ALERT: All Child Abuse Lawsuits have been settled. Millions cashed out???

by What-A-Coincidence 229 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sf
    sf
    the victims who were involved in the lawsuits for finally they are having some kind of closure in the form of money (which came from donations made to the worldwide Watchtower work).

Shocking!

Perhaps we should be emailing Dateline and 20/20 urging them to do a follow-up

Done. Perhaps an email address is in order for others.

how in the world will they ever know that the JW's settled out of court? They are so isolated

Jw's isolated? That's a myth anymore. The way jws WILL KNOW is by the ones who come here and get the info. They are the ones who should be alerting the so-called "isolated ones".

Go to your meetings and tell them about this YOURSELVES.

Now we know the real reason they are selling 6 Brooklyn properties.

LOL! Yea, Ted truly thinks no one even notices. What a hoot.

sKally

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Is it just me or does this guy look like Evil Incarnate?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I kinda see that snowbird, but this one looks much scarier to me.

Nvr

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I too am mixed w/ emotion. I understand all the pros and cons that come w/ a lawsuit and settling the matter or taking it to trial.

As for the comment that it is up to the client. Truthfully, a good lawyer will lead the client in the direction they want them to go. So I disagree w/ this comment. We are advocates for the client and often times we convince a client to take or turn down an offer. I am sure there was much consideration before the offer of settlement was accepted.

As for people being conflicted I understand that completely. I may understand the system and how it works, but that does not mean that I do not wish for a person to have their day in court.

As for JWs and how they will see it. They will see it however the WTBTS decides to spin the tale. I would not be surprised if the JWs have NO CLUE of what transpired.

As a small note to Kimberly Norris. I give you much credit. I have been on the losing side of a civil rights violation case. It was pending in the south. The black man was pulled over for speeding, kept over night w/o his meds. When he returned to Chicago, he was hospitalized for 13 days and has never been the same. But it was his word against the white officers. And we did not have ONE person of color even to pick from during vior dire. One guy even asked the judge to speak w/ him privately and was excused early during the process and we later found out because he admitted he hates blacks and could not be fair. But I was always afraid of the ones who were not willing to admit their bigotry. Yes, you take your chances if you take a matter to trial. It is a 50/50 chance of losing/winning. Needless to say we lost. I have worked hard on cases and lost. So I understand the position you were in. You worked hard and spent much of your own time and money in the process. Good on you for all your hard work. It is a less then appreciate profession and job. But for one to another, I recognize what you have gone thru and good for your and your firm.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

This is what makes the work of Danny Haszard, Bill Bowen and Barb & Joe Anderson, et al, so important.

Hear, hear and I really hope the victims get some closure over this. IT MAY NOT SEEM LIKE FAIR COMPENSATION but you are hitting them where it hurts - in the pocket book

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

DYNAMITE THREAD , DYNAMITE

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Congratulations on a job well done!

If I might ask a question now though? Way back when the judge decided that this case would move forward to a trial, it was my understanding that the decision was based on the fact that a) a judicial committee cannot be claimed under the guidelines of client/clergy privilege because it is a committee of judges and not a confidential confession and b) that elders are employees (in a manner of speaking) of the WTS and follow the direction of the departments at corporate headquarters. Does this now mean that a precedent has been set in regards to judicial committees? Is there now a crack inside the policy around this practice?

If this is the case, and the society wishes to avoid more financial loss, then it would seem that they have some changes to make. No more control of personal information sent to the society which absolves them of any knowledge. They can either hand over control to the local congregations or stop the use of note taking etc, in favour of perhaps only recording baptisms or marriages, that sort of thing. If there has been a chunk taken out of the armor here, it opens up the door for many other charges against the society for those injured by the actions taken by a committee - and there are many out there.

sammieswife.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

It will be interesting to see if these settlements put certain wheels in motion when it comes to the way JC are held and how information is disseminated.

I find it interesting that a religion that has control over everything, down to what a guy can say that is conducting the WT on Sunday to what people wear after a convention, are going to some how claim to have little knowledge or contact w/ the hall and the guys in the hall running the show. Talk about smoke and mirrors.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I think we've got some pretty good cause to expect the Society will rework their firewalls. Now they know where they have exposure. They'd be fools not to start a fix. If I were them I'd be worried about the next suits before new policies can be implemented.

If change comes by letter, we'd be hearing about it. If change comes by the Watchtower magazine, that pipeline seems to be about 6 months from policy to text to the congregations. That was the time delay for the Awake! magazine reply to the Kerry Louderback-Wood article.

I can't think why they'd delay changes. Maybe the huge Watch Tower Corporation bureaucracy can't agree on new policy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit