ALERT: All Child Abuse Lawsuits have been settled. Millions cashed out???

by What-A-Coincidence 229 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Hope...don't worry about that. Just keep posting keep asking. Some people are just MAD.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Operations: Great Impact

How about at outdoor conventions? Rent a plane with a big banner .... "WATCHTOWER PAYS OUT MILLIONS IN HUSH MONEY"

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Mad said, presumably in reply to a question about how the media can be
    informed of these settlements

They can find out about it by listening to you losers,,,

You are almost right there Mad, I've been spreading the word a little myself today.
    You call us losers, but the real losers will be the watchtower. They have already
    lost financially through the out of court settlements, and their reputation will suffer
    when this news eventually trickles out. I very much doubt that these 14 cases will
    be the last either. I guess they will just have to put more pressure on the flock to
    stump up more cash, or maybe sell a few more properties.

• Gerard
    Gerard

I'm waiting to hear some more details. But at the moment, this is my mixed reaction:

I'm trully happy for the Napa, CA victims, as this $ettlement is synomim of the WT accepting responsibility. I am glad that Kim Norris hit the Ivory tower hard in a place worse than their gonads: Their wallet.

On the other hand, I am extremely disapointed on Kimberly Norris, their attorney. I asked her a couple of years ago in this list and she said she would never settle. I guess everyone has a price...lawyers standing on the sidelines are not exeption.

A lawyer needs more abuses in the future to keep settling them out of court. Why kill the hen that lays gold eggs?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hmm... to settle is the plaintiff's decision, not the attorney's. And it's the attorney's duty to recommend a good settlement, weighing all the factors involved (judicial odds, time, emotional strain, etc.).

• Gerard
    Gerard
    - to do what is best for the victims. Simon

What about prevention?

I'm glad for that handfull of victims, but what about the children that are being abused right now????

Can you tell me this outcome is going to save the current and future sexual victims??

With a gag order in place, exposure by the media won't happen. Any exposure on the internet will be minimal and dismissed as apostate lies. You know the drill....

Victory to this victims means a tear for current and future victims. Hard call to judge.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Coming to this thread late, but I'm very happy to see the clients receive a tacit acknowledgement from the WTBS (even if it is only $$$, but again "money talks") that they were victimized by the organization. That can only be a good thing. As for whether this is (in relative terms) a "win" for the WTBS, as they would not have to go to court, the settlements may indeed generate bad publicity for them, but more importantly they add to a slow bleed of $$$ from the Society, and I think real change will come not from publicity (which can always be spun) but from what hurts them most -- their wallet. If their policies interfere with profitability, I am sure they would change them as they have "simplified" other policies in the interest of eeking out a bit more. That they have settled may encourage others out there to seek their compensation.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

On the other hand, I am extremely disapointed on Kimberly Norris, their attorney. I asked her a couple of years ago in this list and she said she would never settle. I guess everyone has a price...lawyers standing on the sidelines are not exeption.

Everyone, please keep in mind how incredibly damaged these sexual abuse victims were/are.

Few would have survived a much longer road. Several had already knuckled to pressure. Several tried suicide.
    One succeeded at 'death by cop'.

etc. etc.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Now we know the real reason they are selling 6 Brooklyn properties. -abr

The settlement in Napa, CA only scratched their anual $980 million income. The reason they are selling all those apartments in NY is that the WT bought a new printing system, which is highly automatic and extremely efficient, so they don't need so many operators at Wallkill. G

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Regarding the court decision to over-ride the watchtowers long held client/clergy privilege, one that has allowed them to slither away from other law suits, this should give us all hope into what may happen now. I am thinking of all the judicial committee's that have been held, where victims sat crying for help, crying not to be disfellowshipped - people who were not emotionally stable but who were cut off and cast out under direction from the top.

I believe there is such a thing called negligence and/or gross negligence.

If one can imagine now the possibilities that exist -

Kids disfellowshipped for smoking a cigarette. Women disfellowshipped for leaving abusive husbands. Those disfellowshipped for taking blood. Young men and women disfellowshipped for dating a 'worldly' person. Those who have been disfellowshipped for asking questions and labelled 'apostate'. The list can go on forever.

How many of these people were in a highly emotional state and the JC knew that, yet disfellowshipped them anyway. How many of these people committed suicide not that long after? How many had to seek years of therapy as a result of this decision? How many hundreds of thousands have suffered needless pain as their families were directed to enforce strict shunning - and the elders and/or JC enforced that shunning? How many non JW spouses and children have suffered as a direct result of actions taken against the JW family member by a JC? Enough psychiatric studies have been done that clearly identify the mental instability and damage suffered to children raised in cults - it is no longer an easy out to say 'you could walk away'.

Directing your members not to get an education and then use those same members as unpaid labor for building your halls, giving your speeches, counselling people, and distributing your magazines, is unethical. What about the reinstatement process - a confession or direction to confess for those who have been disfellowshipped, does not remain inside the local hall. That confession is discussed with other elders who open your files and read them if you request reinstatement. What about child custody suits where theocratic warfare...or divorce cases where intentional harm is done against the parties through a JC?

I would imagine that the society is busy re-writing some policies and I would be interested to hear the whispers from inside as they arise. They can't afford to wait for too long since up to this point, the door is now open for massive law suits.

sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit