I hate Walmart!

by Elsewhere 137 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Can't say I like Walmart but I have a sister that works in one and I've dealth with the offices over time to have a pretty good understanding of what goes on.

If it's the only job in town you can get - you work it. That being said, I've been told the conditions are not that good - and in fact I know they can be pretty bad. In some places the accounting people that I've dealt with serve a number of locations so they have to drive to one place and work on account, drive to another town to work on accounts and so on. This can be a real pain but it saves Walmart money. Its not generally the employee who is at fault - often the store manager will cut hours so that there are not enough people on cash. I've watched my sister go in and work half the store on the floor due to poor scheduling etc and she gets just as frustrated as the customers do. Its about the money and nothing else.

As for the products. I watched a show once that explained how they keep those prices so low. The stuff you think you are getting thats the same quality because it appears to have the same name, isn't. Electronics are a big one. Some popular household products like soap and pop. They are made specifically for Walmart. Those standards are not higher. I try to buy as little as possible at Walmart but the only shopping here is Walmart at one end and KMart at the other. Walmart is dirty and slow - Kmart is slow and prices are higher. I try and wait and do most shopping out of town where I have more choices of where to spend my buck. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    What incentive do cities have for giving Wal Mart reduced priced land or tax breaks? Why do they do this? You're good at posting copy and paste drivel, now let's see how well you answer a simple question in your own words.

John, while waiting on Tatiana, might I sugges that part of the reason is that the leaders of the community hope that when people see Walmart and stop in there, they will also look around and spend money at the other community stores. The other reason is pressure. The small town that I lived in did not want a Walmart and the people fought it for years. They bought up the farming land just outside the town limits but within the county, and after a few years of going back and forth to court, they finally won. I believe the company is fighting to open more stores in some areas of California that people do not want and are trying to block, but they have a lot more money to keep on fighting. sammieswife.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Furthermore, I will guarantee you that not allowing workers to open these doors is limited to opening doors for frivolous reasons. I'm personally aware of a charge in the last city in which I lived that the fire department makes to retailers any time the fire alarm goes off for any reason--$2500. Were you aware of this?

I am perfectly aware of this, which makes the whole "lock in" more insidious. Sure, you can leave the store, but you'll have to pay $2500 if no one was dieing.

I could never work under such circumstances. Locked in!?!?! Hell no!

If an employee can't simply step outside for a moment of fresh air, that is wrong.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Most Wal Marts are now open 24 hours, so the locked door thing is even more bogus in those stores.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Wal Mart is mainly a college kid job, and is paid as such. What business does a man with a family to support have working at Wal Mart? Should Wal Mart be responsible for the family man's being too lazy to get a better paying, more skilled job?

Sometimes I have to wonder at this sort of mentality. So a person living in a small town, whose business might have gone bust or who got laid off from a major manufacturer takes the only job he can get at a Walmart and you decide that working for a low paying job makes him lazy? If the guy sat on his ass and asked for welfare instead of working you scream lazy welfare bum. The guy takes whatever job he can to support his family - you still scream lazy. He contributes. You still scream lazy then link it to unskilled. Go figure. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Hating Wal Mart is a wierd part of the psychological makeup of many, some sort of cathartic need to hate anything succesful or large. Quite sad actually.

As per your own choice of words citing a family man who works at Walmart as lazy and unskilled - I would say that it is equally cathartic for a segment of the population who prejudges so easily and quickly, to fill a void in themselves to hate anything they deem unworthy or less than themselves based on a standard of success that they have set up. There are those in some segments of society that look at the working poor as uncouth. Nothing more than a blight. Something to be tolerated. That is actually very sad and speaks volumes about the lack of integrity a person haves in making a comment like that. sammieswife.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sometimes we do what we have to, but I can not have much respect who makes a career out of working at an entry level Wal Mart position. Such a position should be low paying to encourage workers to attain more skills and make themselves more valuable to the community. Such jobs should be seen as transition jobs and not permanent.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I did not make the statement that the working poor are uncouth. The assertion that I made is that they are lazy, and I realize this was a poor generalization. Some are lazy. These are the ones I have no sympathy for. For the ones who can not legitimately handle a more skilled job than Wal Mart, then so be it. That doesn't, however, make his job any more valuable to the community.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

John Doe

Sometimes we do what we have to, but I can not have much respect who makes a career out of working at an entry level Wal Mart position. Such a position should be low paying to encourage workers to attain more skills and make themselves more valuable to the community. Such jobs should be seen as transition jobs and not permanent.

your comments are infuriating as usual. Every job, at every level is valuable. When you and others can see jobs this way America will be a much better place to live. and its inhabitants will be much happier within themselves. purps

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I have the perfect solution for everybody. Anybody who hates Walmart is free not to shop there or to work there. If you genuinely hate Walmart more than the alternatives (higher prices, travelling further etc.) then you need never ever set foot in one. If you hate their long lines, just say sod it and shop somewhere with shorter lines. If you hate that they buy foreign goods, stick a finger up at them and buy locally-produced. If you think they pay to little, spit on them and get a job that pays more.

The only people who could possibly be unhappy with that solution are those who don't understand economics and don't respect individual freedoms - but who cares what those morons think?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit