Disgusting comment re: education from Tacoma 2007 District Convention

by Justitia Themis 124 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

anyone???

• VM44
    VM44

I suspect that the speaker added his own remarks when giving the talk.

The "joking" comments made in the talk given at the Tacoma convention have not been reported being heard at other conventions.

The "brother" giving the talk in Tacoma should have followed strictly the manuscript as given and not tried to inject his own idea of humor into the presentation, but having done so, what he did does give an idea of how some JWs think.

--VM44

• knock knock
    knock knock

A little late to the thread here. All I can say is that if a dub needs a doctor etc. do you think that they make sure to pick an amateur? Hate to think of getting help from anyone with them fancy letters after their name. Getting a C.L.U.E. would be most helpful to a lot of jws.

Hadda spell something out 'cause everyone else has. :)

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Does anyone know who the brother was? And how many "ear-witnesses" actually heard this? I urgently need this info. Even if it was his "version" of the talk, does anyone have any more details? HELP!!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

My mother is currently listening to recordings of the convention in Tacoma, provided by someone in her congregation. I told her about this talk today, and she "tsk tsk" it. She said this "I don't recall anything at all in the Bible that would be against educating yourself".

I agreed and said "but religions can control it. I guess they want everyone to be a janitor". She nodded her head and said "thankfully, we still have free will".

She has always been pretty much in favor of higher education, and at 94 isn't about to change her mind.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thanks, Mulan. Please let me know if this was indeed said. And if the brother's name was announced. And good for your mother!

• zanex
    zanex

a bit late to this but...i wonder how my pop who has multiple degrees is being treated these days...he even WORKS in a college setting as a professor, administrator he practically embodies secondary education....and now an elder for a while..he has always been a big BIG supporter of education eventho he didnt really push his OWN kids to get degrees...ridiculous...

-Z-

• Swan
    Swan
    The speaker first starts with what he called the "alphabet soup" of degrees....A.A., B.A., M.A., Ph.D., etc.; he said they were nothing more than "sheepskins on the wall." One of his closing comments was ...

"all of those degrees don't make them any better than you brothers and sisters; they don't get free parking here either!"

Tammy

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was counseled by my dear mother to graduate and then get married right out of high school and have babies. 20 years of: Jehovah has provided for me, all right. It's called AFDC, TANF, FAMILY, TAX PAYERS, EX-FRIENDS. I don't want him to provide for me anymore. That's why I'm in college. $6.50/hr gets you qualified for his help! I don't want it!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

His name is brother Lowe; he is serving as C.O. of Washington Circuit # 1. And yes, many others heard the comment, as several in our congregation have been disucussing it. BTW, pronounces his name Low...like it rhymes with cow.

Justitia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit