Disgusting comment re: education from Tacoma 2007 District Convention

by Justitia Themis 124 Replies latest jw experiences

• AlanF
    AlanF

I also like to hear about idiotic comments like this.

Back in 1983, it was similar remarks from a Bethel speaker at the Gill Coliseum in Corvallis, Oregon, that finally put me over the top in my anger at the Watchtower Society. I endured many an assembly in Corvallis and Tacoma until I finally made the break.

AlanF

• QUEEN_BITCH_JACQUELINE
    QUEEN_BITCH_JACQUELINE

What a douche bag ....

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

Does this mean that Shane Brady will be destroyed at Armageddon?

• VM44
    VM44

What is the name of the "Brother" who gave this talk?

I want his name. Seriously, can someone provide it?

PM it to me if you don't want to name him in public!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Was this a manuscript talk?

Or was the "D.E.A.D." comment something the speaker made up on his own?

--VM44

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It sounds like this brother has a degree in BS

• jimbob
    jimbob
    The speaker first starts with what he called the "alphabet soup" of degrees....A.A., B.A., M.A., Ph.D., etc.; he said they were nothing more than "sheepskins on the wall." One of his closing comments was that at Armageddon, educated people will be able to add a few more letters after their names...D.E.A.D.

Actually, I'm okay with this comment from the platform. Because the D.E.A.D. will have to include the WT lawyers who unethically (and unsuccesfully) defended the WT from child abuse lawsuits.

This is actually quite funny to me. My mother attended this convention in Tacoma that weekend, but coincidentally, attended my graduation commencement the week before. She is a very loyal JW, and I have had this conversation with her many times about higher education. She feels very differently about it than the WT. In fact, she even told me she's known several young ones recently who are attending a university (a four year university, not a technical college).

Believe me, the attitude of many witnesses has changed. I could see it before I left the borg in 2002. This is a new generation of dubs. All the seal clappers who attended will listen and nod their head in agreement, but come Monday morning, they carry on with their lives and business as usual, including attending college. The people of my generation (Gen X) pretty much do what they want. They strive for nice jobs, careers, family, cars, houses, and vacations. They only fit in the JW lifestyle as it fits them personally. This will only be more prevalent as Gen Y comes up through the JW ranks, if any of them are still in the org by then.

• jasminder
    jasminder

This is just so timely....... To use the towerspeak

I was studying with the dubs for a year... escaped just in the nick of time (seriously, I had only five pages of the Bible Teach book left). I went to last year's convention in Tacoma!! And all the while, my study conductors (and my dub boyfriend) KNEW that I was enrolled in UNIVERSITY... to get my health care degree! The animosity towards anyone with more than a high school diploma is palpable in the halls.

The hilarious part is--as at least one other person noted--they will accept these supposedl damned souls into places like Bethel! In fact one of the elders had the cajones to suggest to me that if I was still single when I graduated, I should go serve in Bethel!!! Yeah right.

I said sayonara to the whole clusterf*** about 8 months ago. My ex spent tons of time trying to convince me that dubs bore educated people and students no ill will. I hope he heard that and realized what a liar and a hypocrite the WT has turned him into. Maybe it will even make him think..... Granted, the content of the talk definitely frowns on thinking.

• VM44
    VM44

What the speaker said about degrees being "nothing more than 'sheepskins on the wall.'" needs more comment.

Did the speaker prove this statement? Does he mean to imply that a degree is simply a piece of paper and does not represent years of study and training in a particular field?

An audio recording of this talk needs to be made available on the web for downloading. This is too good an example of Watchtower propaganda to be forgotten.

What was the name of the talk in which the statements were made?

--VM44

• 5go
    5go
    The reason they discourage AA, BA, BS, MS, PHD?

Once you get one or more, chances are you are

G.O.N.E.

I want a bachelor science degree ao it can be on the end of my name. 5go B.S. Fits,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit