I hate Walmart!

by Elsewhere 137 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

Just heard of yet another reason - WTS style - teens in Mexico working at Wal Mart are classed as "volunteers" and are unpaid workers!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20056614/site/newsweek/

I wanted to note that this is not because Wal-Mart is forcing them to work "unpaid". This is because that is a local custom there at grocery stores in general. You would find the same thing at other grocers. Senior citizens also take advantage of this volunteer arrangement.

Imagine this: You run a store, you have employees. Some local teens in your very poor community come by and ask if they may volunteer to bag groceries so that they may perhaps receive tips. Do you run them off? Or do you let them take advantage and make some tip money?

Don't be a knee-jerk.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Greendawn -- most of the stores here in America do have an express checkout lane - 10 items or less, or in Wal-Mart's case 20 items or less.

From what I've seen, many Target stores also have overcrowded checkout lines. But K-Mart doesn't, not as many people shop there!

I hope Wal-Mart's recent moves to introduce organic food sections and to investigate possible ways to save energy and go green are signs of a shift towards a more responsible approach to retailing.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    to investigate possible ways to save energy and go green are signs of a shift towards a more responsible approach to retailing.

The only reason they "decided" to go green was because they were sued. Check out the documentary. Walmart has so many lawsuits against them right now it's unbelievable. The long lines are because they have 14 lanes, not including self-check, and only 5 cashiers working.

Self-checkout is supposed ot be for ten itens or less. At my store, customers would come into the self-checkout lane with two carts full of items. This happened all the time. I would politely walk up and tell the customer that this was an express lane, and they had more than ten items.

One of the reasons I quit was that more often than not, I got cursed at and told, "Well, if you had more cashiers, I'd go to another line. So, shut up and leave me alone!" Like I was responsible for hiring. Then the customer behind them with ONE item would get angry at me too, for not INSISTING the two-cart customer leave. Only I couldn't. According to management, that's all I was ALLOWED to say. If they wouldn't leave, I had to let them ring up 200 items if that's what they had.

I am a mystery shopper also, and I have evaluated K-Mart, Shopko, Home-Depot, and Walmart. Walmart was by far the worst retailer for customer service, (finding someone to help you at all was a miracle--they have ONE employee covering three departments) items in stock, wait time, store/restroom cleanliness.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "But K-Mart doesn't, not as many people shop there!"

I used to shop at K-Mart. I liked their grocery section. K-Mart pulled out of the local market - so did Albertson's.

It seems that aggressive marketing by Wal-Mart and a local HEB grocery store caused them to retreat from the local area.

As for lines - I will stand in them when I have items to purchase - just like most everyone else has to do. Some people, whether it be at the grocery store, or on the highway - refuse to take their turns in line, and try to 'cut' in line. Just like back in High School... "gimme cuts? I'll be your friend."

I think that I detest this mentality almost as much as I dislike shopping at places like Wal-mart.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Also, if it matters to you, pick up the book--"Selling Women Short: The Landmark Battle for Workers' Rights at Wal-Mart," the paperback published two years ago in light of the Dukes v. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. litigation.

http://www.business-humanrights.org/Categories/Lawlawsuits/Lawsuitsregulatoryaction/LawsuitsSelectedcases/Wal-MartlawsuitregenderdiscriminationinUSA

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

It's not worth the few measly dollars of savings on just a few items to constantly shop there."

Maybe not if you have other options within reasonable driving distance. However, with the price of gas these days I'll drive the four miles to the local WalMart instead of driving 30-40 miles for something else.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    JD:

I see no problem with disagreeing with someone over a minor issue such as Walmart, but to go ahead and call that person an A'hole makes you an absolute jerk. I would think that someone who claims to have a major in English would have the ability to use more intelligent words than that.

While I don't like walmart as well, I also wouldn't leave my basket at the front counter. Even if I didn't agree with you on that point, I wouldn't lower myself your 'standards' over such a minor, insignificant issue.

Hmm, so you're saying I'm an asshole? lol I couldn't resist. I don't care how extensive a vocabulary or an education someone has--sometimes an asshole is an asshole. ;-)

The hypocrisy of the Wal Mart complainers never ceases to amaze me. In the same breath they talk about hating Wal Mart, they talk about their shopping experiences there. IF YOU HATE WAL MART, SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE! Ah, but that would take away having something to bitch about I guess. ha ha

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    It's not worth the few measly dollars of savings on just a few items to constantly shop there."
    Maybe not if you have other options within reasonable driving distance. However, with the price of gas these days I'll drive the four miles to the local WalMart instead of driving 30-40 miles for something else.

And that's why they build one every three miles and put others out of business.

• John Doe
    John Doe

No store can put another one out of business. A business's failure or inability to compete puts them out of business. If you don't like Wal Mart, vote with your dollars. To whine about Wal Mart putting others out of business because their prices are too low is a bit silly.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I, too, do not like going into Walmart. But, myy beef is about Chinese goods. I understand that they are cheaper to make in China...but they still seem expensive when they get here. A simple baby block set, made out of all plastic, is still $5.00! There can't be that much $$$ in making that. Yet, the savings are not passed down to us consumers. No wonder Walmart enjoys a 30% profit margin!

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit