ALERT: All Child Abuse Lawsuits have been settled. Millions cashed out???

by What-A-Coincidence 229 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    If "Knocking" airs in our area we could write a letter to the editor about it and include information about the settlements.

I am changing my response if anything about KNOCKING comes up. "Yes, the WT lawyers have learned
    how to effectively lobby their positions. WTS always uses legal manuevering to advance themselves.
    Just recently, they counted the costs of fighting child-abuse victim's claims that WTS policy made things
    worse on the victims. WTS gave millions in California rather than fight the cases. It's similar with their
    Supreme Court fights. They counted the cost of not taking these cases to court, and they realized there
    was more profit in fighting. They lost a case in 1989 about taxing the profits on their literature. They fought
    that case as "friends of the court" in a case against Jimmy Swaggart enterprises. When they lost, they
    stopped charging a set cost for the literature. It's always about the financial costs with them. "

How much of that will I be able to say to a JW? Not much before they shut down.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I always assumed that the lawsuit would be settled, there's no way that something like this would see the light of day really. Just imagine being the lawyer for this what's the only advice you can give, "Well you can either settle the lawsuit for several million dollars, or you can have this go to court in which your orginization policy will be brought to the public front and the bad publicity will be tremendous."

Given the choice there doesn't seem to be any question that they would settle.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Here in the UK, a corp's accounts are made public after they file them.

www.companies-house.gov.uk

This still holds true for the Watchtower (listed as Internation Bible Students Association) even though they have charitable status. Expenses and income will be listed as will their assets. I assume that there will be a separate section for losses due to settlements such as these.

Is it the same in the US ? If so, it may be worth keeping an eye on wherever the accounts are filed ???

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

Does the "gag order" mean that there cant even be a news story about this with a headline to the affect "Watchtower and Bible Tract Society Settles Child Abuse Cases"? I would think that no details would be necessary, just an annoucnment in the TV and Newspapers about this would be a positive step in gettting people to know about this organization

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just extrapolating from French law, I suppose the "gag orders" apply only to the people involved in the settlements. They cannot prevent journalists to do their job, they only limit the information they can get from the people who accepted the settlements; but whatever they can get from other sources is fair game; also, the fact that there was a settlement is usually regarded as public; generally its terms cannot be made public unless required by a court. Of course everything depends on the exact wording of the agreement.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree
    They cannot prevent journalists to do their job, they only limit the information they can get from the people who accepted the settlements

Agreed, and there will be many many documents in the public domain from these cases that journalists can obtain. We just need the story to be picked up.

tsof

• Mad
    Mad

They can find out about it by listening to you losers,,,and all the Church sites....

• Mad
  • Mad
    Mad

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

Unless I am reading Mad's comments wrong and his intended jpg image post (which is a pciture of a bunny saying 'You're so Dumb"), I believe I have just had my first ad hominem attack directed against me and my question hear on this discussion board. All just for asking a question and hoping that the truth gets out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit