Disgusting comment re: education from Tacoma 2007 District Convention

by Justitia Themis 124 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thank you. That will help a lot. Still wish I could hear it.

• blondie
    blondie

There can be several speakers giving the same talk at these conventions even in the same city...spread the "privileges" around. But if it is official, it will be in the outline/manuscript. If manuscript, can we anticipate this info in next year's study articles. If so, it explains why they have to have a "secret" version of the WT not for public consumption.

Blondie

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Blondie said....

If so, it explains why they have to have a "secret" version of the WT not for public consumption.

Blondie, can you point me to a link about that also? I looked, but lost it. Is this official?

• MeneMene
  • Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thanks so much.

Edited to add that I can't click on the links and when I try to copy and paste them, that doesn't work either.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I recently attended a DC and I believe this talk was an outline not a manuscript. The speaker, while trashing "higher education" which was defined as a 4 year bachelor degree or a graduate degree, was not nearly as forthright with his distain for educated people. They did have the 2 "experiences" where the person in one case thought they were going to be running the company straight out of college with her Biz Admin degree and was shocked to see that she had to work her way up, which apparently she wasn't able to do. She's now a pioneer or whatever, blah, blah, blah.

The comments Justitia heard are really over the top for a DC and I would imagine that the counsel to this brother will be, "we agree with what you said, but you need to season your talks with salt".

On the other hand, I was eating dinner with a friend after Friday's session. He was talking about college (saying it was a waste of time) and said he knew one person who got a law degree and thought that would help in getting accepted to Bethel. My friend (an elder who loves the fact that he knows a couple of people in NY) said how futile this was because the Society sent trusted Bethelites to law school so they could work in the legal department. Although I've hear this said many times here, I have never seen an inside source confirm it. My only reaction was to say it seemed weird to me that the WTS would spend contributed funds to have someone get a graduate degree while discouraging most JWs from getting just a bachelor degree (which in my opinion is the new high school degree). He agrued briefly about college not necessarily being discouraged (the stance that was recently dropped) and I dropped it. However, I was sitting near him the next day and made eye contact with him during this talk. I wanted to make sure he heard what was directly being said that JWs should not pursue higher education.

The harder the WTS gets with this, the less JWs listen. My generation was probably the last JW generation to skip college because of the official WTS stance. Once the horse was let out of the barn in the early 90s, there was no way to get it back in.

• mavie
    mavie

If this talk is ever released to JWD or another website, I believe it will help many break free from the WT.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, please let's keep this on the front burner as many have not gone to the conventions yet. Please record this talk, if you can.

We need proof.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

I have a recording of this talk from the Duluth, GA convention held back on 6/22-6/24. It doesn't contain the "DEAD" comment however.

Link: The Superiority of Being Taught By Jehovah

• mavie
    mavie

Thank you FadingAway. I've listened to that recording and it will be useful. However, finding one with the D.E.A.D. comment would be invaluable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit