by XJW4EVR 147 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
  • found-my-way
    found-my-way

thanks jgnat

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Jgnat,

I hope that your very focused and pertinent post above does not get killed in the crossfire. It deals with an important issue often overlooked by those who seek to peddle their religion and is one of the reasons that believers such as yourself and Ross are always listened to and treated with respect.

I would also add a question. Where have all the intelligent apologists gone? In the past this Board has had religionists whose posts were actually worth reading, and who had the ability to present their posts with a modicum of logic and critical thinking skills, but the past couple of years all that show up are people like Vinny and Perry, who are frankly dense as boxwood and nowhere near as useful.

Being what I term a reluctant disbeliever who no longer believes in BWAAAHHHHHHHH, I am interested in what yourself and Ross and other intelligent believers have to say, as I am sure are many other posters. That the debates become vigorous on occasion is to be expected, but please, do save us from the Vinny's and Perry's.

Best regards - HS

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

It is higly unlikely that we are going to resolve the evolution question or the existence of God on this thread. As for "Why all the anger?"(Thank you WAC), I think the thread has demonstrated very well. When I finally decided to contribute I want to answer why an athiest might get angry at a Christian. I won't bother with the angry at God question.

I've learned a few things, I think, hanging with all you fine folk. I should never assume the spiritual condition of the person I am talking to. I was never cut out for evangelism anyhow, it's too much of a personal invasion for me to engage in it.

Now and again, an evangelist will approach me and try and determine my spirtual state. They do this by asking where I go to church, etc. This happens as much in the evangelical churches as at the hall. Nowadays, I am insulted. I realize now that they have no interest in me other than as an object of their message. They don't care if I am a grandma, or that my garden is lush with perrenials that promises to be a beauty this year. They don't care about me as a person .

I am sensitive to that now, that we must treat each other as whole human beings, with depth and heart. That takes time, that takes compassion, that takes walking a mile in their shoes. I am convinced that this sort of energy is what is needed to end all wars, both across the fence and around the world.

Evangelists, how would you feel if a stranger walked up to you and adjusted your collar and tucked in your shirt? Wouldn't it feel like a personal invasion? Had they earned permission for that sort of intimacy? Wouldn't you be tempted to respond in anger, slapping that hand away?

jgnat,

I must say that this post has stopped me in my tracks. It's almost as if I got punched in the gut. You have hit upon the key issue that is wrong with so much of 21st century evangelist techniques. I believe that I have more to say, but I want to chew on your rather insiteful and thought provoking post some more.

Thank you for sharing that. I am very greateful.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    hillary_step: Where have all the intelligent apologists gone? ... I am interested in what yourself and Ross and other intelligent believers have to say, as I am sure are many other posters.

Where have they gone? I think they were drownded under the weight of popularity. I think this is a WEB symptom, not unique to this board. The web is for everybody now, not just the geeks.

Being an intelligent apologist, I have no interest in apologizing for bible inconsistencies, evolution, the nature of God, or how many angels dance on the head of a pin. All of these are ancient debates with no hope of resolution, as we cannot call in the objects of our observation to settle the argument.

NOW the discussions I have no fear of treading in to, is how are people to be treated, morality, and ethics.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

For people who are still religious, what are your views on gays? I don't really want to start a new thread on it because I think it ties in with what jgnat is saying about morality.

For me, it goes against my own morality to think of them as sinners or somehow doing wrong, and yet in the Bible it teaches that it is wrong.

I'm curious how religious people address this issue. Is it still wrong because the Bible says so, or are your own morals changing your view in this matter?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Serotonin, I'd give that it's own thread.

• looseend
    looseend

I think you should start that as a seprate thread too.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    And if you mean Hitler, plenty of evidence shows he was Christian anyway.

And he was a vegetarian too.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Wars fought in the name of vegetarianism = 0

Wars fought in the name of Christianity = too many to mention

With Hitler, I'm not saying he did what he did BECAUSE he was Christian, just that he obviously didn't do it because he was atheist. Many people still believe he was atheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit