Atheists, Why the Anger?

by XJW4EVR 147 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

For the sake of clarification, "the fool" mentioned at Psalm 14:1 is not the fool denoted in this discussion.

Footnotes:

1. Psalm 14:1 The Hebrew words rendered fool in Psalms denote one who is morally deficient.

steve

• jelcat8224
    jelcat8224

ok ... speaking as a believer, I think that the problem arises when either side asserts his/her view on others. Just for the record, I have disagreed with almost everything perry has said. I have found his comments to be offensive and dogmatic. Now, this being said, theists can disagree with each other just as much as they can with atheists. I have never had two athiests in the same room with me but I am sure there are atheists who disagree with one another as well. Every person has different morals, different values, different prioirities. One cannot genrealize atheists any more than one can genrealize theists.

just my two cents

jelcat

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    Have you ever told a lie? Have you ever stolen anything.... no matter how small. Have you ever judged anyone for victimizing you by way of the same crimes that you are guilty of? You are not good.
    I don't need a book Lola. I need a Savior to step in and pay my sin debt and let me off the hook for my crimes. Likewise, you cannot do that which you profess and know to be right regardless of what you do, think, imagine or otherwise. You must be born again.

Perry

Wow. Dude. I was about to ask "What happened to you?," but then I just had a flashback to riding home from a district convention with you in the late '80s and you were so excited because your father had figured out some mathematical Biblical algorithm that pinned down the exact date of Armageddon. And you were really pumped about getting your spiritual life on track because the end was so close (sometime within the next two or three years at the time) and you were so happy that your dad was smart enough to figure it all out and share it with you. And as always, you weren't watching the road.

I took you with a grain of salt on that scary, weird ride and I take you with a double dose now. I can't think of a delicate way to put this, so here goes. Have you considered talking to a mental health professional? Not being in any way sarcastic here.

HL - nice agnostic (By the way, great post, Rabbit)

• gymbob
    gymbob

Perry~

Just because the universe began doesn't = you're biblical god.

Somebody, a looooong time ago did something to cause what we now call home. That person is loooong gone.

Take for example the bugs crawling around in your backyard....your yard is their universe. Because you fixed up the yard, that doesn't make you the god of the bugs, does it? Does it mean you WANT to be worshipped? Do you care about, and try to communicate with those bugs? Of course not.

What we have as a universe started so long ago, NOBODY will ever know how it all started in our lifetime. Bummer, uh?

What we DO have is life now. And I for one don't plan on wasting any of it in a kingdumb hall or church, hoping that I lived good enough in this life, to make it to the next.

I try to be a good guy. But there isn't a god that can fairly say that I have a debt to be paid for being a "sinner", this is WHAT WE ARE! It's not called sin, it's called LIFE! What did any of the billions of people on the earth now do to incure any debt that crusifying a really nice guy can fix??

What color is the sky in the world you live in? Gymbob

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Perry wrote:

But the god of the Jewish people has been viewed as truth and not mythological and there in is the problem atheist have with believers.

Balsam,

Did you ever consider that he might still be alive? Hundreds of people saw him die and return from the dead. Many millions of people will publically testify that God himself has "spoken" to them through a direct transfer of information.

How can you be so all knowing so as to speak for all human beings just because the Creator hasn't revealed himself to you? BTW, failure to prove your all-knowingness illustrates that the problem you refer to is only an illusion in your own mind.

Perry, respectfully, I think you might owe Balsam an apology. She, like you, is a Christian. Perhaps you didn't read her post fully. Her husband is an atheist, but she attends church.

Now, then, to answer the question of the original poster, I have to admit that I am without a belief in a god. So, I suppose that makes me an atheist. Yes, I still read the Bible. I still ponder questions of existence and morality. I still care about humanity and the planet. So, do I get angry? Anger is a human emotion, so, yes, I get angry. I get angry at bad manners. I've seen quite a lot of name calling from both sides of the fence on recent threads. There is a fundamental lack of respect being shown by a few posters for the beliefs of others. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion, even a passionate one, as long as there is respect. Also, it often helps to have a sense of humor. I certainly got a chuckle from Lt.Cmdr.Lore's post!

Dave

• Vinny
    Vinny

TROUNCE TIME!

I see lore posted this silly fairy manifesto in two places. That means my reply to lore caan go in two places now. Cool...

By lot's o luck and many fat chances!

Even in controlled settings.

Even with all the parts right there in front of them.

Atheists get buried by this little problem they have.

Sorry but every time I have to do this:

Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahah

Poor atheists do not like being in mud. But when we offer them a way out, they say, no thanks, I like the mud better.

Poor atheists.

Poor mud.

Poor vettes.

Tsk tsk.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Let's see now, Vinny, if you can answer a simple question:

Where did God get his morals?

Of course, we all know that you can't answer this simple question without raising a glorious host of problems that you and your ilk don't want to think about, and don't want to tackle.

Despite repeated demands on my part, even on the thread that he himself started on "morals", Perry has run away. I have little doubt that you will do the same.

AlanF

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Perry

Why should I falsify something you have not proved?

I could equally quote some 'holy' scripture from the Hindu, Judaic, Islamic, Sikh or other religious tradition, say, there you go, prove Brahma/Adonai/Allah etc. doesn't exist

I proved (unchallenged I might add) that it is impossible to prove that God doesn't exist.

You didn't prove a thing, you just copied a very old and hackneyed, extremely well known logical argument. One cannot prove the non-existence of something which you cannot prove the existence of. You may well impress yourself and your monkey with your opinion of your intelligence, but don't assume we have such low standards.

The scripture doesn't say that the doubter, or the one who is unsure is a fool.... only the one who claims definitively "there is no God".

But sweetums, it is equally true any one who claims definitively there is a god is a fool.

Vinny

...but what is NOT "fakeness" here, is the reality that you have an entire UNIVERSE, EARTH, and LIFE on that earth SITTING IN YOUR LAP. Now, HOW'D THEY GET THERE THEN? All from nothing buries atheists every time. Poor atheists have no way out of the mud with their beliefs.

Dear Christiotroll, the only thing that stops your theistic argument from suffering from exactly the same problem (something from nothing) is because you use the logical fallacy of special pleading to get round it. If this makes you happy and enables you to lead a happy and fulfilled life, good for you. Do not expect everyone else to have such low standards though.

Junction-Guy

Another thing I have noticed is that the Atheist XJW's are'nt nearly as friendly as the christian JW's, and they seem to lash out more at everyone, no matter what the subject involves, be it politics or religion. Atheists hate Bush, they hate the Bible, they hate traditional american life, they hate just about everything except other atheists.

Well, maybe your opinion is a wee bit slanted by your beliefs regarding god and politics, and your inability to even attempt forming an objective viewpoint. If you were a left-wing atheist, you'd think theists weren't nearly as friendly as atheists.

greendawn

Please, try to restrict yourself to factual argumentation in supporting your beliefs. Please provide support for your claim that atheists who know anything about linguistics say "... languages get ever more complicated (gramatically) as we go back in time... because they are simpler and easier to learn"

http://www.ancientscripts.com/hl_why.html

~

And may I remind most of the theists on the board that they are atheists too? Theists are atheistic regarding all but one god, for exactly the same reasons atheists are atheistic towards all gods. It's just theists are inconsistent and incapable of substantively differentiating the gods they disbelieve in from the god they do believe in as regards proof.

• TopHat
    TopHat

The tooth fairy brings us money, Santa brings us nice shiny things, and the Easter bunny gives us candy. God allows children to suffer when he has the power to stop it. Santa wins.

Santa and the tooth fairy DON"T always deliver, because they can't afford it..ya know?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Vinny, a simple question for you:

Who created God ?

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit