar?

• Brigid
    Brigid

(((Crumpet))) darling! Thank you for reaching out and sharing this with us.

We are here.

Be Well,

~Brigid

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

much love to you ... I had an episode of schziphrenia paronoia ... it was hell on earth ... mentall illness is terrible.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

crumpet,

Dragonlady's husband speaking here, read your post, and I'm bipolar and wanted to reach out:

its not easy. medicines can have their side effects. you'll miss your "highs", you'll even miss your depressive epidosodes because that's what you grew to know. you'll have to get to know your "new" self.

stick to your meds. expect to have some side effects. talk to you doctor about how things are going for you (how you're sleeping, appetite, energy level, productivity at school or work, relationships, etc...) they'll probably experiment with your meds, different dosages and types. don't get discouraged. you'll be glad to be off your roller coaster. you'll feel a sense of calm you never knew. don't just "quit" your meds.

i also recommend seeing a counselor. usually, bipolar people have developed some "sloppy psychological" habits that can lead to depression, anxiety, etc... its necessary to break those.

its not your fault, it should not have a stigma. its a chemical imbalance, like diabetes or any other physical thing. take your meds, try to see a counselor, be healthy (get your sleep, eat right, get exercise, have healthy hobbies).

good luck and God bless...

• jambon1
    jambon1

I have jsut read your opening post Crumpet. I sincerely wish you all the best. Please hang in there. My own experience is sooooo less brutal but I found speaking to a mental health professional and putting into action their advice very helpfull. I still today match all the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder but I am fairly evened out now. What I am saying is; you will get there. At one point, I felt that the only way out was the bad way out, but now things are different. Much love, J.

• ninja
    ninja

well ...you will support the jam tarts jambon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit