I hate Walmart!

by Elsewhere 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I am not fond of Walmart, either. They have one locally, which is near to where I live. It is almost ALWAYS busy - shoppers milling around - kids out of control - long lines at the checkout, etc. I believe we overheard someone at the store make the statement that this Walmart is one of the busiest ones in the state.

I've finally convinced my wife that this particular Walmart is not worth going to - unless there is no other choice.

There is one in a small town 30 miles away (Hondo, TX), that we have 'discovered' that is much nicer to shop. It is large, and even on the busiest of holidays, the parking lot is still not full. The people in the store are friendly - both customers and employees.

As for the comments on the produce being 'made in the u.s.a.', I am not sure what part of the country that the person lives in who made the comment, but many of the fruits and veggies that we now get are from foreign soil. Avacados - Mexico. Oranges - Australia. Read the fine print on the labels that they slap on the fruits.

Many of the other food items - frozen waffles - Canada. Seasonings - Canada.

I cannot agree with that 'made in America' remark, after carefully reading the labels.

Regards,

Jim TX

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Add my family to the hate list!

I avoid that store like the plague. There are times I stop there.Maybe three times a year. I am not perfect in my avoidance, but I never go there to "shop". I hate what they have done to small town America and the businesses they have ruined! I have seen many go under due to their greed.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Ironically, they are the number one retailer in the world and your complaint stems from them being popular enough to elicit long check out lines.

Bull hockey JD.

I dont know how often I've been in there (Wal-Fart isnt the only perp) and there are long lines and 1/2 to 3/4 of the lanes are closed. You are right in something eliciting long lines but it is management apathy.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Recently there was a Wal-Mart shooting in a parking lot that left a man dead. I posted this on another thread.

The man intervened when he saw a woman being pistol whipped for her purse.

Now, just this morning, I hear about how they tried to save money on security.

I do go to Wal-Mart, but I wont go to this one anymore.

purps

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I don't "Hate" Walmart, however I don't shop there as much as I used to. Long line ups and I always seem to spend too much. Plus, at the store closest to me there is a MacDonald's right at the front of the store, which I hate, being on a diet and usually starving after trying to shop with three kids. The number one reason I still go to Walmart is......they have the best price on huggies diapers in town. all the time. not just when they are on sale. The number two reason is......kids clothes. Good prices, easy return policy and a wide selection. Just my two cents.

Bobbi

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Perhaps you should listen to you dislike and not make more work for the workers by getting things out you're not going to pay for.

The purpose of leaving items at the front is to serve as a punishment to the company for dissatisfactory service. The only way to punish a corporation is by hitting their bottom line. The more people who leave a full basket at the front the more costly it will be for Walmart. Instead of making a profit Walmart will loose money by having to pay someone to restock the items. If anything I'm ensuring more work (and therefore more money) for more people.

Eventually Walmart will realize that it is cheaper to provide satisfactory service than to make people wait in long lines like cattle.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I have walked out several times at Wally world, they suck, sometimes the price just does not justify the inconvienence.

• Brigid
    Brigid

I used to hate Wal-Mart. No amount of money I had to spend driving or just over-paying at another warehouse store or even boutique shop would deter me from avoiding Wal-Mart. It was not so much the political angle, as I see the darwinian effects of free-markets at play (when people are sick enough of it, they will adapt and evolve)--it was the poor lighting, the sheer psychic misery that oozed from its very core and yes, I will admit it - the clientele. But....but, I have found the mecca of Wal-Marts; a nicely staffed store with hardwoods, good lighting (incl natural light from skylights), nicely stocked shelves, somewhat cheerful employees, not to mention clean in Plano TX (a soccor mom haven). And I shop there again. it's the next step in wal-mart's evolution.

Back to the Darwinian angle - yea, if you hate Wal-Mart, don't shop there. At one time in my life, I came into a decent amount of stock in Wal-Mart. I decided to try Sam's Club instead of my beloved Costco. I witnessed a manager treating an cashier very badly and blaming her for something that was his responsibility with my transaction. We wrote a letter (at my insistence) naming names, sold our stock and converted it to Home Depot stock. They do the same predatory pricing with their suppliers as Wal-Mart, btw.

Capitalism and globalization are heartless beasts but with us adn shaping us right now nonetheless.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I wouldn't set foot into a walmart if they were giving away free televisions by the truckload.

There is nothing they have that I can't get somewhere else with much better service. As far as I'm concerned, their existence is every bit as obscene as that of the watchtower.

W

• JH
    JH

No matter where I'll go shopping, I'll probably wait in line for a few minutes before paying, so I don't let that bother me.

I go shopping someplace becasue they have what I,m looking for and its cheaper there.

If they have what i want at a better price, I don't mind waiting in line a little longer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit