Disgusting comment re: education from Tacoma 2007 District Convention

by Justitia Themis 124 Replies latest jw experiences

• VM44
    VM44

PH.D. stands for "Pizza Home Delivery"

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Tee hee. 1 year to go for Mysterious, Hon. B.A. I think those extra 3 letters are oh so sweet. :)

• 5go
    5go
    PH.D. stands for "Pizza Home Delivery

Well I am a PHD

5go PH.D.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Our convention is in July at the Memorial Colosseum in Portland, OR. I swear to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, if they say anything like that I am getting up with my kids and walking the f___ out. My wife can stay or come with us, it's up to her.

In fact, I am strongly considering just telling my wife that we are going to miss that day. That talk and the sentiment behind it is harmful enough without ridiculous extrapolations from self-important carpet layers and window washers.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

What is the name of the "Brother" who gave this talk?

I want his name. Seriously, can someone provide it?

Lau, Lowl? Circuit Overseer for Washington Circuit #1.

Anyone know him?

Justitia

• DannyHaszard
  • Quandry
    Quandry

One of his closing comments was that at Armageddon, educated people will be able to add a few more letters after their names...D.E.A.D. ....ah...yes, everyone laughed and clapped. How very Christian.

Seriously, if anyone still has not attended a convention and is going to, please tape record the talk on Sunday about being taught by Jehovah. If this statement is in the talk, we will know that it is nationwide and not an isolated comment by the speaker at one Convention.

I think then that letter writing campaigns to newspapers could begin, and I would be glad to start one. If it is one thing most Americans want, it is a good education for their children.

This statement could be very damaging for them. It is at the very least cold, ill-mannered, and insulting to many.

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

"What the hell is the whole "the christ" deal anyway. It sounds so awkward. I think I'll go to spelling it 'teh christ' to further internet-leet-joke-ify it."

I'm thinking they are using the Roman designation "Christ" for "Messiah", which we usually use as "The Messiah".Or maybe they think they are making a distinction without using the name Jesus- I mean to show it's different from other religion's messiahs. But you're right- as usual they are awkward and stilted.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

wow. sheepskins on the wall. that reminds me of the CO's wife who tried to encourage me not to be intimidated by the people at the expensive homes by saying they are all dog houses!

about the D.E.A.D. comment, that's exactly the way they will handle this topic. It's a grey area for them, since they are not disfellowshipping anyone for it. But that said, they also don't want to give everyone the green light. the green light is only for special people, from important families, with lots of money. the rest of us are D.E.A.D. and of course, that stuff is not going to be printed in the watchtower, so he technically never said it.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I would REALLY like this as fact. I am having a heated discussion with a JW concerning this very subject. She says she's never heard or read anything about not pursuing an education. (Is she serious???) Guys....I need this. His name, and the day of the talk.

Thanks....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit