Has anyone ever played with a ouija board?

by delilah 219 Replies latest jw experiences

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    they asked the Ouija board "what is the true religion?" and the Ouija board replied "Jehovah's Witnesses" That is enough for me not to ever play with a Ouija board.

LOL, that's so retarded... assuming that JWs were the true religion, why the heck would a demon want to tell them that?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    they asked the Ouija board "what is the true religion?" and the Ouija board replied "Jehovah's Witnesses" That is enough for me not to ever play with a Ouija board.
    LOL, that's so retarded... assuming that JWs were the true religion, why the heck would a demon want to tell them that?

Duh! Lore! Hello! Everybody knows the demons cower in fear at the sight of JWs.

They hate poorly-tailored suits and polyester dresses as bad as the rest of us do.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

That's a good point, but assuming that the JW's are not the true religion, why would they say that?

I can imagine some of the JW's in the audience nodding their heads and saying "see, even the demons know we have the truth"

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

why didn't you discuss why her husband did not "believe"? what did he say?

i have experiemented with ouija boards, and detailed it several times on JWD. basically, i tried it for the first time ever and it worked the way people say it is supposed to work. then, when i heard that houdini himself had shown the boards to be hoaxes, i read up on it (gasp!). then i tried again. this time i was blindfolded and i asked my friend to write a word down on a peice of paper and place it face up right behind me on the floor, so the "spirit" could spell it out for me. i asked the "spirit" to do this: silence. next, still blindfolded, i asked the spirit a direct yes or no question. the pointer started moving, but my friend had switched the board from upside-right to upside-down. the pointer went to what should have been "yes", but was actually a blank corner of the board.

afterwards, i thought: "DUH!" ouija boards are either asked "yes/no/" questions, or questions that the user generally has a good knowledge of, if not full knowedge (most of the time).

plus, it's a documented phenomenon by psychologists: ideomotor effect. http://www.skepdic.com/ideomotor.html

personally, i encourage anyone who is interested in knowing about this to test it out for themselves. don't just stop at playing with it... TEST IT! and don't worry, there are no demunz. ouija boards are excellent examples of how people:

1. have no idea what their brains are doing behind the scenes.
    2. jump to unparsimonious conclusions about phenomena.
    3. feed off each other's curious credulity.
    4. don't want to go home and say: "ya, we played with a ouija board, but it didn't tell me anything new."

tetra

tetra

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I believe there are demons, and there have been many experiences of people seeing the piece move by itself, without any hands on it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I believe there are demons, and there have been many experiences of people seeing the piece move by itself, without any hands on it.

Like so many have said J-G, maybe it works because you believe it will. Stop believing, and it will stop working. Sounds easy enough.

• wiegel
    wiegel

I remember playing with them in high school at slumber parties, but I don't remember them ever revealing anything incredible.

Then, one day in college a group of us got together to "summon the spirits". The 2 girls who put their hands on the pointer were blindfolded. I was selected to write down the letters it pointed to. I started recording the letters,which at first seemed unintelligible (the text is void of punctuation,etc), and then suddenly I realized that the string of letters was actually a SENTENCE. I screamed and told everyone what was happening.

It made such an impression on me, that I think I can still remember most of it. Here it is: "m a m a m a mary little, she will die, die by fire, see how the face melts".

It feels like there was more to it than that, but the weird thing was that there was a girl in our class whom we called "Little Mary". She was flying home for the holidays the next day and we started to imagine the worst.

I had no doubt then nor do I today that there was "someone" else there with us. Never had that experience again - well of course not, I became a dub at 21.

Trudy

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Whether one believes in it or not, a piece that moves by itself is definitely supernatural, and not anything that we humans can do. I can believe all I want, but the only way a game piece is gonna move is if there is something "otherworldly" moving it.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I've never played with one, but I have never experienced any paranormal phenomena in my life. What's strange is that my parents share many experiences about paranormal activities that supposedly occurred in our home. They claim all sorts of unexplained occurrences happened in our house that can only be attributed to the demons. I lived with these folks for roughly a quarter century and somehow I managed to experience none of it. When I was a child, of course, I would often hear them talking about demons and such and would make up my own little stories about things I had seen, but it was all a lie on my part. I wanted the attention. They took it all as further "proof" of the demons interference. Until I see something myself, I believe it's all in people’s minds.

Here's something interesting that wikipedia has to say about Ouija boards:

"Skeptic and magician James Randi, in his book An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural, points out that when blindfolded, Ouija board operators are unable to produce intelligible messages. Magicians Penn & Teller performed a similar demonstration in an episode of their television show Bullshit! in which the operators moved the planchette into what they thought was the positions of "yes" and "no" without knowing that the board was turned upside-down, which caused them to move the planchette into blank spaces on the board."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija_board

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Believe me J-G. I am not trying to discredit you or anyone else.

I am just sseking to understand things in a reality-based way.

My question is, why does it work for some and not for others?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit