I hate Walmart!

by Elsewhere 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Nowman
    Nowman

I avoid Walmart almost always, but now that I have a new baby girl, I find that I have my mom-in-law go there when she makes her round there (hey, she offers), baby needs are cheaper there. Otherwise, I can't stand it. I think it smells funny in there too. I prefer Target. These days I prefer it most of all because I love baby clothes!

Ha. Nikki

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

You seem to think it's a bad thing that someone will employ these people when they most need it. I'm not sure why. Isn't it a good thing that these people who would otherwise be financially destitute are able to find gainful employment?

My sister and her husband owned their own business - they had skill plus ...the marriage split up and the income dried up, she took a job at Walmart when she couldn't find anything else. At her age, she will be rejected for any job where the employer has to fork out full time wages, some basic healthcare and any sort of pension. That's reality.

And if Walmart were forced to provide better wages all these benefits there would be more demand for their jobs from yonger more qualified people. Who would employ your sister then?

Wrong. I don't think it's a bad thing that these people are being employed - I was applying those comments in response to others where it seems to be a common myth that only the young, uneducated or unskilled have Walmart jobs - or any other job in any service sector where wages are low. Regarding my sister - if Walmart were forced to provide benefits and higher wages, then she would be paid those same wages and benefits and if they then did not wish to hire an older worker, then she would be working in another job for no less than she is paid now. sammieswife.

• tan
    tan

I love WalMart...expecially Super Walmart. One stop shopping. Sorry about your experience.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

You can download The Corporation here free.....it's worth watching.

http://torrentfreak.com/sundance-winner-the-corporation-released-for-free-on-bittorrent/

• maxwell
    maxwell

I wouldn't say I hate Walmart. But I don't shop there. I'd like to say that I make this choice mainly because of their business practices. But I do shop at Target. I am sure Target and K-mart and any of their other large competitors have similar business practices. I think some would argue that their competitors are forced into similar tactics because the leader Walmart uses bad business practices (treating employees unfairly, using cheap labor in bad conditions in foreign countries, etc.). Some would say that if you can force Walmart to change that others would follow.

In any case, there is no Walmart near me, so it's pretty easy for me to avoid them, though I'd like think I would still avoid them even if they were a near option. I'd have to take long regional rides on buses that don't run very often to get to a Walmart. They never build pedestrian friendly stores. They are always surrounded by huge parking lots. Before Walmart went out of vogue, I think DC was trying to lure a Walmart into town, but they decided not to build because they couldn't have their huge surface parking lot. I am not sure if that was because of zoning code or simply not enough space.

On the other hand, there are at least two Targets that are easily accessible for me. One is right off a metro rail stop. The other is a short local bus ride or a short bicycle ride. There's a nice bicycle rack right by the front door. I've never seen a bike rack at a Walmart. Of course, it's been a few years since I've been near a Walmart. There are parking lots around the Targets, but not nearly as huge wastelands of space as the things around Walmart. Further, there is a Target going up in my neighborhood. If there is parking, it will be under or over the store. The store will have a street front entrance. I must admit that this Target is part of swift trend of gentrification in the neighborhood, but that's another story. Hopefully the neighborhood will not lose all its character and start looking like the suburbs with all of these big chains (Marshall's and Best Buy, among others, are also coming). But at least it does not revolve around the personal automobile as the primary means of getting to the store.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

this thread is funny..........

walmart sucks on so many different levels............ yet they rake in the dollas

you have to watch what you buy at walmart because alot of their stuff is at the end of its life and about to spoil.... so they mark it down and you gotta move quick with it

so you go to walmart and get the goods there cheaper........ yeah some of them are...... and try to check out.

they have 50 check out lines............ and 5 or 10 checkers............. WTF

when i have to go i try to take pains and go at odd hours so i can get in and get out..... do not go on the weekends.

friend of mine was a vicious bastard............. but he was hilarious.

we went in to walmart to get stuff for a camping trip...... loaded up our cart with prolly 400 dollars worth of stuff and got to the front and how many checkers? 3 and only on one side.

we waited for30 to 45 minutes and he said you know what...... screw this...............

so he rolled the cart back to the back and found a place where there was a gap between the shelving............ started chucking the steaks into the gap...............................

i was like DUDE WHAT ARE YOU DOING............

his reply.......... if they cant pay people to check me out.............. ill make sure they lose the money they woulda paid them to take care of me and my huge a** sale.

apparently when he was forced to wait for no good reason he decided to take it out on them......................

every time i went back to that store i walked by that isle and it usually smelled of rotten meat...

i dont condone it.......... but i love to see walmart loseing money

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

had another friend who worked at walmart at night............ in a store that wasnt open 24 hours......... he did the floors at night....... they wanted him to clock out when he was done with his work and sit there waiting for them to come let him out of the store.

now did they come when he called....................... as soon as he finished his work? hell no they wouldnt come untill the morning shift needed them to, but apparently they said if he wasnt working he better be off the clock....... so he took extra breaks to make his work appear to last all night

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Just bringing this bttt to compliment the other Walmart thread. Too much stuff here to repost. Just in case anyone's interested. If not, it will float back to where it belongs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit