I hate Walmart!

by Elsewhere 137 Replies latest jw friends

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I worked for several years for a company that prided itself in customer service. I learned a lot of valuable lessons from working there now that I own my own business. As best as I can, I do what is right for my customer. But I charge more than average. I am not the most expensive, but up there.

I have found most customers find that price is not their biggest concern. They want service. They want it to be easy. They want you to anticipate their needs. If you can do this, you will be successful.

If you can take the "Godfather " approach, that it is not personal, it's business, you will be rich.

As far as Walmart goes, I too hate shopping there as the store associates are rude, the customers are rude, the aisles are too narrow. But in the bigger picture, it is a minor inconveinance. However, I will shop elsewhere if I can. They are cheaper overall, if I can deal with all that goes with it.

I have this Walmart documentary DVD in my netflicks lineup. From what I have read, I am looking forward to it more than ever.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    That's the beauty of a free market economy.

A Mom and Pop store can't compete with big business. It's not a free market economy anymore. Monopolies are the issue here.

A relatively recent UN report highlighted the importance of recognizing the political implications of American and European takeovers of Third World companies, which created private monopolies and oligopolies that sustain local price gouging, degradation of living standards, suppression of local independent innovation, and the maintenance of great disparities of wealth.

When consumers buy from a big-box store like Walmart, they generally buy goods from overseas, to save themselves a few pennies, even though I haven't seen any prices dropping in quite some time. So with none of that money recirculating back into the community, the consumers on the whole are poorer. In fact, the only time big-box retailers offer truly superior pricing is when they first arrive in a new community. And that, of course, is just to drive the local Mom and Pop stores under.

And after taking away the livelihoods of the locals, these big-box retailers turn around and offer them jobs at $10.00 an hour. ($8.00 in WI) Then they can accurately say these people demand their low prices, because the big-box retailer just made them poor.

There are many of us who put our wallet where our mouth is. I am by no means well-off. I don't have a lot of money, and I have two teenagers. But, to me, "acceptable" is increasingly unacceptable. Some of us actually shop according to our conscience, which is why I refuse to shop at Walmart. My conscience used to bother me so badly when I worked there, that I would be driving to work in tears. I wasn't the only one either. I knew it was time to go.

An interesting book on the subject....THE BIG BOX SWINDLE

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-0807035009-0

Large retail chains have become the most powerful corporations in America and are rapidly transforming our economy, communities, and landscape. In this deft and revealing book, Stacy Mitchell illustrates how mega-retailers are fueling many of our most pressing problems, from the shrinking middle class to rising water pollution and diminished civic engagement.

Mitchells investigation takes us from the suburbs of Cleveland to a fruit farm in California, the stockroom of an Oregon Wal-Mart, and a Pennsylvania towns Main Street. She uncovers the shocking role government policy has played in the expansion of mega-retailers and builds a compelling case that communities composed of many small businesses are healthier and more prosperous than those dominated by large chains.

More than a critique, The Big-Box Swindle draws on real life to show how some communities are successfully countering the spread of mega-retailers and rebuilding their local economies. Mitchell describes innovative approaches — from cutting-edge land-use policies to small-business initiatives — that together provide a detailed road map to a more prosperous and sustainable future.

• journey-on
    journey-on

WalMart has become a habit. You need some groceries, a new shower liner, a box of crayons, some pics developed, a CD or two, some pet supplies, a garden hose......you get the picture: ONE STOP SHOPPING. Get everything you need in one unfriendly, crowded, sometimes dirty (I'm talking about sh*tty diapers in the parking lot), crappy quality, loud, distasteful borg-like store (they all look alike) with no personality or pleasant shopping atmosphere.

When I HAVE to go, it's get in and get out. I don't like browsing there.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    A Mom and Pop store can't compete with big business. It's not a free market economy anymore. Monopolies are the issue here.

Can you please provide one example of a monopoly that is not government supported? You say that "mom and pop store can't compete with big business." The only way a store can not compete is if they do not provide as much for their charges as another store does. If the mom and pop store provides the small town flavor or character that you like, then by all means support it. Even though the monetary price is higher, you are getting more for your money than by shopping at Wal Mart. If you don't care about that, then by all means shop wherever you want. Instead of badmouthing Wal Mart for being the best at their business, I would have much more respect for espousing the virtues of your chosen place of business. That's fair. Taking pot shots at Wal Mart for being successful is not.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    So with none of that money recirculating back into the community, the consumers on the whole are poorer. In fact, the only time big-box retailers offer truly superior pricing is when they first arrive in a new community

This is patently untrue. Do you realize how many tax dollars flow in every day to the economy from Wal Mart? They generate more tax revenue in one day than you're likely to make in your entire lifetime.

Spare me the propaganda about not putting money back into the community. I live in a community (Fayetteville AR) that is the home of the University of Arkansas. The university received one of the largest private party donations in history recently from the Walton family. What do you say to this?

• eclipse
    eclipse
    The only way a store can not compete is if they do not provide as much for their charges as another store does. If the mom and pop store provides the small town flavor or character that you like, then by all means support it. Even though the monetary price is higher, you are getting more for your money than by shopping at Wal Mart. -John Doe

Well said.

I love shopping at the smaller boutiques when I go into town....yes, they have a higher price because their cost is higher, but the service is exceptional, and it's much more relaxing to browse in those types of stores, than the hectic pace of the large stores, but those larger stores, like wal-mart are necessary, and also make it more affordable for low-income families to feed their family.

• serendipity
    serendipity

From someone in the know - absenteeism for cashiers is very high - 20%. They are also a tardy bunch.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I miss the smaller stores like McCrory, Ames, TG&Y, Ben Franklin. Those were fun stores to shop in, and their prices were low too.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

What's all this I hear about how you hate Walnuts?

Walnuts are a perfectly natural food and a rich souce of Omega fatty acids. And Paulie Walnuts was a key member of Tony Sopranos crew, so I can't see why you would criticize...

..excuse me?

You mean Walmart?

Oh, nevermind.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Forget to turn your hearing aid on, Nate? ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit