I hate Walmart!

by Elsewhere 137 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I agree on the Chinese goods. However, you have to consider the market that buys Chinese goods and the market Wal Mart caters to is one and the same. If shoppers were more discriminating, you can bet stores would carry better items. You have to be serious about your discrimination though. How many are willing to pay $250 for a 3/8" drill, or $150 for a basic socket set? Quality has a price.

• Sassy
    Sassy

well I shop at Walmart for a couple of reasons.. one.. I work for Mattel.. and they are one of our biggest customers.. thus is really is supporting my own paycheck..

but.. mostly because quite frankly it is blocks from my house. Its just more convenient. I prefer Target for the kinds of items I would purchase from Walmart.. however, Im not always in the mood drive past Walmart and to a few more miles and all the traffic to get to Target..

Our malls are worse in Cali.. its mad crazy finding a parking spot..

and all of them have lines.. no matter where you go in Cali..

• BFD
    BFD

JD you're too funny and on the mark here. ( Not the a##hole part, though)

I don't like to shop anywhere, including Wal-Mart. But if there is a line and I have to wait, well what's the big deal. Chances are there is going to be a line so just plan accordingly. It seems like more of a waste of your time to actually go shopping simply to leave your goods at the check-out.

BFD

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I live in Las Vegas and I can go to Wal-Mart at 3:00 a.m. and still have to wait in line for 20-30 minutes. I have found believe it or not check out is faster when you go during the day. Target always has long lines when I go there. I have just accepted the fact that there will be a long wait.

A few weeks ago I went to Smith's Grocery store and got really pissed. It was around 1:00 a.m. and the only cashier they had was at the self-check out and she was helping people use the self check out and giving change. She was running around like a chicken with her head cut off. She kept on asking for help on the phone and help FINALLY came after 20 minutes. Three different people came from the back. I told the supervisor on duty that he was pathetic for not coming sooner to help out the poor cashier. I also asked him why he did not have a cashier checking people out. He said the store was trying a new program where people check themselves out after midnight. I said it failed miserably.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    No store can put another one out of business. A business's failure or inability to compete puts them out of business. If you don't like Wal Mart, vote with your dollars. To whine about Wal Mart putting others out of business because their prices are too low is a bit silly.

That is so not true. Did you even watch the documentary?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "No store can put another one out of business. A business's failure or inability to compete puts them out of business. If you don't like Wal Mart, vote with your dollars. To whine about Wal Mart putting others out of business because their prices are too low is a bit silly."

I disagree. It is ENTIRELY possible to put another business out of business due to lower prices. I never took economics in college, but I believe that is a basic fact of economics.

We had a local grocer (HEB) lower their own prices to below cost and taking a loss - just to force other stores to either follow suit, and reduce their prices - or remain higher priced. Either way, HEB would win - which they did over time. The other stores either out of business (Model Market, Piggly Wiggly, Handy Andy), or were severely crippled to the point that they are a mere shadow of what they used to be.

Other stores like Albertson's tried valiently to compete - but gave up after a bit and retreated to more profitable cities.

Randall's sold out to HEB in San Marcos - as they were not able to compete in that market - giving HEB two stores in that town, where 1 would suffice.

Relating this to Wal-Mart - they are doing something similar - both in small towns, and larger ones.

Regards,

Jim TX

• journey-on
    journey-on

I can't stand Walmart, although, like most folks, if I need a mop bucket or something, I'll go there.

But, other than that, I try to shop at the Mom and Pop businesses even if I have to pay extra. I just figure that extra couple of dollars is what I'm paying for decent customer service and they always seem to appreciate your business.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I disagree. It is ENTIRELY possible to put another business out of business due to lower prices. I never took economics in college, but I believe that is a basic fact of economics.

Feel free to explain how this in any way contradicts what I said about businesses going under for inability to compete. The simple truth of economics is that people will support the business that gives them the best value for their money. Like it or not, Wal Mart is the best value for many people's decisions. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. That's the beauty of a free market economy.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    If you don't like it, go somewhere else. That's the beauty of a free market economy.

This is my attitude EXACTLY......and I DO go somewhere else whenever possible.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Going shopping in Walmart in Kentucky was mainly a social event, as usually at any one point I knew probably half of the customers in the store. So it was a chance to socialize and catch up on some news.

When Amanda and I would visit Kentucky, we usually would stop by Walmart just to see who all we knew.

Here in Tennessee its much different, I dont hardly know anyone in the stores since its a much bigger city I live in now.

I do most of my shopping here at the Dollar tree and Dollar General for household supply items.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit