Disgusting comment re: education from Tacoma 2007 District Convention

by Justitia Themis 124 Replies latest jw experiences

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Jeez!!! What a load of C...R...A...P!!!!! Makes me wonder, what kind of "Paradise" are they exactly expecting without educated people. What kind of life would that be?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Think of the youngsters there, maybe bored as all Hell, maybe crayoning,

they hear:

" Jehovah will KILL all educated people."

In 10 - 15 years this subliminal program will kick in. They will not want to go to college.

WHY ? "I don 't know - it seems wrong somehow."

Irony is the Bethel asked for experienced electronics men a few years ago, One brother with over 20 years practical experience volunteered, but was turned down as he "only have a degree, unfortunately we are seeking those with a degree in the subject."

They have actively fostered mediocrity and will reap the results as the excrement rises to the top.

HB

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Sounds like the speech from ignorant members of a C.U.L.T.

• Brigid
    Brigid
    load of C...R...A...P!!!!! Makes me wonder, what kind of "Paradise" are they exactly expecting without educated people. What kind of life would that be?

It reminds me of the Khmer Rouge version of paradise, if you ask me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

Eventually you could be killed for so much as wearing glasses, so despised were the educated.

sad

sad

sad

• Quandry
    Quandry

This is from Saturday afternoon program. The speaker first starts with what he called the "alphabet soup" of degrees....A.A., B.A., M.A., Ph.D., etc.; he said they were nothing more than "sheepskins on the wall." One of his closing comments was that at Armageddon, educated people will be able to add a few more letters after their names...D.E.A.D. ....ah...yes, everyone laughed and clapped. How very Christian.

Well, I may be droning on about this but I am just so disgusted at this comment.

Because a person has an education does that mean he is deserving of death?

Where would this idiot be if we did not have educated people? Who would build the roads that brought him to the convention? How about the sound system? If not for educated people we would not have electricity, or buildings, or doctors, or geologists, or meteorologists, or teachers, etc.

What we would have are very clean floors and windows, and backward people without abilities to progress.

What drivel!! AAHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

What was the name of the talk?

The Superiority of Being Taught By Jehovah.

Several times he emphasized that "higher" education is ANYTHING past the 12 years of legally required education. The reasons he outlined for avoiding education were as follows:

1) The high cost; it takes years to pay back the loans.

2) Once you start working, you are expected to devote many hours to your career.

3) You are exposed to corrupting influences and a corrupting environment [as opposed to the morally uplifting influences and environment of the trades.]. He specifically referenced binge drinking and said that "a study" showed that 44% of college students binge drink. I did a fact check, and that is about right. However, that also means that 56%, OR THE MAJORITY of college students, are NOT binge drinking. It is a sad commentary about our youth if we feel them so morally bereft and spineless that they will not be able to go ALONG with the crowd and refrain from binge drinking. If they can not go WITH the crowd for good purposes, what hope do we have that they will go AGAINST the crowd's bad purposes?

Additionally, the percentage of college binge drinkers usually mimicks binge drinking among the general population in any given State. So working or going to school places one in the same alcohol environment.

These reasons were all that were presented, at least all that I have in my notes. Sounds like a pretty weak case to me.

Justitia

• sf
    sf

his closing comments was that at Armageddon, educated people will be able to add a few more letters after their names...D.E.A.D. ....ah...yes, everyone laughed and clapped.

And I'M "hateful and disgusting"??

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

sKally

• emptywords
    emptywords

their ignorant, jealous and trapped in their own folly.

• mavie
    mavie

Recording? This would be very helpful in 'waking up' some current JW's.

I'm interested in the context of the D.E.A.D. comment. Was he inferring this would happen because a college grad on average would spend more time away from theocratic activities than a high school grad? I've always heard from members that college education is not discouraged. Rather, it's the tendency for a college grad to drift away from the org that has them worried. It's doublespeak..but to a dub it makes sense.

They are constantly taking a statistic and inferring some parameter for an entire population. If they actually had some college education they might realize this.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Irrespective of the Assembly comment, It always bugged me that the "Society" would decry higher education and at the same time favour those elders who had "misspent" their youth at University. Such men were in demand at the Bethel for the computer programmes among other things . Those with professional qualifications in the field of construction and Planning were elevated to the Regional Building Committee. Indeed the achievements of the Borg in such things could not happen without them.

Did these men regret the way they spent their youth?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit