Atheists, Why the Anger?

by XJW4EVR 147 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

With regard to the atheist and "the American way of life", let's have a look at the founding fathers opinion of the Christian God.

If we did a good act merely from love of God and a belief that it is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist? ...Their virtue, then, must have had some other foundation than the love of God.
    -Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Thomas Law, June 13, 1814
    You say you are a Calvinist. I am not. I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know.
    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Ezra Stiles Ely, June 25, 1819
    Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.
    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Short, April 13, 1820
    Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.
    -Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!
    -John Adams (letter to Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 3, 1816)
    There exists, I believe, throughout the whole Christian world, a law which makes it blasphemy to deny or doubt the divine inspiration of all the books of the Old and New Testaments, from Genesis to Revelations. In most countries of Europe it is punished by fire at the stake, or the rack, or the wheel.... Now, what free inquiry, when a writer must surely encounter the risk of fine or imprisonment for adducing any argument for investigating the divine authority of those books??-- John Adams

Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifiying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity.
    -Thomas Paine
    Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize humankind; and, for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel.
    -Thomas Paine
    All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.
    -Thomas Paine

During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.
    -James Madison
    Ecclesiastical establishments tend to great ignorance and corruption, all of which facilitate the execution of mischievous projects.?-- James Madison

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason: The Morning Daylight appears plainer when you put out your Candle.?-- Benjamin Franklin,
    I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies.?-- Benjamin Franklin

In those parts of the world where learning and science have prevailed, miracles have ceased; but in those parts of it as are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue.?-- Ethan Allen

steve

• bluebell
    bluebell
    No one gets as upset over the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, as I have seen some of the atheists on this board get over the slightest mention of God

people don't kill in the name of the tooth fairy, santa clause or the easter bunny. they kill in the name of god though. priests pray over the troops. people do suicide missions so that they will get into paradise with god.

I don't know what I believe still. Only 3 years out and still cleaning out the dub view of religion.

• Balsam
    Balsam

You asked:

My question why do you get so angry over a mythical being? No one gets as upset over the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, as I have seen some of the atheists on this board get over the slightest mention of God. If a person chooses to believe in God isn't hat his/her own choice? Why they anger, almost to the point irrationality?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All other mythical being are recognized as Mythical aren't they???? People don't believe in say the Greek or Roman gods do they? People know they are mythological human created Gods these days. But the god of the Jewish people has been viewed as truth and not mythological and there in is the problem atheist have with believers. Believers will say that this God of the Jew's it true and the bible story is true and that if you don't believe it you will be condemned to some horrible realm for not believing. My husband is atheist and he is totally upset with the mentality of believers. Now I attend church but I understand the biblical story to be man's explaination of the divine and not necessarily truth. That is why he and I get along so well. But when we must interact with believers they put down and criticize my husband for his lack of belief in the bible and the God of the bible. They put pressure on him to believe which is just wrong and in my opinion not a reflection of Christ teachings. Why is it that believer's consider atheist irrational when they themselves equally irrational in putting pressure on unbelievers to believe something for which there is no scientific proof?

This is how I see things.

Ruth

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Oh and just FYI:
    Earlier I mentioned 'fairy rings' well I acctually meant 'fairy circles' I wasn't aware there was a difference before.
    Lore

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

I'm an atheist and I don't hold any anger toward believers, not personally or in this forum. I have read some of the postings and comments here and I'm seeing that people

can get a little testy with one another, thats to be expected given this emotionally sensitive subject. Perhaps though it's a good thing for people to express themselves and to vent their

personal opinions, this forum just gives people that opportunity. Just comment respectively.

• Perry
    Perry
    people

can get a little testy with one another, thats to be expected given this emotionally sensitive subject.

Dan,

With all due respect, what could possibly be so troubling about nature that would cause so many atheists to become unhinged and slobbering with venom? Surely you've seen the little nature show I posted... The Wonder Of It All.

"THE FOOL HAS SAID IN HIS HEART THERE IS NO GOD". This is totally different than me saying hey guys...I can prove God's existence which I never have. I could understand that drawing some anger because of its unprovable nature. However, when the shoe is on the other foot with the posit "I know God doesn't exist", many atheists start falling all over themselves to attack the believer (who may have had a direct revelation from God) who simply praises God for pretty natural things.

This is way out there in deep psychological problem land and why these individuals are to be pitied.

• lola28
    lola28
    what could possibly be so troubling about nature that would cause so many atheists to become unhinged and slobbering with venom?
    many atheists start falling all over themselves to attack the believer

1. I'm 100% sure that I did not at any point become "unhinged" nor did I begin "slobbering with venom".

2. I don't think many atheists wake up in the morning and say "hey it looks like a good day to start attacking some believers", I find that most of us could care less about what you believe in, if you believe in god good for you, if that's what it takes to get you through the day knock yourself out.

Lola

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

the tooth fairy dosent make people kill non believers and santa dosent make folks shun their families..also,no one gets a tax break cause the have fairys on their land..why should churches?

• Perry
    Perry
    But the god of the Jewish people has been viewed as truth and not mythological and there in is the problem atheist have with believers.

Balsam,

Did you ever consider that he might still be alive? Hundreds of people saw him die and return from the dead. Many millions of people will publically testify that God himself has "spoken" to them through a direct transfer of information.

How can you be so all knowing so as to speak for all human beings just because the Creator hasn't revealed himself to you? BTW, failure to prove your all-knowingness illustrates that the problem you refer to is only an illusion in your own mind.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Highlander,No flying spaghetti monster?..what about underpants gnomes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit