I hate Walmart!

by Elsewhere 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

For all the people in America or anywhere Walmart exists, searching for the lowest price on an electric toothbrush, (even though Walmart doesn't sell at rock bottom prices, despite its advertising claims) there are plenty of others looking into and becoming aware of the thousands upon thousands of complaints and criticisms leveled at Walmart, including the economic impact of store openings AND CLOSINGS!!...the notoriously low wages... the enormous wealth of the Walton family...the questionable working conditions at overseas stores...the many ongoing lawsuits against them...and their opposition to labor unions. The fact that they occasionally repackage and resell returned, defective merchandise. Working at the service desk off and on, I know this is true.

The customer's interest is best measured by the length of its attention span. Walmart sells merchandise in the beginning as cheap or cheaper than their competition by using methods that look a lot like the methods of a monopoly, such as predatory pricing. They skirt violations of U.S. anti-trust laws while exploiting people through pathetic wages and flimsy benefits. It's all terrible, just terrible. Uncontrolled greed is capitalisms greatest weakness and most possible downfall.

The truth is, Walmart could not survive in a real free market. It would, for example, have to pay Chinese workers more (which would ruin its low-wage business model) and refuse any offers of government subsidies. Picture THAT! Walmart is the business model fawned over by free-marketeers, but in truth Walmart exposes the so-called "free market" as a lie, nothing more than a crude marketing phrase

But, hey...have you heard about how far back they just rolled the price on a
    tube of foot cream? Wow!

• wednesday
    wednesday
    have seen cashiers have to be taken to the back because they were crying so hard from rude and abusive customers. They do not pay enough for that.

April

I won't argue with you about walmart-I do shop there b/c I'm poor and can't afford to shop any other place-well maybe the dollar store.

I just wanted to say that I have worked for 30+ yrs and the stuff you describe happens at all jobs

weds

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I have worked many retail jobs also. Spanning over 35 years. Montgomery Ward. Jewel-Osco. AJ Wright, among others. Mostly to supplememt another job that paid a good wage. I have to say I have never seen the out and out code violations, mistreatment of associates AND customers, deceitfullness, and misconduct that I saw at Walmart. They get away with it because they can. And they have the money/lawyers to laugh in the face of most lawsuits.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Tatiana...you've taken some heat about your view on Walmart, but I've seen some of what you talk about.

For those that keep insisting that the jobs at Walmart are all for college kids - those folk need to get out and see more of these places. In the local Walmart here, at least half of the cashiers are women between 55-65. Now, it's pretty easy to sit and judge someone that age as being unskilled, uneducated or lazy, as some people seem to want to do - but there are many reasons for people those ages having those jobs. Some had pensions from long term jobs but the company might have gone bankrupt - they had to find a job and it's all they can find to supplment social security. Some had their own businesses go bust - I know one elderly guy who after running a successful business for 30 years, brought his son into it with him. Within a year, they were bankrupt and now the guy is a greeter. My sister and her husband owned their own business - they had skill plus ...the marriage split up and the income dried up, she took a job at Walmart when she couldn't find anything else. At her age, she will be rejected for any job where the employer has to fork out full time wages, some basic healthcare and any sort of pension. That's reality.

I was with her when she got hurt on the job. She ended up in emergency and we had to fight for the next 5 months to get her workers comp because the company was stalling, lying and making all sorts of hardship for her. At one point they told her that she no vacation time on the books to pay her out - I knew that was a lie because I went over all her records and dates and I've worked in offices for over 20 years!..so began another fight and lo and behold wouldn't you know it - got overlooked, yeah we owe you a few weeks of pay. Then they lost the paperwork she filled out when she got hurt on the job - lucky we took copies of it all. The list goes on and on and on...Walmart has cheap prices and I will shop there if that's all I can get to, but I will go elsewhere if I can. sammieswife.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

sammielee24:

For those that keep insisting that the jobs at Walmart are all for college kids - those folk need to get out and see more of these places

I believe it was Tatiana who made that claim.

In the local Walmart here, at least half of the cashiers are women between 55-65. Now, it's pretty easy to sit and judge someone that age as being unskilled, uneducated or lazy, as some people seem to want to do - but there are many reasons for people those ages having those jobs.

I completely agree. Whatever their reasons, they are there because they prefer it to the other alternatives available to them.

Some had pensions from long term jobs but the company might have gone bankrupt - they had to find a job and it's all they can find to supplment social security. Some had their own businesses go bust - I know one elderly guy who after running a successful business for 30 years, brought his son into it with him. Within a year, they were bankrupt and now the guy is a greeter.

You seem to think it's a bad thing that someone will employ these people when they most need it. I'm not sure why. Isn't it a good thing that these people who would otherwise be financially destitute are able to find gainful employment?

My sister and her husband owned their own business - they had skill plus ...the marriage split up and the income dried up, she took a job at Walmart when she couldn't find anything else. At her age, she will be rejected for any job where the employer has to fork out full time wages, some basic healthcare and any sort of pension. That's reality.

And if Walmart were forced to provide better wages all these benefits there would be more demand for their jobs from yonger more qualified people. Who would employ your sister then?

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Sorry to go back to an older thread, but I thought this July 2006 article from Harper's was interesting. Forgive me....I've been backtracking lately.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2006/07/0081115

Just a few paragraphs from the article.....

Breaking the chain: The antitrust case against Wal-Mart

Popular notions of oligopoly and monopoly tend to focus on the danger that firms, having gained control over a marketplace, will then be able to dictate an unfairly high price, extracting a sort of tax from society as a whole. But what should concern us today even more is a mirror image of monopoly called “monopsony.” Monopsony arises when a firm captures the ability to dictate price to its suppliers, because the suppliers have no real choice other than to deal with that buyer. Not all oligopolists rely on the exercise of monopsony, but a large and growing contingent of today's largest firms are built to do just that. The ultimate danger of monopsony is that it deprives the firms that actually manufacture products from obtaining an adequate return on their investment. In other words, the ultimate danger of monopsony is that, over time, it tends to destroy the machines and skills on which we all rely.

Examples of monopsony can be difficult to pin down, but we are in luck in that today we have one of the best illustrations of monopsony pricing power in economic history: Wal-Mart. There is little need to recount at any length the retailer's power over America's marketplace. For our purposes, a few facts will suffice—that one in every five retail sales in America is recorded at Wal-Mart's cash registers; that the firm's revenue nearly equals that of the next six retailers combined; that for many goods, Wal-Mart accounts for upward of 30 percent of U.S. sales, and plans to more than double its sales within the next five years.

The effects of monopsony also can be difficult to pin down. But again we have easy illustrations ready to hand, in the surprising recent tribulations of two iconic American firms—Coca-Cola and Kraft. Coca-Cola is the quintessential seller of a product based on a “secret formula.” Recently, though, Wal-Mart decided that it did not approve of the artificial sweetener Coca-Cola planned to use in a new line of diet colas. In a response that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago, Coca-Cola yielded to the will of an outside firm and designed a second product to meet Wal-Mart's decree. Kraft, meanwhile, is a producer that only four years ago was celebrated by Forbes for “leading the charge” in a “brutal industry.” Yet since 2004, Kraft has announced plans to shut thirty-nine plants, to let go 13,500 workers, and to eliminate a quarter of its products. Most reports blame soaring prices of energy and raw materials, but in a truly free market Kraft could have pushed at least some of these higher costs on to the consumer. This, however, is no longer possible. Even as costs rise, Wal-Mart and other discounters continue to demand that Kraft lower its prices further. Kraft has found itself with no other choice than to swallow the costs, and hence to tear itself to pieces.

The idea that Wal-Mart's power actually subverts the functioning of the free market will seem shocking to some. After all, the firm rose to dominance in the same way that many thousands of other companies before it did—through smart innovation, a unique culture, and a focus on serving the customer. Even a decade ago, Americans could fairly conclude that, in most respects, Wal-Mart's rise had been good for the nation. But the issue before us is not how Wal-Mart grew to scale but how Wal-Mart uses its power today and will use it tomorrow. The problem is that Wal-Mart, like other monopsonists, does not participate in the market so much as use its power to micromanage the market, carefully coordinating the actions of thousands of firms from a position above the market.

Another basic premise of the free-market system is that the price of a commodity or good carries vital information from actor to actor within an economy—say, that cherries are scarce, or vinyl floor tiles abundant, or the latest iPod includes a new technology. Again, no one can deny that, technically, every firm that supplies Wal-Mart is free to ask whatever price it wants. But again, we must ask whether this holds true in the real world. Every producer knows that Wal-Mart is, as one of its executives told the New York Times, a “no-nonsense negotiator,” which means the firm sets take-it-or-leave-it prices, which as we know from the previous paragraph are far harder to leave than to take. Every so often Wal-Mart will accept a higher price, but then the retailer's managers may opt to punish the offending supplier, perhaps by ratcheting up competition with its own in-house brands. Price, within the consumer economy, increasingly carries but one bit of information—that Wal-Mart is powerful enough to bend everyone else to its will.

Those who would use the word “free” to describe the market over which Wal-Mart presides should first consult with Coca-Cola's product- design department; or with Kraft managers, or Kraft shareholders, or the Kraft employees who lost their jobs. These results were decided not within the scrum of the marketplace but by a single firm. Free-market utopians have long decried government industrial policy because it puts into the hands of bureaucrats and politicians the power to determine which firms “win” and which “lose.” Wal-Mart picks winners and losers every day, and the losers have no recourse to any court or any political representative anywhere.

• love11
    love11

Me too! Every time I go there, it is a bad time. Once every year or so, they sucker me in again with their low prices. But it only serves as a reminder as to why I don't shop there. The reasons I have are: They used (not sure if they still do) child/ slave labor to make their products, so ethically it bothers my conscience to shop there. Also, it seems to be a magnet for weirdo's. I have to watch my children like a hawk there. The last time I went there the cashier grabbed the paper I was reading. So much for customer service! To get lower prices than Walmart, I shop the Dollar Store and Big Lots.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

A trailer for the film documentary, The Corporation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa3wyaEe9vE

A two and a half hour documentary on the history and development of the American corporation and how it achieved its current state of world domination might seem like a recipe for a very dry and dull movie experience. Not at all. I was riveted from beginning to end. I checked my watch a couple of times because I couldn't believe that such a stunning pitch could be maintained for so long.

There are almost too many powerful scenes to recall. The major one for me is the psychiatrist listing the traits of a psychopath and having every single one of them checked off as perfectly describing a corporation (since a corporation is legally a person). A Corporate CEO describing how what he does should be illegal.....and he can't believe it's not. The news reporters speaking about being fired from FOX for not agreeing to report a lie.

To dismiss this as merely "left-wing scaremongering" is missing the point. What this film presents are facts about who has real power in the modern world, and every citizen who gives a damn about the future of the world we live in has a duty to educate themselves as to what it is being done in the name of enormous financial gains for a very small elite of unbelievably greedy and selfish men.

One of the "subplots" that didn't make the final cut was about a children's festival where the Canadian singer/ children's entertainer Raffi was due to give a concert. Upon entering the festival, parents were greeted by a mocked-up KIA car showroom that would inevitably get the children excited as they were allowed to play in the cars, whilst being given KIA merchandise. The presence of this corporate employment of children pester power to be directed at their parents so disgusted Raffi that he pulled out of the concert. One of the reasons this segment was not included was that the film-makers were denied the opportunity to film the KIA showroom, and the handheld footage that they shot secretly wasn't good enough to be used in the final film.

There is waaay too much in here to describe it all. I think it should be shown in every high school.
  • REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

I've experienced worse and not at a Walmart, but in a grocery store in Germany, where sales clerks know NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL!

I was in a grocery store, got my groceries, headed to my car and as I was placing my groceries in the back of my car, I always check the milk bottles to make sure the caps are tightly closed to avoid leakage. The last thing I want is a car smelling of sour milk *yuck* I noticed on one of the milk bottles (glass) the cap would not tighten, the more I turned would result in it popping back open. Worn threads? Anyway, so I headed back in with that bottle of milk, went up to the customer service counter and told the lady that I needed to exchange this bottle for another one because it wouldn't shut tight. Her response? "Oh, but you can't do that!" Boy was I fuming inside. I took the bottle, slammed it down on the counter and said to her, "Wanna bet?" I marched back, got myself a new one, walked out of the store and nobody said a thing.

LINDA

P.S. I'll take a long waiting line anytime over something like this episode. GRRRR!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Also watch the Enron documentary, along with Walmart - the High Cost of Low Prices and the Corporation. For anyone that thought the power outages back in California back in the 'day' were because the power system couldn't handle the demand - watch Enron and see how one company because of corruption and greed, caused these outages themselves to earn even more money. And before we shrug our shoulders, let's remember that there were people who lost wages, jobs and in some cases their lives, when the power was shut off. It had nothing to do with the power grid but with corporate greed. sammieswife.

A two and a half hour documentary on the history and development of the American corporation and how it achieved its current state of world domination might seem like a recipe for a very dry and dull movie experience. Not at all. I was riveted from beginning to end. I checked my watch a couple of times because I couldn't believe that such a stunning pitch could be maintained for so long.

There are almost too many powerful scenes to recall. The major one for me is the psychiatrist listing the traits of a psychopath and having every single one of them checked off as perfectly describing a corporation (since a corporation is legally a person). A Corporate CEO describing how what he does should be illegal.....and he can't believe it's not. The news reporters speaking about being fired from FOX for not agreeing to report a lie.

To dismiss this as merely "left-wing scaremongering" is missing the point. What this film presents are facts about who has real power in the modern world, and every citizen who gives a damn about the future of the world we live in has a duty to educate themselves as to what it is being done in the name of enormous financial gains for a very small elite of unbelievably greedy and selfish men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit